Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 XT6 - Dead Electrical.

I didn't think I had access to site so I posted in meet n greet, I'll just repost here in hopes someone has had this problem. I'm pretty good mechanically but not so good at electircal.

I bought an 1988 xt6 last nov. been doing ok. Its obvious so much of the car is Jerry rigged. So in addition to the below, there me some makeshift fix that's causing the problem.

Saturday I thought my starter went out. Turns out it was only attached with one bolt so wasn't connecting to the flywheel. It was the top mount bolt and it seems its been stripped out. SO, I used a 1/4 inch nut to counter the bolt braced through what looks to be some part of the throttle linkage. It lines up with the Engine/starter mount so it looks to be part of it anyways.

I got everything hooked back up, started up fine, ran to the local hobbystore about 2 miles, but when I went to leave, It fired up and all power died (lights/dash/etc..) and so did the engine.

I blew a fuse I'm thinking but can't seem to fine a break. Checked interior drivers side fuse box. The fuses above the passenger wheel well. Tow truck guy gave me some advice about the linkable fuses (over drivers front wheel) Checked them no appearant problems.

Now I'm thinking the engine is shorting out somewhere. Everything is reconnected from my knowledge.

During removing of starter I,:

removed the positive battery terminal connection.

removed the power lead line to starter.

removed "clip" tab line to starter

Unbolted bottom mounting bolt. Was holding bracket with 2 wires/hoses.

When I put it back on, I just reversed the order.

I don't think its the battery, usually a battery will die slowly, not suddenly. Plus I jumped it and got absolutely now power, and for that reason also not the alternator.

Is there any suggestions? Where should I start, Is there some specific way to check if a fusible linkage is failed? Is there a specific fuse/fusible linkage that is likely causing the failure?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ok, Thanks for the quick help.

I found the negative battery cable disconnected. It appears to connect at the lower starter mounting bolt position. I couldn't see any mounting spot for the negative lead in the diagrams in the pdf's. Does this sound accurate?

I'm not that good at reading the electrical diagrams. So it might be there I just don't see it.

The negative cable needs to ground somewhere on the engine. Close to the starter is good. It really doesn't make a whole lot of difference where it's connected, but like I said, close the the starter, because that's where most of the juice from that cable will be going anyway.