Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newb in Alaska

Hello everyone, this site is a gold mine of information and I'm glad to be a part of it now. In a bet this weekend I won a 92 Loyale Wagon with a 3AT that doesn't want to shift on it's own. Thanks to this site I have good idea what's causing the problem and I plan on fixing up the old subie today and taking it for a winter rally session :headbang:

Howdy

Basically a transmission shifts by a balance. It is Gov pressure vs throttle pressure(vac modulator or cable). The throttle pressure tells the transmission how hard the car is working. The gov tells the transmission how fast the car is moving.

It sounds like the gov may not be working as that tells the car how fast it is going and that it needs to shift.

Does it shift when manually shifting?

Howdy

Basically a transmission shifts by a balance. It is Gov pressure vs throttle pressure(vac modulator or cable). The throttle pressure tells the transmission how hard the car is working. The gov tells the transmission how fast the car is moving.

It sounds like the gov may not be working as that tells the car how fast it is going and that it needs to shift.

Does it shift when manually shifting?

I pulled the governor yesterday and found the gear was apple cored. AAA Subaru hooked me up with a used governor for a fair price and now the transmission shifts like it should :banana:

No telling how long the new governor with last but from what I understand the reason they get chewed up is due to not fully stopping before shifting from reverse to drive and vice versa.