Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

Mate! Been a while and your still going on those rear sill/guard panels!!

Your patience is a force to be reckoned with!! Since last posting about the weather I've drive across Oz, broke the gearbox (poorly modified custom pinion shaft), rebuilt it with some really good mates and drove it home again!

Also, a mate shared a pic with me of a vehicle that looks a lot like your Loyale:

post-30199-0-49212700-1468331207_thumb.jpg

^ yours? I'll need to show you how to mod the snorkel so it sits flush on the A pillar ;)

The reason why this pic caught my attention was a) it looks a lot like your Loyale and B) if it is your Loyale I didn't know you had the bonnet scoop and rear facing wrx style vents - when did these happen?

Or is there a copy cat out there? :P

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bennie mate! Long time indeed.

Yeah I am taking my time with the panels and such, along with reconstructing and improving the rear frame rails/bumper mount. I'll need to re-fab the entire rear crash box to make it durable and ridged enough to pull the car out and handle a spare tire on the bumper. I have also been messing around with the Hardtop, making a Rallye' bar with lights.

As for the L-series, it does look a lot like mine. In fact I know whose car it is, It belongs to Brain Dudas, he takes the car on Overland adventures and such. We have talked a lot about suspension setups. https://www.facebook.com/Subaruman5?fref=ts

As for the Snorkel, mine does sit flush with the A-pillar. The Sand and Heat gun trick worked perfect!

Cheers all,

-Tom

• 7 months later...

been great reading through all 38 pages of this. just time flew through 6 years.  I'm continually impressed by all of you here on USMB. I just got my first Subaru (an 88 GL) and I'm stoked to work on it when the weather is nicer and I'm off for the Summer from school. This thread is super inspiring. Thanks for sharing and continuing to share.

• Like 2

Thanks man, yeah its been a long road and it'll probably only get longer. I'll be keen to see your GL and whats up with it!

So this is where we're at now "I pushed away from the table and said, NO MORE CRASH BOX FOR ME MOM!"

DSCF4042.jpg

DSCF4046.jpg

The idea is, I have removed the front and rear wall of the box and removed the frame rails (Where the original bumper mount was) I am going to replace the rear wall (Where the fuel tank captured nuts are) with 6" C-Channel about 46" long, then I am running new frame rails (5x3 1/8" tube) which will slip into the C-Channel and then weld it. Once both rails are in place, I will use another stick of 5x3 to which will be under the gate latch plate and will tie both rails together (In essence, making a rectangle box) no bumper mounting points will be added and it will be recessed just enough to allow a new roll pan to cover it up and appear Factory.

Then it will be just a matter of finishing the rear quarter panels, and the rear flooring. Also need to finish making the front frame gussets and whatever else I may need to tidy up.

The idea is, I have removed the front and rear wall of the box and removed the frame rails (Where the original bumper mount was) I am going to replace the rear wall (Where the fuel tank captured nuts are) with 6" C-Channel about 46" long, then I am running new frame rails (5x3 1/8" tube) which will slip into the C-Channel and then weld it. Once both rails are in place, I will use another stick of 5x3 to which will be under the gate latch plate and will tie both rails together (In essence, making a rectangle box) no bumper mounting points will be added and it will be recessed just enough to allow a new roll pan to cover it up and appear Factory.

Then it will be just a matter of finishing the rear quarter panels, and the rear flooring. Also need to finish making the front frame gussets and whatever else I may need to tidy up.

Always going above and beyond, Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

Mounted the Dual 12" 90w 1720cfm Fans on the Radiator. Also wired them together.

DSCF3084.jpg

Perfect fit!

Which fans did you use for this? I was searching Loyale 2.7's post on this and I can't seem to find the fans he is using anymore. Yours also appear to be different than the ones he used. seeing as this was only 2 yrs ago I'm hoping they are still making them. thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Radiator-Cooling-Mount-Unversal/dp/B014KK7Q84/ref=pd_lpo_263_lp_t_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H54V8MEH4A1QQG5TTW20

They look like the ones on the link, but are yours 2.5" thick?

Edited by YnotDIY

Mate, you go to a fair effort to rid your rig of rust!

When will this actually be completed??

And what size tyre are you running?  I'm now in the market for a new set of offroad tyres.  But I've got to work a few other things out first - ej brakes and rims with a better offset or not.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Bennie

• 4 weeks later...

So here is where we're at right now. Had a few decent days recently (Mostly Rain and cold though) But I did manage to get the new rear frame made up and 3/4 of the way welded up solid.

So the Header is made from 3/16" C-Channel, the 3 welded nuts on the bottom are for the rear of the fuel tank to bolt to (Top 3 were a spacing mistake lol) That piece is fully welded to the original frame rail ends along with the cargo floor, I reinforced the area with angle iron and need to do a little more bulking up on the factory frame areas. The side rails where the bumper would originally bolt to are now made from 3/16" 5x3 tubing, The bumper will now mount to this, I am planning on using 2 lengths of 2x2 or 2x4 3/16 tubing to make the new mounted that are welded to the bumper, so they can slip into the new side rails and be bolt with 7/16" thru bolts (2 per side)

The front most header is made from 3/16 5x2 tubing and tie the two rail ends together, this piece will be hidden with body skin/roll pan so it looks factory. I am also planning on making a few reinforcing areas for the inside corners of the rectangle, then I am planning on making a type of small tube skeleton for the floor (Where the Crash box used to be) which will also tie the front, back and sides together to make it ridge (Probably over kill, but just want to make sure it is strong)

DSCF4065.jpg

3/16" holes for new bolts.

DSCF4067.jpg

DSCF4069.jpg

DSCF4072.jpg

I welded everything with a Fluxcore Lincoln 100HD (Gasless) so far it is doing the job. Once I finish the box and get the rear quarter panels and floor done, I can then focus on the roll pan area (Hoping to have a clean one cut off so I can easily match them up and weld it in place (Like I did with the Rocker/sill panels)

As to why I want this new sub frame to be more solid and stronger than the original is for the fact there will be a hefty bumper mounted, along with a swingout and a 30" Spare tire. This is also a recovery point, so it must be strong, period.

Cheers all and thanks for sticking with the build and updates :)

-Tom

• Like 2