Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

Holy crap Loyale! I can't believe how much rust you're fighting there!!

I thought I'd seen some bad rust in L's but this one is unfortunately the worst :(

You do an amazing job to keep your L going! It certainly makes what I'm dealing with an easy task, mainly body fatigue after a good 440k kms with some hard 4wd'n since I've had her at 293k km :D

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah I thought my 93 had rust too... HAH. Tom and Fox showed me! :lol:

dam you aussies with your dry climate, and your un-rustable cars!

Ease up mr fox - we don't have un-rustable cars! Any rust that is found on a vehicle is good enough to have a road worthy knocked back... lucky for us in victoria you only do this when you get your car initially registered - unless you're unlucky and a member of the constabulary goes over your vehicle for an on the spot inspection...

Keep up the good work loyale! You may be keen to know there's another short clip of ruby scoo available on youtube now ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Good to know, I will have a look at it!

There are Vehicle inspections in Pennsylvania were they will not allow a vehicle to pass unless everything is 100% on it, very little rust, dents, tires, etc. I say they are trying to give people the bobbins with that, Up here in Wisconsin, we don't have Vehicle Inspection, Only Emissions testing for Vehicles 1996 and newer (OBD-II Systems)

Good to know, I will have a look at it!

There are Vehicle inspections in Pennsylvania were they will not allow a vehicle to pass unless everything is 100% on it, very little rust, dents, tires, etc. I say they are trying to give people the bobbins with that, Up here in Wisconsin, we don't have Vehicle Inspection, Only Emissions testing for Vehicles 1996 and newer (OBD-II Systems)

No dents? oh my... Most of the cars on here would fail. haha.

In Maine you're not supposed to have any rust holes, rusted hoses, etc. And of course a lot of really stupid stuff to fail for that doesn't really hurt anything.

Being able to put a sticker on my own car is nice. No dealing with that crap.

You could save yourself a lot of trouble and take a trip out west and buy a rust free wagon. Check out the Medford, Oregon; Sacramento, Ca., San Francisco, CA; and Reno, Nevada craigslist ads. The are usually a couple of decent wagons available around the $500.00 price range.

You could save yourself a lot of trouble and take a trip out west and buy a rust free wagon. Check out the Medford, Oregon; Sacramento, Ca., San Francisco, CA; and Reno, Nevada craigslist ads. The are usually a couple of decent wagons available around the $500.00 price range.

Considering I have stuck 5 years of time and sweat into this car, I ain't just gonna get a rust free body to start over with. That would be defeating the purpose of taking care of my car.

Went to NCS Autobody today and ordered my Factory paint color in 3 areo cans. I will be able to pick it up tomorrow by 3pm.

So I made progress on the rear door, all I need now is the paint and clear to finish it.

This is REAL Bondo, spreads like peanut butter slathered on my ch0de.

Restodoor003.jpg

Restodoor002.jpg

Restodoor011.jpg

Restodoor012.jpg

Restodoor015.jpg

Restodoor017.jpg

Yeeah, boyy.

Restodoor006.jpg

Heck Yea:banana:

Can you try to get that trim piece off? this lets you get to that rust bubble. You would have to get the clips out from behind. 85-and 86 glued on, so if the tabs break you have that option. Then you can paint the whole door in one shot.

The change to rear discs was amazing for me!!

But .... My rear drums were rusted to hell, cylinders leaking, shoes were gone, adjustment was crazy...

I'm sure in working condition they do pretty well. The rear discs are still nice :grin:

Got back from NCS in a timely fashion and finished my door.

Doorpaint001.jpg

Doorpaint002.jpg

Doorpaint003.jpg

Did buy a new spreader.

Doorpaint005.jpg

Just paint:

Doorpaint006.jpg

Paint and Clear:

Doorpaint008.jpg

Doorpaint010.jpg

Doorpaint011.jpg

After a few days, I will try some rubbing compound and then wax the hell outta it.

NAPA Stone Guard, awesome stuff.

Doorpaint028.jpg

Doorpaint027.jpg

Doorpaint016.jpg

Doorpaint017.jpg

Doorpaint023.jpg

Doorpaint024.jpg

Doorpaint019.jpg

Doorpaint013.jpg

Moisted!

Doorpaint029.jpg

Doorpaint033.jpg

Doorpaint035.jpg

I am pretty close to getting done, I need to fix the rear 1/4 panel that has been primer for the past 3 years, and fix the other rear door which will require the same amount of work as this side did.

Forgot to buy more POR-15 while I was as NCS.

There is no such thing as being done with a car, only breaks! When are you going to do the rear wheel wells and rockers?

Rockers for the most part are sealed up and done, besides repainting sections where I POR-ed them. The underside of the car is done and pretty much has been, I just keep adding to it to seal it upon seal it!

I am gonna clean up the wheel well lips, de-rust them, and maybe apply bondo to smooth it out and then paint it.

Really, this car is cleaner then you think. But it also has 5 years of effort into it, and sadly I am redoing some of the crap I did 2 years ago cause I didn't know what I was doing.

Funny how you got stone guard white. Mine is black, and was about 13 bucks.

The spt hardware is nice. Do they make them in gold? I lost my spt battery tie in johnny's loyale, and paid 30 bucks for it.

Oh, you will have to swap an ej oil tube to use the spt, unless you put it in the trashwagon.

I am thinking about using the metal ea82 fill tube on my ej swap

Oh no, is it still in the back of his car? The only colors they offer them in are Aluminized Blue and Silver/Gray, I think Gold would tie in well with the STi wheels.

Stone Guard white was all they had in stock, and maybe its cheeper cause you go to their warehouse? The NAPA undercoating was $8.

As for swapping the EA82 filler tube onto an EJ, it will fix, BUT, the holes in the EA82 tube don't line up perfect (They are spaced farther apart) I have an extra EA82 tube in which I was thinking of swapping them around too.

I don't understand how to blend in tap-off lines into the original paint now that it is dry and set. Tips please...?

Fox, you would probably have some input.

Wet sand it with 1500 grit?

Edited by TheLoyale