Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Port and polish

Just been on the phone to Kelford Cams. The guy was really nice. He can fix me up with a suitable grind for about $150 NZ

The only thing is he did hint that there is more to porting than meets the eye.

It seems that you can make the engine run worse than before if you take off too much material in the wrong places.

I couldn't really take up too much of his time by trying to explain what I have done. So I wonder If any of you can point me in the right direction for these heads.

Cheers

Dirk

Essentally you want to try maintain a similar cross sectional area along the runners. Concentrate more on smoothing out where the intake meets the heads -- I have found this area leaves much to be desired. You'll need to cut the intake gaskets to match -- again, these are terrible as standard.

Areas of larger cross section encourage the fuel to condensate out of the air -- not good. Best to leave things similar to factory unless you have a very good reason not to....

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

Just remember........ I dont have the first clue into what I'm doing.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some technical feedback.  ( best advice I have had so far is to spend money on a good valve grind)

With best regards

Dirk

• Like 1

I am far from an expert on porting, but here is my 2 cents. Unless you plan to make your engine "breathe" better, through bigger carbs, racy cam, and large exhaust (read increase the RPM's), porting will may little if any difference to a stockish engine. You would probably get better results doing a simple port match and cleaning and deburring and a nice 3 to 5 angle valve job. There are other tricks like larger valves and cut down guides etc, but once again, you would only see results at higher revs.

Mark