Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 front strut vs newer front strut

I have a 85 GL that im working on. I also have a set of 88 front struts that arnt adjustable like the 85's. The question is are there any differences in height between the two.

Like is the adjustable one all the way down the same height as the non or all the way up the same height or halfway the same???????

Thanks for your help subi gang.

Clay

hi,

on the ea-82 series there are 3 height variations, 4x4, longest, 2wd mid, and xt shortest, this is measure from the spring perch to the stop on the nub that goes into the steering knuckle, each is about an inch different. i am not sure if any ea-82 had the adjust , i thought only the ea-81 had that feature, one way to tell is the ea-81 has the coil spring centered on the strut , all the ea-82 had the spring offset on the strut at the bottom spring perch.

85 and 86 EA82s had the adjustables.

I put them in my '88, adjusted all the way down they seemed about the same as with the stock struts. and then I went up an inch from there.

Thanks Numbchux, Thats what I was wondering if all the way down was the same height as the non adj strut. That means Im goin to keep the 85 strut and swap it for the non adj with a 2" block. Cuz im selling the car.

Thanks Clay

I'd take a functional(i.e. actually has dampening ability) non adjustable over a blown out adjustable any day.

Any Original 85 or 86 strut is surely blown by now.

Save yourself the work if your just selling it. Not worth keeping 26 year old struts.

Get some GR-2s

Very true.

Thats what I want to get for my brat and my girls loyale. Is a complete set of kyb gr2 struts all the way around.

I have a set of RX front springs that Im goin to be using for the brat. I just need to get gr2's now so I can install them.

Do you know can you or not, run king springs on sec gen subi's? Plus where to get them?

Thanks Clay