Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

Finally an update. Here are the current things that have been done.

This is what the hole in the passenger side strut tower started off as.

2014_0511AA.jpg

During. This was the hardest spot to recreate due to all the layers. But I think this area is now stronger than it would have been from the factory.

2014_0517AD.jpg

And this is after. I still need to recreate the inner fender wall/liner and another layer to tie the seat backing hinge to the chassis, but the fender wall will have to wait till I get the new wheel arches in so I have something accurate to go off of.

2014_0520AB.jpg

2014_0520AC.jpg

2014_0520AD.jpg

These are the wheel arch stampings from MillSupply. I will need to trim off what I don't need, but they are nice quality!

2014_0517AA.jpg

2014_0517AB.jpg

Subaru with 8-lug Dodge wheel on 245s. Ideas.

2014_0517AE.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale
  • Like 1

Here we go! Over the weekend, I cut the old rocker off and cut out the rust that has formed on the inner rocker wall, now we're in the phase of reconstructing the inner wall, adding some support braces and then the outer rocker can go on! I already cut the new rocker and trimmed it, it looks like it'll match up as close as I can get it and should be good!

2014_0525AA.jpg

2014_0525AB.jpg

2014_0525AC.jpg

2014_0525AE.jpg

2014_0525AD.jpg

• Like 1

If anyone is looking for a good site dealing with any style of body clip, this is the place to go.

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Subaru_Grill_Bumper_Clips_s/304.htm

Yeah, found them last week looking for GM TBI injector connectors.

Are you going to blast the sill pocket, or ??? 

A small blasting bottle with crushed walnut shell would clean that up. Put tarps all around.Wear eye protection & a cap. Or a cheap hood.

I wire wheeled it all, it came off pretty easy. Once I weld it all up, I will coat it well before I put the rocker on.

On another note, I do really need to buy some type of media blaster, it would make things much easier and quicker!

HF Tools has both walnut & soda for blasting now. And the small bottles, but replace the cheezy hand valve with a deadman, which they also sell, very conveniently.  

Ummm, nevermind the deadman. Read the reviews on HF. No so good.

Handheld spotblaster looks promising for detail work.

Edited by czny
  • Like 1

Managed to get the rocker on today! Now its just a matter of getting the lower end of the rocker tied into the floor pan (Gotta make a very long *90 bent piece of metal) :P

Here is some progression shots.

Getting the rocker situated in place.

2014_0531AA.jpg

2014_0531AB.jpg

A little tug and pull and a BFH!

2014_0531AC.jpg

Time for welding!

2014_0531AD.jpg

And the final product, after grinding down the welds. Just need to apply some body filler in the crease and blend it all in.

2014_0531AE.jpg

2014_0531AG.jpg

2014_0531AF.jpg

Also, working on adding a little something to the rear gate for kicks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Removed all the factory sound deadening today, even had a helping hand! Found more rust on the driver side! Never ends until you're done.

2014_0610AA.jpg

2014_0610AB.jpg

2014_0610AD.jpg

Needs a bit more welding on the floor pan, but its taking shape again.

2014_0610AC.jpg

2014_0610AH.jpg

Only the best girls work on Subies!

2014_0610AJ.jpg

Lowered the Suspension tube to gain access to another rust hole.

2014_0610AG.jpg

2014_0610AF.jpg

Rust on the driver side.

2014_0610AE.jpg

• Like 1

Put together the new KYB GR-2s with '86-'89 Accord Front springs. No cutting needed! These are gonna be nice and stiff and handle a good amount of gear.

2014_0618AB.jpg

2014_0618AC.jpg

Also finished reinforcing the passenger side strut tower.

2014_0619AB.jpg

This will be the next thing getting cut out!

2014_0619AA.jpg

Cleaned up and recoated the Brake Proportioning Valve. Getting new Stainless hardware to remount it.

2014_0619AC.jpg

2014_0619AD.jpg

Work is slowing up due to the week long weather.

2014_0619AE.jpg

• Like 1

Put together the new KYB GR-2s with '86-'89 Accord Front springs. No cutting needed! These are gonna be nice and stiff and handle a good amount of gear.

2014_0618AB.jpg

2014_0618AC.jpg

Those are Looking Good, ThomasThumbup.jpg

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

I Hope you could fit the Tempo ones, easily.

You are doing an Awesome Job with the SafariWagon!

Keep us Updated.

Kind Regards.

Finished installed the Tempo springs on the front struts and have bolt the front suspension back together.

2014_0621AF.jpg

2014_0621AE.jpg

2014_0621AD.jpg

Also, this is a USMB First! Retrofitted a '09-'14 Honda Fit rear wiper arm on to the Loyale. Direct bolt on upgrade!

2014_0621AA.jpg

2014_0621AC.jpg

More updates to come!

Thank you again for keeping up on this thread.  I probably wouldn't have bought the '92 Loyale I am fixing up now if I hadn't been following this.  I can't wait to see more updates.  At least it looks like you have good weather to work in finally.  I really need to buy a welder and get going. Is yours flux core or do you use gas? What would you recommend for a machine that is well suited for this type of work?

Edited by Crazyeights

No problem! I always like updating with new info! As for the Welder, I use a Flux-Core. Lincoln WeldPak-100 with either .030 or .035 wire. I would recommend a decent welder, Lincoln, Hobart, Clarke ect. You want a welder that has some temp and wire feed speed adjustments. The Harbor freight welder is more tricky to use as I've seen one in action.

For my welder, typically welding 18ga or whatever these floor pans/body panels are made of, I leave mine on A setting for temp and have the wire speed about 2.5. If I need more heat for thicker metal, I'll put it on the B setting with same wire speed (There is a chart on the welder showing what each setting is best suited for and how fast to make the feed)

I could probably weld 1/4" steel on D setting and feel safe that I got good penetration. Flux-core can do pretty much, and once you use one all the time you can even make pretty welds with it!