Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 oil Pressure/air pressure question

I just dropped a resealed EA81 I bought into my 82 Brat. Fired right up but I have no oil pressure and valves ticking bad. I rebuilt and dropped in another oil pump (I checked it and it's within the specs in my book for wear. both pumps are still good) and adjusted the valves with no change in pressure or noise. No leaks anywhere, temp stays cool, sounds and feels really good and strong except for the ticking. With the motor running i removed the oil filler cap and I have enough air coming out of it to use it as a blow dryer. Air is also blowing out the valve cover breather tubes like crazy.(forced air induction for my weber :grin:) Am I right in thinking there is no oil pickup tube going from the block into the oilpan and as a result I'm just sucking air? It's full of fresh oil so I know that's not the problem. Thanks, Frank

Edited by fshnidiot

Is there any evidence it's been pumping oil?

Easiest way would be to pull the oil filter. If no oil comes dripping out, it isn't pumping.

If you're run it much with no oil circulation you've probably fubared the bearings... good luck.

There's oil in the filter and some dripping out of the pump. No evidence of any oil antifreeze mixing, no bubbles in the radiator etc. The pressure guage needle comes up about 1/2 way to the 0 mark on the guage for a minute or so after startup and then drops to the stop peg as it warms up. Then I get the blow dryer effect. Frank

With the motor running i removed the oil filler cap and I have enough air coming out of it to use it as a blow dryer. Air is also blowing out the valve cover breather tubes like crazy

Hydraulic lifters?

That much blowby will overwhelm the PCV system,pressurize the crankcase and impair oil flow.Sorta like trying to blow up a tire with lung power.

IME,oil pump specs only confirm bad ones not good ones.

I`ve had ones that meet specs,but,were crap.

Sounds like your gauge has a problem.

I would try a mechanical gauge for confirmation.

Ticking might be a sticky valve.

Regardless of oil pressure,that much blowby indicates a serious engine problem.Consider a compression and/or leakdown test.

Non hydro motor. Oil pickup was there so that wasn't it. I dropped the pan and found some chunks in the bottom. 1 piece looks like JB weld or something that was molded into a hole so I'm gonna guess that it's dead:horse: and start the search for a good cheap short block to drop my manifold and weber on. Again.:( Thanks for the help, Frank

Well, atleast it reads at 0 oil pressure now so I'm guessing the gauge isn't working properly, and it still ticks, but it sounds quieter and wet, instead of dry and loud. Drive it till it blows time since I've already hurt it. Thanks for all the help! Frank

Well, atleast it reads at 0 oil pressure now so I'm guessing the gauge isn't working properly, and it still ticks, but it sounds quieter and wet, instead of dry and loud. Drive it till it blows time since I've already hurt it. Thanks for all the help! Frank

don't kill the goose before dinner.

check the valve covers for fresh oil...oil on each side=good

...oil on one side =bad

...very little or none=very bad--pull it

hopefully you have good wet valve covers.

in that case add a pint of 90w oil and drive the hell out of it

have fun