Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo Offroad Brat Build

bratclay

I have been gathern parts for my brat. So now Im finally gettin to work on my own brat. I hope it will be done soon. Cant wait to finally drive it.

Ill post pics and answer any question and hopefully you fellow subi gang can answer any question I got. This place as been the best.

Heres some pics of what I got done this weekend

The rear frame spacers

5549420288_ce59fc68bb.jpg

The rear brackets I fab and welder to accept the ea82 rear springs.

5549401036_05d11bb658.jpg

5549396638_4c38cebf9f.jpg

Heres the ea82 springs install and rear spacers

5549397496_77ea15b4c5.jpg

5548810921_4ee3d08323.jpg

5549414256_33aa4f1a07.jpg

5549409558_7eaea4549b.jpg

Heres one of the rear diff installed in the new holes on the mustash bar

5549417394_565d6d38d6.jpg

The rear diff welded and painted up

5521844862_4079b85138.jpg

Heres the clutch I had made installed finally, Its kevlar on ea82 six spring disc

5549405148_930b15cb54.jpg

The begin project so heres a before pics we will see as it progresses

5437420682_a17e74940a_z.jpg

5436803157_d9b57f6f1e_z.jpg

All the spare parts and extra stuff is piled in back. LOL

Heres an after pic with stock wheels and new lift

5551061145_c3e51c63f5_z.jpg

A good before and after pic

Edited by bratclay

Thanks Scott,

Heres a pic with the pugs just on the brat to get some ideas,

5551634446_cff2d9d459.jpg

Still not sure if I should just get tires for these pugs or do a 6lug swap and put some 6lug alloys with 27" tires, Not sure

What do you fellow subi gang think?

Thanks Clay

Still not sure if I should just get tires for these pugs or do a 6lug swap and put some 6lug alloys with 27" tires, Not sure

What do you fellow subi gang think?

Thanks Clay

Well my personal opinion is that you get your hubs converted to 6 lug then get a set of steel rims.

Alloy rims may be lighter but will possibly get destroyed offroad, steel rims will hold up to a lot more abuse.

Also 27" tires are perfect, you don't lose tons of power and you still have some good tread options.

Does anyone know if these would be a good upgrade for my motor. I have a ea82 turbo on it and Im goin to install a wrx tmic with elect fans on it. I was thinking if I need to up grade to bigger injectors like these

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2280808816.html

Im goin to be running 10psi and Im goin to be gettin in the futur sometime soon a set of delta cams for my ea81t

Didnt get much done yesterday, Had to work around the house, we had to get ready for today, we are falling an old dying tree.

Thanks Clay

Didnt get anything done on brat today.:mad:

Had to finish up a friends POS ford bronco II, I installed a new clutch/flywheel.

Now my girls loyale is finally blew the headgasket, water is startin to get in oil.

So I found a lego w/140k miles. Im goin to get that and start doin the EJ22 swap in it. Still not sure what to do bout tranny. I'd like to just get an adapter and keep here 3at for now. Later do a 4eat into it. The lego im gettin is a 5sp AWD. I might just keep the tranny, rear diff and suspen for another swap later.

Looks like brat gets put on the back burner again :mad:

I need this moved to 80's gen forum not the off road forum I think. That seams to be the place for build treads.

Well today got parts for my girls loyale. Didnt get the lego like I wanted GRRRRRRRRR

I did get another ea82 ,yuck LOL, motor. It does only have 62k miles so that will be nice. I still hope by WCSS it will have a ej and my brat will be done.

So I got an idea on wheels. I forgot bout these wheels lyin round the property. Bringin the old school muscle to the old school subi :)

5570709028_2c40ab3173.jpg

5570707938_375903dd6e.jpg

5570125119_dcf9a44de7_m.jpg

Sorry the last one is blurry. I think I moved, I take another tomorrow

With these tires maybe

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2291469084.html

:)

NOTE: The front is not lifted yet. I need to get a set of kyb gr2 front springs. Should I order a set of ea82 struts? I have a set of RX springs for the front. I also have set of ea82 knuckles and brakes I wanta use to upgrade the brakes, but one of the calibers are froze. Cant I just bolt the ea82 knuckle and brakes right on. I wanta change the whole subframe for an ea82 one then I can run the axles too, but the one I have Im puttin on my girls car tomorrow.

Edited by bratclay

NOTE: The front is not lifted yet. I need to get a set of kyb gr2 front springs. Should I order a set of ea82 struts? I have a set of RX springs for the front. I also have set of ea82 knuckles and brakes I wanta use to upgrade the brakes, but one of the calibers are froze. Cant I just bolt the ea82 knuckle and brakes right on. I wanta change the whole subframe for an ea82 one then I can run the axles too, but the one I have Im puttin on my girls car tomorrow.

Tie rod end holes are slightly different IIRC.

Best thing to do is the whole EA82 front end swap, Then you can use entire EA82 crossmember, rack, control arms, knuckles, brakes, axles, and hubs. All of which are easier to find than old EA81 stuff.

Also, EA82 pwr str. racklines will bolt directly to EJ PS pump lines for ease of future EJ swap. And in fact, the EA crossmember will even accept an EJ rack with a little modification.

Do the whole front end swap. The wide front end stance is awesome.

Tie rod end holes are slightly different IIRC.

Best thing to do is the whole EA82 front end swap, Then you can use entire EA82 crossmember, rack, control arms, knuckles, brakes, axles, and hubs. All of which are easier to find than old EA81 stuff.

Also, EA82 pwr str. racklines will bolt directly to EJ PS pump lines for ease of future EJ swap. And in fact, the EA crossmember will even accept an EJ rack with a little modification.

Do the whole front end swap. The wide front end stance is awesome.

Yes that is what I wanted to do was just swap the whole front end but I have to find a ea82t subframe. I had an extra one but installed it on my girls today. But it wouldnt have worked anyways cuz I need a turbo sub frame.

So the knuckles wont work huh grrrrr. Cuz I was goin put on the rear disc and the ea82 fronts cuz they are alot bigger then my stock ones.

Well I got the motor and subframe in my girls car. Also installed the lift blocks that I made.

5576364618_275db7d3a0.jpg

5575782305_9f2017a506.jpg

5576372542_e9bf5516f3.jpg

Got the RX front springs installed on my GR2s. Thanks Spenc (OBK25XT)

I also made the subframe blocks and rad arm plate spacer blocks. Now I just need to figure out how Im goin to make the top hat spacer lift. I want it 3" but still need it 15* offset.

5594320884_a6f4b252c7.jpg

Thanks Mike,

Today I got the lift blocks in on the subframe and rad rod plates. I also made the top plates for the strut blocks just need to find some 4" pipe. I got the steering linkage out and goin to cut it tomorrow and make it longer. Then I can install the tranny and work on crossmember bracing.

Thanks Clay

I also removed all the A/C lines and everything from the engine bay area to clear it out alittle bit. I dont ever use A/C anyways. I did leave the compressor for now. Ill remove that later.

or leave it and run some lines to an air tank.:)cheers, b

Lol you know thats funny. Spencer was telling me the same thing. How do I make it into a air compressor. Spenc was saying something about peeps used to do it to old chevy compressors but he wasnt sure if our subi compressor could do that or not. Its still in the car and I do still have the factory line. I could eazaly put a tank behind one of the rear seats.

But how does the compressor work?

Thanks Clay

Well there is a compression chamber (piston cylinder) inside the pump and when the AC clutch in gauges it pumps air pulling from the Low pressure side and pushing it out the High pressure side.

When you hook the line from the High side into a tank with a pressure switch and check valve to turn it off at the rated pressure it will run the AC pump till that pressure then release the clutch and the pump will "shut off".

You then have a line and valve comming off the tank for air horns,power tools ect. on the low side of the compressor you have a short piece of metal line with a filter.

Now this is just my thoughts if i missed anything (maybe maybe not) feel free to chime in. I plan to use the AC pump on my SVX swap :grin:

Cheers R.

Edited by subaruguru

• 3 weeks later...

Well havnt had internet for a little while so havent posted just lookin on my phone. I did get a set of tires that Im goin to run for awhile till I can afford some UTV tires which are 8ply. I havnt got to work on it for a little bit cuz im havin to work on granddads garden and green house that Im building him.

The tranny is in. The shifter is all hooked up except the plastic trim piece inside. Now Im back to the same thing again. It turns over got spark but the fuel pump doesnt come on and no fuel. I check all ground wires that I know of but I wish I had another ecu to just plug in and double check that it isnt the ecu that is causing the problem. I can by pass the fuel pump and make it work but the injectors still wont fire cuz the comp isnt telling it too.

Does anyone around the portland vancouver area have a ea81t ecu I can borrow just to test mine?

Thanks everyone.

Clay

P.S. I am forced to sell my 05 dodge power wagon my dream truck. :( Its on craigslist now with pics and details. Heres the link:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/2342574256.html

• 4 weeks later...

Well again had to put off the brat,:mad:

Been working on a 96 f250 4x4 460. Redoing it. PO rearended another truck.

But I was able to make the top lift blocks for the brat and get them installed. I also got the tires mounted on the new slotted mags that are goin on the turbo brat project.

Heres some pics.

5731144510_5c4da0f91e_z.jpg

5730595093_f7ab8b369f_z.jpg

5730597435_ddf0d841ba_z.jpg

5731151420_8f9b240bb9_z.jpg

5730601055_5ac6235261_z.jpg

5730604803_cd6cd1b69e_z.jpg

5730606299_068072b11e_z.jpg

I just need to get the hubs drilled and weld a cross brace for the the driveline and tranny mounts.

Then I need to figure out why it wont run. No fuel. Still think its a ecu.

If any members got a 84 turbo ea81t ecu that I can borrow just to check if mine is bad before I buy one. Thanks everyone

Heres the wheels and tires im going to be using.

14x6 slotted mags, 6lug conv, 195/75/14 armstrong snowtires destudded,

Same tread pattern as the wongleflute cepek fun country :banana:

5730596255_be30681c60_z.jpg

5730602773_4519fc9913_z.jpg

Before I cut the front of the fenders, Will get new pics with cutted fenders

5730608471_b68e3dd7df_z.jpg

Just mock up. I still got to drill the hubs and weld new studs in.

Im still deciding if Im goin to keep the drum brakes in rear or install my rear disc setup from a gl10?

• 2 weeks later...

I got the hubs and drums drilled but I need to get new studs. I got a napa part number from here for the back drums. They are longer but have a smaller head to fit in the back of the drum.

I just can't find my receipt to get the part number off of when I did my girls loyale 6 lug swap.

Yes I have searched in the search section, but I must not be putting the right words in the search box or something cuz I can't find the tread anywhere.

Can someone help me out if they know the part number?

Thanks very much. I gotta buy and install them by next weekend.

Thanks Clay

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good! Do you know the measurements on your strut blocks, I found a 15' chunk of 1 1/2'' square tubing just layng on the ground that looks like perfect lift material. Did you just drill new holes in the mustache bar?

thanks