Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

I forgot how big the roof rack is, I can measure it today and post it up. As for the tires, they were about 26.6" in total diameter. I did have to trim the front fenders and it also rub on the rear wheel arch going over pretty bad railroad tracks. I would try to find a tire that is about 25" total. Something like a 195/75 or 205/70. Are you planning on running 14s or going bigger? 15" would be the way to go for a lot more tire options. 14" are starting to fade out as are 13" are non existent, unless you want some cheapie whitewall radials :P 

• Like 1

EA82 fired up for the first time in months. I hooked everything back up in a hodge podge manner just to make it to the Subaru show Aug 17th. I am far from done but will continue with the heavy cutting/welding after the show. For now I am going to finish up some minor things and get the rear of the car back on the ground, take it for a spin and make sure everything is working as it should!

Haven't heard an old Subie rumble in some time now.

• Like 1

I plugged everything back in, fired it up and its awesome as always! Now I have an issue. When I turn my parking/head lights on, it blows the fuse (But the Parking lights work fine when you turn them on via the switch on top of the column)

Also, when I put it in reverse the Back up lights don't work but the rear gate door lock keeps clicking like its locking/unlocking. Why? Everything is hooked up correctly, there is really no way to hook it up wrong. Non of the wires are damaged, yet something is shorting to blow the fuse. Also all the power locks work normally except for the passenger front door, the power lock does not work for some reason now.

Is all this tied together or do I have multiple issues going on. Ideas on how to figure this out? I'm at a loss right now.

-Tom 

...Is all this tied together ..

Yes, I believe so.

When you did the Weldings, are you Sure that no wire got melted? ... If not, then you might start tracking those wires... Maybe there are some crossed connections, some wires has similar plugs.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Figured out my little electrical glitch. I had two brown connectors swapped around as they are right next to each other under the passenger footwell. All fixed now!

So here is what it looks like sitting on the ground, I need to put a new tie rod end on as the stud has no threads anymore (It was a cheep house brand replacement 3yrs ago) I am not going to install a MOOG.

Also put the front seats and seat belts in and am going to drive it to the Subaru show on the 17th as is.

2014_0802AA.jpg

2014_0802AB.jpg

It sits just a little higher now :P I have 13" of clearance under the rear diff.

2014_0802AC.jpg

2014_0802AD.jpg

Can't wait to see how it drives!

• Like 1

Geez Tom, that rear end is about to hit the stratosphere!  What's the lift combo there?  You've got some crazy angles on the rear drive shafts...

Your L is looking great, I'd love to get the paint on Ruby Scoo shining like that, but I know I'd only scratch it again...

Cheers

Bennie

Its a 4" kit from Bill Omlin. The Rear struts are are KYB GR-2s for a 2WD and then MOOG springs for an Accord front. The struts stayed maxed out even after I set it on the ground, if I sit in the bumper the car only goes down about 1/4" and I'm 200lbs. The front struts are Monroe, I think they are just 4WD struts (I can't remember what I bought) with MOOG Ford Tempo front springs.

Tyres are 27" (Needs bigger rubber now)

I'm running a 2" lift with 4runner struts and accord springs in the rear and stock in the front, no lift in the rear just struts and springs, i can believe how much of an improvement it made. i can have all my tools in the back and not bottom out even when i catch air off that speed hump that i didnt see.......

• Like 2

I'm running a 2" lift with 4runner struts and accord springs in the rear ...

Yes, me too. Great improvement for sure.

Here is the complete info on the alternate Suspension parts:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/106807-improved-shock-absorbers-and-spring-coils-on-loyales/

(sorry for hijack the Thread)

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

So after sitting about 150lbs of wheels, sand and tool box in the back, it rides pretty good. Otherwise the tires hope off the ground and gets scary. So now the suspension has some travel, we took it for a little drive yesterday and it didn't do too bad! I hope the springs sag and sag soon, cause I don't think the weight of the interior is gonna be enough. 

Also had to drop in another reman alt, my genuine reman developed a dead spot. Ready for the madison subaru show next sunday!

In my Case, (and also some other USMB Members who used Honda Accord coil Springs on the Rear) we've never need to cut anything from them and they work flawlessly, but two things that could be making a difference here are these: 

• The use of Brand New Coil Springs, instead of Used ones.
  • All the Weight removed from the car's interior.

So, I hope that those coil springs will settle down soon, anyhow, Thomas, please let us Know the Results; also how do you feel the Front Suspension.

Kind Regards.

Subarocket, what rubbing are you speaking of? I indeed have zero rubbing, there is no way the suspension could even compress that far. The wheels are typical Peugeot 14" steelies.

Tom, yes the rear shocks are maxed out with no weight in the back of the car. But since putting weight in back, the car drives outstanding, firm but not harsh. I have been driving it with the weight in the back so I am hoping this will make the rear springs settle down. I will remove all the stuff I have in the cargo area and see if they have sagged yet.

JesZek, you were right! This spring setup is a good way to go. I am now very pleased I went this route!

• Like 1

Oh yep. The rear would rub over large bumps, Not no more! :D

Here are some photos from yesterday at the 8th Annual Don Miller Subaru Show!

Some Imprezas and Foresters caught up to us and the we convoyed to the lot together. 

2014_0817AB.jpg

2014_0817AA.jpg

At the show!

2014_0817AS.jpg

Foxs newly made Woodywagon, which won a trophy!

2014_0817AH.jpg

2014_0817AK.jpg

2014_0817AL.jpg

2014_0817AI.jpg

2014_0817AJ.jpg

2014_0817AM.jpg

2014_0817AN.jpg

2014_0817AO.jpg

2014_0817BH.jpg

2014_0817AP.jpg

2014_0817AQ.jpg

2014_0817AT.jpg

Nicely done Black and White Hawkeye.

2014_0817AU.jpg

2014_0817AV.jpg

2014_0817AY.jpg

2014_0817AX.jpg

2014_0817BA.jpg

2014_0817AZ.jpg

One of the two Bajas that were there, this one is my Fiance's dream car! And yes, it is a Turbo.

2014_0817BD.jpg

2014_0817BF.jpg

Woodywagon leaving.

2014_0817BG.jpg

2014_0817BI.jpg

2014_0817BE.jpg

2014_0817BK.jpg

'94 Legacy.

2014_0817BJ.jpg

2014_0817BP.jpg

2014_0817BN.jpg

2014_0817BQ.jpg

Foxs 3Door!

2014_0817BS.jpg

• Like 1

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for Sharing so many Great photos of that event, looks like it was very nice and Fun; also I recognized some people on the Photos and the Subies are Magnificent; I bet that your SafariWagon was the most "Beast" one 
(in the good sense), it really Looks so Good, prepared for any mountain climb around; I like it very much.

About this:

... JesZek, you were right! This spring setup is a good way to go. I am now very pleased I went this route!

Knowing that the suspension modifications I suggested, satisfies you, made my day ...  :) ... Thank you!

Kind Regards.

• Like 2