Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

Tom, its because my neighbor called the city on my for a violation (Can't have an inoperable vehicle in the driveway) so I slapped it back together and pushed it in the garage.

Bennie, how much does the weather change in Aus in winter? I'm guessing its the rainy season?

Tom, its because my neighbor called the city on my for a violation (Can't have an inoperable vehicle in the driveway) so I slapped it back together and pushed it in the garage.

Bennie, how much does the weather change in Aus in winter? I'm guessing its the rainy season?

WTF kind of law if that? Is it your property or not? If someone doesn't have a garage, is it just flat-out illegal for them to fix their own car? I'd tell your neighbor and the city to get bent!

• Like 1

Yeah I know, pretty lame. But if you look at it, you may own the house and everything on the lot, but your only renting the lot from the city (Property Tax)

Oh and, you can work on your car, but it has to be movable in 72hrs Lol.... So lame.

Yeah I know, pretty lame. But if you look at it, you may own the house and everything on the lot, but your only renting the lot from the city (Property Tax)

Oh and, you can work on your car, but it has to be movable in 72hrs Lol.... So lame.

72 hours! I would have been locked up a long time ago...

Have you thought about moving?  :lol:

• Like 1

Normally the city doesn't just drive around and see if people are in violation, there is a house like a block from here that looks like a junkyard, at least 3 vehicles are tore apart, motorcycles tore apart, the garage exploded (Can't shut the door) porch looks the same etc. No one says anything to them.

My neighbor has become a real chode all of a sudden and keeps starting stuff with us. So thats why we're having the issues. If he didn't write an email to the city, no one would care. :/

Really don't matter as to where one lives. Similar ordinances/regulations/laws what have you, all over the map.

Honestly somewhat surprised one of your neighbors hasn't complained previously about all the cutting/welding/grinding you have been doing on all the vehicles at your place Tom.

Been down that road a few times...

Been talk for quite a few years now of Regulations being set to make it basically impossible, (read that as illegal), for anyone to work on a vehicle themselves.

Noise, un-drivable vehicle, what have you on that.

So much for classic car restorations, custom builds or the like.

Have recently heard of renewed interest in making such a law, mostly from the Automakers themselves. Citing copyright and other such infringements, mostly for "Tuners and the like" there.

This would be Nationwide here in the U.S. of A..

Got a "Move-it-or-Loose-it ticket" on one of the BRAT's, just for leaving it parked in the street and same spot, for more than 24 hours straight.

REALLY!!!! I can't park a registered/insured/operational vehicle on the street for more than 24 hours and not risk loosing it? WTF!?!?!?!?!?

Been waiting for them to say something about Christopher's truck, or the '88 Wagon, seeing as they both have been sitting in the driveway for awhile. Wagon is drivable, truck needs plates/insurance but is otherwise good to go.

It do get irritating at times...

• Like 1

Indeed Tom, indeed. It's real BS going on. I too have read some things about groups trying to make working on vehicles illegal.

I know a lot of the Auto manufactures  (Including Toyota) are trying to pass some bill which would make any work (Tuning done to any currant line vehicle) would be illegal (Unless done by a dealer mechanic) they are basically saying you may own the vehicle, but the software for the CPUs and such is only on lease and altering it in such a fashion (ECM tuning and remapping) is a crime.

I find that seriously offensive. personally, whatever they stick in the vehicle before they send it off to a lot to be sold may be their property, but once an owner purchases the vehicle (Loan or in Full) it is 100% the owners property, not one person can tell me what I can and cannot do with my property (Apart from DOT regulations and such) which only keep you from driving the vehicle on the road, but they can't limit you on what you can do to the vehicle.

Seriously, the world is going down the crapper in so many ways.

Here in Honduras, you can do Whatever work you want to your Cars, inside your Garage and in your House's Sidewalk, as long as the noise you are making, is only during day times; no one makes noises after the 6 O'clock in the afternoon, and no one starts making noises before the 7 O'clock in the morning, its a nationwide Rule. I did the engine Swap on my Wife's car, in the sidewalk.

Usually here, the Neighbours, instead of complaining, if they sees you doing repairs, they asks you to do repairs on their cars ... Yes Honduras has much more disorder, but maybe more freedom as well?

Dear Thomas, I wish you can solve the issue soon, maybe you can place some kind of fence surrounding your House? ... Here we have tall walls surrounding our houses, not only for safety, but also to avoid problems with neighbours...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Wow, interesting side-topic (legality of DIY auto work). 

I used to have a nice driveway ornament (Jaguar XJ-S) for a few years before selling it. It was a beautiful car so that helps. Before that I had an 88 4-Runner I took off the road and sat for many years. 

Never thought about these limitations you guys are speaking of. Hating the thought of it. 

I might be moving to a 6 acre farm with old barns on property which I have always wanted for a place to do car work and other hobbies. 

Hope that works out.

Maybe their is a future business opportunity.... "Open Coop Garages" or something along those lines. Co-working spaces for backyard mechanics ;-)

• Like 1

Well over summer our nightly lows can be between 12ish on a really really cold one to usually around 20-23*C and can peak up in the mid to high 40's, but our usual summer daytime temp is 30-38 with a beating sun.

Winter has cold snaps for up to a week at a time - that's when you know it's snowing in the alps.  These nights will be 0 or below and can be windy, daytime temp would be lucky to reach 12*C.  Usually our overnight temps are around 8-12*C with daytime temps up to 20*C on a warm day.  Then in terms of moisture content it can be anywhere from really dry (frosty) to really moist/wet.  Rain can be light and go for a few days but it's more often than not going to be patchy on/off heavyish rain that could go for 5 minutes up to an hour or two - or it could just be a passing front.

In summer we can still get storms with awesome intensity.  Love them!  And I love the snow too!  Can snow down to 500m in the right conditions, has snowed lower almost 100 years ago now!

I hope that gives you a good overview ;)  It's now about 6pm, sun went down a good hour ago, 12*C and 75% humidity.  Pretty chilly!

I've managed to paint the underside of Ruby Scoo last night in the shed with the heater on.  I haven't really left the house today but did smuggle some parts in to put some of the gearbox back together on the coffee table...  Even had the ok from my better (totally awesome) half!

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

Also interesting that your state has those by laws and that you only own the house and not the land.  That's the same setup as our national capital - the Australian Capital Territory or ACT for short.  The land is all government lease with only the buildings in private ownership.

As for not being able to do what you want that's bullshit.  So glad we don't have that over here, and I find it ironic that over here we're very limited with what we can do with our vehicles for road use but have no restrictions other than noise and if you get really out of hand with wrecks etc inside town town boundaries.  Yet you're allowed to do basically any radical thing you want but have these ridiculous restrictions with what you can legally do on your own block.  Go figure!

I hope you get the better of your neighbour, just be sickly sweet with him ALL the time ;)  He probably wants you to sell up/move on...

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

Good range of statistics about the Weather/seasons around there. Our weather is really out of hand as of late, Climate change more or less. Out Winters have had more snow than usual these past few years, and the Summer temps seem to fluctuate and are either below or above average. It is very different from what I remember as a kid (Kinda like how in the 90s you could actually look at the sun, it was somewhat yellow. Now its just pure white)

As for the whole restrictions thing, yeah its Dingo dung. Although, some other states in the U.S there are heavier enforced restrictions on what vehicles mods can be done and still be drivable on the Road ways. California has A LOT of restrictions (Mainly for the Tuner crowed) everyone wants to be like Johnny Tran :P 

There also seems to be more of a discrimination with vehicle mods aimed towards the the Impreza folks, they get fined for Loud exhausts, non U.S DOT license plate in the front, too low, so one and so forth. yet, My Loyale is louder, I have a Japanese plate on the front, and probably some other violations, yet the Police have never fined me for any of that. (I either get speeding or reckless driving tickets) Haha!

Yeah mate I'm a little passionate with weather and reading it.  When I used to work in a vineyard I could read it very well and had good to high accuracy with getting it right.  This came about due to our studies at uni with reading weather (Environmental Outdoor Ed degree basically).

I've made some good progress on my gearbox with the pot belly in the shed, I hope you're getting the same on your L with good weather ;)

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed reply. Didn't notice the new post.

As for the wheels. I got them from SummitRacing. These are the U.S Wheel Rock Crawlers. 15x7 6x139mm. The tires are Kenda Klever M/Ts 30x9.5"

I got the tires off of eBay for about $550.

Cheers!

Update:

I am going to wire in Dual 12" thin mount electric fans which push 1720cfm per fan. I am going to utilize the factory thermo-swtich wiring, and run that to a relay which would be direct 12v with a 20amp inline fuse (As the factory fan wiring is only a 15amp fuse factory)

Of course all wiring will be soldered and heat shrunk for a professional quality.