Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions please. I understand that the Baja turbo models don't get as good gas mileage as the non-turbo models. I understand they are more peppy but wonder if they are more prone to needing maitanence/repairs than non-tubos. Any thought/considerations pro or con. I have a sport model but looking into buying a turbo model. Thanks All!

Shameless bump.

I wouldn't mind hearing people's opinions. I've done a bit of research, since I'd like to pick up a Baja when the wife's OBS is paid off in three and a half years.

From what I understand, the turbo's obviously going to increase power, but you have to account for turbo lag, too. It's not instantaneous VROOM. On the other side, you've got the following:

• Needs higher octane gas (91?)
  • Regular oil changes become that much more important
  • Regularly checking the oil level, since turbos have reputation for burning oil
  • Increased complexity, possibly leading to decreased reliability and additional repairs/maintenance
  • If the turbo dies catastrophically, pieces can be sucked into the intake and cause all kinds of havoc inside the engine. Keeping an eye on the turbo's health is that much more important as a result.

I'm also rather uncertain about high mileage turbos. By the time I get around to buying one, I fear that most Bajas I find will have quite a few miles on them. I'm confident looking for typical trouble spots for a high mileage NA engine... turbo, not so much.

Anyone wanna correct me, or add any experience?

Shameless bump.

I wouldn't mind hearing people's opinions. I've done a bit of research, since I'd like to pick up a Baja when the wife's OBS is paid off in three and a half years.

From what I understand, the turbo's obviously going to increase power, but you have to account for turbo lag, too. It's not instantaneous VROOM. On the other side, you've got the following:

• Needs higher octane gas (91?)
  • Regular oil changes become that much more important
  • Regularly checking the oil level, since turbos have reputation for burning oil
  • Increased complexity, possibly leading to decreased reliability and additional repairs/maintenance
  • If the turbo dies catastrophically, pieces can be sucked into the intake and cause all kinds of havoc inside the engine. Keeping an eye on the turbo's health is that much more important as a result.

I'm also rather uncertain about high mileage turbos. By the time I get around to buying one, I fear that most Bajas I find will have quite a few miles on them. I'm confident looking for typical trouble spots for a high mileage NA engine... turbo, not so much.

Anyone wanna correct me, or add any experience?

1. You do need to run 93 Octane.

2. I change the oil on my STi as well as about 30 other people I know very well every 3,000 miles with turbo Subarus.

3. Check the oil when you fill the car up.

4. The one main advantage would be that the turbo models will not have the threat of headgasket leaks like the naturally aspirated ones.

5. You are thinking of the cat material in the uppipe become dislodged and getting sucked into the exhaust side of the turbo. You can always get a catless uppipe.

To be frank. It seems that you don't really want to mess with some regular maintenance and checkup items. I can't imagine the turbo lag being THAT bad where it would irritate you.

The bottom line: It really comes down to how the owner before you took care of the car and maintained it.

Good to know. Anyone know of anything in particular to watch out for?

due to heat and age, hoses getting hard and brittle. Have the vital small hoses replaced at 100,000 miles. most failures are due to overheats, caused by coolant loss, caused by old and brittle hoses under and behind things.

1. You do need to run 93 Octane...

To be frank. It seems that you don't really want to mess with some regular maintenance and checkup items. I can't imagine the turbo lag being THAT bad where it would irritate you.

The bottom line: It really comes down to how the owner before you took care of the car and maintained it.

Nah... I just don't know my audience, so I'm trying to generalize, as best I can. I like working on my OBW, and don't mind regular maintenance. My wife, on the other hand, as well as most of my friends... if they turn the key and it doesn't start, they'd be happy simply swapping it out for a new car (I've literally had this conversation with someone, just to tighten down their battery terminal and watch them drive it away...)

I doubt the turbo lag would bother me, too... but again, I don't know my audience.

That last bit is the part that irritates me. I don't know anyone who owns a Baja. Of my friends and co-workers who own turbos... well... I wouldn't buy one off them. That leaves me scouring the country for a used Baja turbo from dealers who will probably never see me ever again. Not fun, but I want one pretty badly :grin:

Edit: Cars101.com claims the Baja Turbo requires premium 91 octane, at least. 'Round here, that's worth 10 cents a gallon or so.

Edited by the_bard

If you are aware of critical service intevals like the timing belt, coolant, and tips and tricks like the oil screen in the banjo bolts, any subaru would have maximum reliability.

If you kept the (turbo) car up in good maintenance, you could get a good price if you decide to sell it later, to someone who really wants one.

I regularly run 88-octane fuel in my Baja turbo when I'm just commuting, but I live at ~4,800 feet. Altitude makes a big difference to what octane rating an engine requires. Even up here, I can see it pulling timing and boost if I attempt to tow or climb steep hills on 88-octane.

I have ~118,000 miles on mine. I bought it kinda abused/ignored at a bit under 80k. I've not had any troubles with mine that have anything to do with it being a turbo. I did have a fuel line start leaking the last time it was -20F. Mine also uses some oil, but it's not terrible so long as I don't try to extend drain intervals. I expect to get at least another 100,000 miles (maybe 200,000 more, I just don't know) out of this truck w/o any major repairs needed.

Follow the oil supply line backwards from the turbo housing...

I'm wondering whether someone might be thinking of the TSB re: screens in oil supply lines for the AVCS and/or turbo? Maybe, maybe not. Either way, the issue is that turbo Subies need their oil changed rather frequently, _regardless what oil you use_, for maximum durability.

• 1 year later...

I own both turbo and none the both are great cars.

the turbo is an 04 with a 5 speed manual and its a blast to drive always puts a smile on my face

the down side to the turbo is the boost is addictive and i average 21mpg :( witch sucks once I tried really hard and got 25 mpg

the non turbo is an 03 and an auto its easy to drive has ok power gets great gas mileage I ccan easily get 30 to 31 mpg and the worst i ever got was 27 but that was driving it really hard

hope that helps