Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

You would remove all the power seat belt stuff and track, then bolt in the manual belt retractor and such, and pop on the manual B-pillar covers. I think that would be about it. The B-pillers should be the same, why would Subaru want to waste money making new steel stampings when they have a warehouse full of the same stuff from 1985. :)

I was referring to the plastic and such on the pillars, I'm sure the steel wasn't changed. Just didn't know if the slots and junk would matter or just be unsightly. Or maybe you could leave that and put a tiny racecar on there to run up & down :P

Edited by rrgrr

Lol, I'll find a 555 Impreza rally car Micro-Machine  :lol:

But yeah, you do have to change pretty much all the plastic stuff, cause the the B-pillar covers are different, the manual ones have a slot to allow the belt to pass through from the retractor. And if you were to only change those, the plastic piece that runs above the door would look off (Large gap) I suppose if that does bother ya you could leave the rest as is.

I, too, like the red, but then I'm a bit biased......my wagon is 726 Splendor Red, and though the paint is faded/scratched/dented, that single-stage stuff Subaru painted it with is some really really sturdy paint. Hitting it with a bit of compound and then wax brings it right back to looking new. Wish I could get the whole car repainted with the same s.s. paint.

I know me too. With the mount of welding, the paint by the rockers and wheel arches is going to ruined. I wish I could get the whole car professionally repained, but that would take a lot of green to make it 947 Rudy Mica again. Plus I would also have the change 3 or the 4 doors and possibly the gate (Gate I might be able to save) The two rear doors, the bottoms are just gone on them, I remade them with Sheet metal/Rivets and Bonder years ago and its failing, rust is spreading.

Thats why I really want to find a color that really compliments it, I don't want it looking like every Ford Ranger thats sprayed Camo for Duck hunting :/

As for progress, I'm gonna try to drop the gas tank today so I can start cleaning up and welding Subapolooza!

I need me 2yrs ago, I had more done on the Skiwagon by this point than I do on this car. The weather needs to Cooperate!

Dropped the rear diff and got the gas tank out of the way.

2014_0418AF.jpg

2014_0418AG.jpg

2014_0418AB.jpg

Once I clean it up, I'll make the decision one whether or not I need to buy a new one from MillSupply. I'm hoping this one is just surface rust.

2014_0418AC.jpg

Do I need to keep this Banana dooker looking thing? Or can I cap off the ports on the fuel tank and call it good? I understand this is for fumes, but there is also a breather line that runs from the Fuel tank to the emissions stuff under the hood. So would this really be needed? Could the tank build to much pressure?

2014_0418AA.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, after long awaited weather, I made some ok progress on the Loyale today.

Welded up some rust that I had cut out where the filler neck is and applied 1/8" Dynamat to the entire roof to deaden the sound. Also reglued some of the roof slats with RTV and reinstalled the headliner.

2014_0510AA.jpg

I'm not gonna grind down these welds as I don't really car about them blending in. Once I painted everything and apply a hard undercoating these would be not noticeable. 

2014_0510AB.jpg

2014_0510AC.jpg

2014_0510AD.jpg

Next up is to tackle this major hole.

2014_0510AF.jpg

Need to order some new interior press clips as I had to cut most of them to not damage the headliner.

2014_0510AE.jpg

2014_0510AG.jpg

Tomorrow I will get started on the rest of the rust war. Happy Mothers Day!

Edited by TheLoyale