Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

a very cheap alternative are Kenda klevers they are a similar design of the Toyo Mud Terrains which I am NOT a fan of but I bought them for my car for 450 bucks mounted and balanced with new lug nuts and I am very happy with them and I wheel my car pretty hard and they do th job . They are aewsome in the snow also.I also almost bought the BFG km2's but I decided to save some money the design of the cam 2 is a lot better but they both work really good for a lifted Subaru

• Like 1

Good call on the Klever MTs. I'm actually thinking of going with these, The design looks decent and the specs look pretty good. How have they held up for road driving? Is the compound hard enough where it'll last ok for freeway use? Also, does it say how many ply they are? I am guessing 3-ply since they are C rated.

30x9.5R15LT  

kr29_zm.jpg

Guess for the price I can't turn these down! If the KM2s were a bit cheaper I would go with them Hands down, I've always liked BFG tires.

Edited by TheLoyale

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after I get my tax return, I am ordering a set of these tires and will get them mounted on the new wheels! Then the Pugs are possibly getting BFGoodrich Radial T/As and are going on the Coupe.

Good call on the Klever MTs. I'm actually thinking of going with these, The design looks decent and the specs look pretty good. How have they held up for road driving? Is the compound hard enough where it'll last ok for freeway use? Also, does it say how many ply they are? I am guessing 3-ply since they are C rated.

30x9.5R15LT  

kr29_zm.jpg

Guess for the price I can't turn these down! If the KM2s were a bit cheaper I would go with them Hands down, I've always liked BFG tires.

I ordered a full set of Kenda Klever MTs tonight 30x9.5x15! I also started with the redrill process. I marked and drilled the holes in one of the front plates, now I need to grind down the rear surface of the plate so the new studs sit flush. I may need to tack these studs in place as the 9/16" is just a little bit and does not hold them tight.

I used my spare Landcruiser wheel to mark the new holes. I used a 3/8" Line punch/Prick Punch to mark the center point.

2015_0228AA.jpg

2015_0228AB.jpg

2015_0228AC.jpg

Hubless!
2015_0228AD.jpg

Now came the fun part, using a Milwaukee 9/16" Black Oxide bit I began making the first hole, I was using 85w-140 for a cutting oil to keep the bit cool and lubricated during drilling.

2015_0228AG.jpg

2015_0228AI.jpg

All holes completed.
2015_0228AL.jpg

As I said in the beginning, I will need to grind down the rear of the plate so the new studs can sit flush. I will also need to tack them in place to prevent them from spinning.

2015_0228AN.jpg

2015_0228AK.jpg

The holes are not far off, camera angle and light are creating an effect. The holes are indeed slightly off, but I don't think it is anything to worry about.
2015_0228AJ.jpg

Next up I will need to drill the other plate and both new Brake drums.

Nicely done! The only thing I can suggest doing and wish I would've done is get an old six wheel like the Toyota one you have and after you grind the back side of the hubs so the studs sit flat, mount the hub onto the wheel and put the studs in with a nut tightened down so that the stud is straight through the hole when you weld the back side. I failed to do this and had to knock them around a little bit which sucked.

• Like 1

Ben, tell you what. Let me get all mine done and we'll see how I feel, Maybe after another 3 I will be more confident to drill someone elses. When do you need them by?

I am going to buy a different drill bit, I don't like the 9/16" as the studs literally turn by hand. I will need to find a metric bit on ebay a 13mm will probably be best.

So yeah! if I can give you a hand I will give it a go.

Geez mate,  LOADS of work going in on this project!  Love it.  Wish mine was still moving this quickly!

Gearbox rebuilds are not all they're cracked up to be :(

You'll want to look into running 4.44s with those tyres - do it!  SO worth the effort!  I'm sure someone can do a cut and shut for you on an EA AWD locking centre diff pinion shaft, works a treat!  I've got 4.111s in Ruby Scoo, I now wish I had 4.44s, even with 27s!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

I'm trying to get an early start since this winter seems to be never ending, and I only have till August to get the car done for the Subaru show. I want to have it all back together so I can actually show it off like it was intended.

I could only wish for swapping the final drive on this car, or at least get a 5spd Lol! I seriously wonder how the 3AT is gonna handle these tires? Its been a great tranny and has worked with the 27s surprisingly well, I just hope its not gonna be too much for it and burn it up. One day I will swap to a manual and possibly smaller pinions.