Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

90-97 Mitsubishi Montero/Pajero NK/NH

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351059163830?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This doesn't match perfect, but a heat gun and some Sand will take care of reshaping it.

El_Freddo from AUS did this first and this is where I got the idea.

Edited by TheLoyale
  • Like 1

Snorkel fitted! Just need to heat it up and bent it to follow the A-pillar better.

Used a 3" Hole Saw, perfect fit! used a Step drill on the stud holes and adjusted as needed.

2014_0628AA.jpg

2014_0628AD.jpg

2014_0628AE.jpg

2014_0628AB.jpg

2014_0628AC.jpg

Just need to make a custom fit connector for the air box outlet.

2014_0628AF.jpg

I am thinking about leaving it on the car to reform the upper part of it closer to the A-pillar, but I am wondering if the Heatgun will take its toll on the Windshield/Seal? If I did take it off the form it, I would indeed need to make something for reference as to how far to bend it.

Any ideas...?

Oh, yeah I'll have to clean all the sand out lol. I don't have the fender bolted down, I still have to finish the floor pan/rocker area before I can finally bolt it down for good.

I should really take a photo of the driver side rear strut tower, I think it'll be "OMFG" moment for everyone on the west coast :P

Tom, I think you did post pictures of how bad it was? I do remember the rear tube being cracked in half.

Here is my main headache right now

2014_0629AA.jpg

2014_0629AB.jpg

I did finish the passenger side footwell today! Happy with the results.

2014_0629AC.jpg

As for the Snorkel, I was thinking about taking measurements, but I found that it may be easier to bend it while its on the vehicle so I can see right where it needs to be.

Your wheel well looks good compared to what was under the side trim of that Wagon. Why the strut didn't rip out is beyond me. They had filled the whole side of it with foam, totally borked the seatbelt retractor.

Floor repair looks good from the pic.

Looking awesome there Thomas, and it's going to be even better once that snorkel is fitted properly!

Then we'll be L series bothers in more ways than one - you have one of my ideas on your L, I've got one of your parts on mine (the coupe grille!) smiley_duivels.gif

ujwl.jpg

^ That's Nachaluva Matt's Foz where I got the idea of which unit to use after comparing his before it went on his foz ;)

I'm not happy with my bracket on the A pillar - since my snorkel was hand-me-down second hand unit it didn't come with the bracket, this what I came up with using what I had.  Not really neat and I'm still refining it - I got a rivnut tool and inserts to hold the bracket on now, previously I was using a couple of screws (highly NOT recommended!)

rbov.jpg

While I had the sand in mine I took the time to do some bending of the snorkel's intake for a bit more of a natural angle - just makes it look like it's really meant to be there - I'll have to dig up an image of this being done - I used some rachet straps on some choice angles to get a better look, still could have pushed it further... but it's all good!

sw51.jpg

I'm looking forward to the finished product!  I bet you can't wait!

Cheers

Bennie

More progress on the rust repair aspect. Finally this is for the most part, complete. I dreaded this part of the build ever since discovering it, as it has very many different bends/twists and also needs to be very strong as its a key structural piece. Now it is finished! 

2014_0713AC.jpg

2014_0713AA.jpg

2014_0713AB.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates!

• Like 1

JesZek, Once I finish the welding in the area I am planning on brushing on Rust-Oleum Truck bed liner for the entire floor (Like I did on the Skiwagon) then I will be laying down FatMat sound deadening on the entire floor plus inner body panels. I have already used DynaMat for the roof and also reglued the support slats for the roof, No more banging hopefully!

As for the outside, I am planning on painted the Floor/Rockers/Wheel Wells with the same thing, then spraying Paintable, hard undercoating to protect it even more.

Bennie, I am stilling thinking about the plumbing for the Snorkel. Looking at it, I may have to notch out and reweld the frame piece that runs behind the fender, it looks like it may be just too tight. Perhaps I brought back the snorkel a little further than you did which is why you didn't have any issue.

:)

• Like 2