Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

I may be able to get a D/R 5spd locally (Sometime lol)

Just got the VMS Forged Aluminum Lug nuts today. Made out of A7075-T6 Forged Aluminum and Hard Anodized in Black and weigh about .08oz these are gonna hold the 82lb. wheels (Hopefully)

2015_0305AA.jpg

2015_0305AB.jpg

Also got the tires mounted on the wheels, had to get hammer on weights cause they couldn't balance them enough with sticky weights. They were up to like 9.oz on one. So apparently Chinese rubber isn't manufactured very true. But they look badass!

• Like 1

...Just got the VMS Forged Aluminum Lug nuts today...

May I ask which tool is Needed to turn those Lugs? ... it Doesn't look clear on the Photo.

The "Bling-Bling" rims I used to have on my Subaru "BumbleBeast"

had internal Hexagonal holes, which I disliked somehow...

Can't wait to see your New Rims / Tires \ lugs mounted.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

Got one hub 100% done, Holes are drilled to 9/16" as 13.5 is took small I found out. I also tacked the studs in place with the hub plate bolted down to a wheel to make sure the lugs are squared away. Primed it and painted it with Dupli-color truck bed coating (Awesome stuff!)

Also got new 9.5" Slotted Rotors for the front today, so I was able to assemble everything today!

2015_0311AH.jpg

2015_0311AI.jpg

2015_0311AJ.jpg

2015_0311AL.jpg

2015_0311AM.jpg

30x9.5x15 Kenda Klever MT.

2015_0311AN.jpg

2015_0311AO.jpg

Can't say I am 100% sure on these Aluminum Lug nuts. They seem kinda scary for a 65lbs wheel. Anyone else ever ran Aluminum lug nuts?

2015_0311AP.jpg

How it sits with a 4" lift. Now to get the 6" ADF lift on it!

2015_0311AT.jpg

• Like 1

Your SafariWagon looks Awesome!

...Can't say I am 100% sure on these Aluminum Lug nuts. They seem kinda scary for a 65lbs wheel. Anyone else ever ran Aluminum lug nuts?

2015_0311AP.jpg

About those lug nuts, those are intended / designed to fit inside tunnels on the newer style alloy Rims, so the Lugs "Hide" themselves on said tunnels and only the opening for the Hexagonal wrench is Shown.  

As I Wrote before, I had a set of Rims that used that mere kind of Lug Nuts, those were the five spokes 15" alloys that you can see in this Poll... by the way ...have you voted yet?  ;) 

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/151383-low-budget-15-wheels-what-do-you-think-of-these/

So, those Lug nuts are somehow "More Thin" than the Normal Lug nuts.

Kind Regards.

Did the other side today. I no longer use the Line punch to make the first marks on the stud plate, it was a bit too tricky to make sure they were all centered. So instead I have been using a 13.5mm Bit in a hand drill (Which fits perfectly inside the lug hole on the template Landcruiser wheel I'm using) I then start to drill the areas which need to be marked, it bevels the metal and leaves a perfect centered starting point for the drill press.

As you can see here!

2015_0312AA.jpg

13.5mm Drill bit.

2015_0312AB.jpg

For the actual drilling, I use the 9/16" bit in the drill press.

2015_0312AD.jpg

2015_0312AF.jpg

All holes drilled.

2015_0312AH.jpg

Reused the Factory Studs since I had enough.

2015_0312AK.jpg

2015_0312AI.jpg

All studs welded ad wire wheeled.

2015_0312AM.jpg

And again, painted with Dupli-color truck bed coating.

2015_0312AN.jpg

After putting the new Slotted rotor on I then put the wheel on which center cap and Alloy Lugs!

2015_0312AO.jpg

2015_0312AP.jpg

2015_0312AQ.jpg

Bigger and badder than ever!

2015_0312AR.jpg

• Like 2

Good Job Thomas! Thumbup.jpg

...and Yes, those lug bolts aren't adequate for the application,

nor looks good there, in my own Humble opinion...

But the SafariWagon Looks Awesome with that Wheel / Tire Combo.

2015_0312AQ.jpg

Bigger and badder than ever!

Yes

But now You'll need an EJ engine / Manual Trans Swap...

Kind Regards.

• Like 2

I agree, I will probably change the lugs to black steel ones of some style (Closed ended) maybe I'll used these on the GL or just pass them on to someone with an Impreza.

I'm going to try to avoid an EJ swap, I like the phase-I EJ22s but I still love the EA82. Maybe I can get the Cams reground for more torque, and yes a 5spd is going to be a must very soon. But at least it'll drive for now, Once it gets going, I don't see to many issues, the 3AT is strong in mine still.

• Like 1

... I still love the EA82 ...

I Completely understand and Share that Feeling.  ;) 

I run mine with 25" tires, because I had to daily drive it in my crazy, Extremely Mountainous country, full of hill climbs everywhere, so those tires on Manual trans are in my own humble opinion, the Bigger I could fit there in order to make the wagon still Driveable in High Traffic, with safety...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Very possible. Now lets just hope none of the clutch packs crap out until a Manual is acquired. Although, I have fresh Amsoil ATF in it and the transmission was rather clean when I dropped the oil pan. I've never had an over-heat issue either.

• Like 1

HAHAHA... sorry mate, did I just read you saying "torque" and "EA82" in the same sentence?  They don't go together.

EJ it and thank us later!

Those wheels look great.  As I said in the PM you'll need 4.44s to run them well/easier!

Also, you should totally make up a sticker or badge to fit in the little circle/oval on your snorkel - I reckon a neat subaru badge will fit in there just nicely!  I don't have a spot like that on mine, I've got "Safari Snorkels" moulded into mine - I'm happy with that!

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

... badge to fit in the little circle/oval on your snorkel - I reckon a neat subaru badge will fit in there just nicely! ...

That's an Awesome idea Bennie!

I bet that the Late 1980's Stars' Badge, which is very close to the Historic Subaru Badge, will fit Great there, with nice contrast between the Chrome of the Badge and the Black Background of the Snorkel; see:

This is the Historic Subaru's Badge:

Historic%20Subaru%20Logo.jpg

This is the Late 1980's EA82 Badge:

EA82%20Logo%201.jpg

The 1990+ (Loyale) Badges, got the Stars rearranged to the Newer Pattern,

but are identical.

... Those wheels look great.  As I said in the PM you'll need 4.44s to run them well/easier! ...

A 4.44 Differential Relation? 

What is the Number on the 4WD 3AT Models?

Kind Regards.

Finally painted the 6" front lift from Anderson Design & Fabrication. Coated with Dupli-Colors Truck Bed Coating. Dries rock hard and chip resistant. Much better than Rust-Oliums bed coating which is more like Textured Paint.

2015_0316AA.jpg

2015_0316AB.jpg

2015_0316AC.jpg

As for the Tranny/EJ swap and badging in the Snorkel. 

I have been told many years to swap to EJ because the EA82s are junk. So far, I have proved many wrong with how durable the EA82 can be with typical maintenance, so far with many years and miles running at High RPM because of the 3AT, even with larger tires and probably more load, the motor is probably just as good as when it was knew. I bet if I pulled the heads off, the bores would still have the cross hatching from the Manufacture. Head gaskets are original as well and will remain original until the wonderful day when I do put new cams in it. It may not boost torque a lot, but a added boost pared with a 5spd D/R will surely be just what this car needs. I am compelled to keep the EA82 and not follow the masses with EJ swaps. 

The only swap I would consider, would be swapping in a diesel if they ever make it to America. I would like to experience the new Diesel motor that they are running in other countries.

As for the Transmission, I would enjoy making a transmission like you have Bennie, it sounds like a good combo and possible increase in durability! I'm surprised the 4.44 isn't too much for the 5spd. I know the 4EATs in the 90s Outbacks run 4.44, but then again, they are also Autos. I would think 4.11 with the 5spd would be a good mesh up even with 30s.

We will see, the car is ever changing, thats for sure :)

• Like 2

... The only swap I would consider, would be swapping in a diesel if they ever make it to America ...

There is a Company authorized to sell Diesel Subaru Engines in USA,

for retrofittings and Adaptations:

~► http://boxeer.com/

They're also here, at USMB:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/user/30669-boxeer/

Look at this Thread:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/151035-subaru-diesel-driving-to-south-america-from-nashville-tn-usa/

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
  • Like 1

Thank you JesZek for the links!

Today, I was walking thru a junkyard and what do you think I found? A practically mint condition '86 GL wagon, 4WD D/R with Gray, Black and blueish interior. The Car is white and does not have roof rack. So, I pulled out some of the interior goods, and I also bought the D/R 5spd! The car has 253k on it, but the trans feels nice and snug going thru the gears and the D/R shifts smoothly. I even started it as it had a new battery, it fired right up on bad gas and I let the clutch out, it grabs. As to why the car was junked I dunno. It was a tow-away car from IL and still has currant registration. The car came from Oregon and was maintained by Les Shwab. Someone loved this car, that is for sure. Interior is mint, except for the blue tape on top of the door panels.

Either way, I will have a D/R 5spd now and all the bits to swap it in. I am hoping to pull the Pedal assembly from it since I didn't grab it today. I will also need a good flywheel. I am hoping the trans mount will come with the trans, unless they just cut it. Then I will need one of those as well.

Also, is the driveshaft from a 3AT the same as a 5spd or do I need to get one of those too?

• Like 3

Looked rather mint, but I dunno how it will look once they yank the tranny out of it. I hope they don't trash it, and I hope they don't trash the trans. I will have to see if I can grab the Driveshaft too. Hoping I can snag that pedal box too.

• Like 1