Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A Loyale Flush?

I have a 1993 Loyale with an EA82 engine and 200k miles.

The head gasket blew out and antifreeze leaked into the oil.

I verified the blown head gasket at a radiator shop.

When I drained the oil, white 'goo' came out with the oil.

I will remove the heads and have them serviced with new seals and gaskets.

What I wanto know is do I need to flush/clean out the oil passages and oil pan of any remaining slimy goo? If so, how do I do that without tearing the engine apart. I would hate to install a new pair of heads and gaskets only to clog everything up again with Suba-goo. :slobber:

I couldn't find anything related to such a procedure in the forums.

Any ideas? :confused:

I have heard that you can use a quart of ATF in place of a quart of oil, then run it for a few miles and do an oil change. I personally recently just used an engine flush (it was kleen flo I think), followed the directions on the bottle and it worked great. Same principal - just add it to the crankcase and run it for as long as the bottle says, then do an oil and filter change and voila the oil was so clean I could almost not see it on the dipstick. It also got rid of a tick that she had developed. This was on a Loyale that had a really bad HG, mayo everywhere...

with the engine on a stand, and the timing belts off, you can chuck a 12mm socket in a drill and operate the oil pump this way to pump through.

ATF is good. so is kerosene

A nice, low power drill... don't do what I did. Silly me, what I had handy was my impact wrench. BAD idea. I snapped the pump shaft. Replaced the oil pump from my spares.

Do remember to change the filter.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for all the suggs. I removed the oil pan (wasn't too tedious) and cleaned it out manually (it had a lot of 'mayo'). Then I ran the ATF for a day as you suggested. Installed a new rack and pin while I was at it.

With 'new' heads and gasket and oil it runs like new. :)

Even the valve tick went away.