Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25D block swap to EJ257 block

Dirthead

I would use your stock injectors.

I've never drilled the EGR, so I dont know what to tell you on that one.

If you didnt have to deal with emissions inspections, I would remove the EGR system so you wouldnt have to deal with it.

Get a METRIC feeler gauge. Dont get the one with SAE measurements on it.

They are only $5 or so from any Snap On/Matco/Mac/Sears/whatever.

I see what you mean to get the feeler gauge with out the SAE measurements on it. These are a little hard to find locally and all the places that I went to said that I could just use the sae based gauge and that being off three to four hundred thousandths would be that big of a deal. But some of these folks just didn't understand so I am waiting till I get the correct gauge to do it correctly.

• 1 month later...

Ok so a little update. wow took forever to find a metric feeler gauge. Started checking the tolerance on the valves only to find that what I was sent from the shop that I purchased the replacement ej25d from has sent me a with shimless buckets:

"DOHC (1996) - SAE - 155 hp (116 kW) @ 5600 rpm 140 ft·lbf (190 N·m) at 2800 rpm"

So my questions are:

1. Are there other specifications that I can look at to verify that this is the motor that I received?

2. What would it take to convert the above mentioned to a?:

"DOHC (1997–1999) - SAE - 165 hp (123 kW) @ 5600 rpm

162 ft·lbf (220 N·m) at 4000 rpm"

3. I still have a complete 94,95 ej22s w/ egr could I put the ej22 heads on the phase I ej25 block and end up with a little more low end and use as a daily driver this way? If so what head gaskets would I use "11044AA610 gaskets" or something else? As I understand everything else will match up with the exception that I will use ej22 timing parts and intake.