Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just a EJ22 thought and request.

My 91 EJ22 will turn over 400k by the first of the year. Still runs like a sewing machine. I have always run it hard and pull trailers several times weekly. Never had a 2.5 so maybe I don't know the power I'm missing but it gets the job done and I'm happy with the power it has. Aside from peripherals, belts, pulleys, water pumps, clutches, and plugs, it had one injector fail at 300k and I just replaced the valve cover gaskets... that's it.

PS:  Castrol GTX ;)

• Like 5

Sooo, I have a question on the ej22. I have a 97 Impreza obs ej22. This subie has a phase 2(interference) engine correct? Im looking at a used 90 ej22. This is a phase 1 engine(non interference). If I put the phase1 heads on the phase 2 block is it still an interference engine?

No.  Your 97 is still phase 1, it is the revised version with slightly higher compression.  Changing to the earlier heads will keep it as an interference engine because it was the piston redesign that made it that way.  The phase 2 didn't start until '99.

• Like 1

I know you have the exhaust, what sort of ignition mods do you have?

I've been reading over some of the coil on plug conversions on nasioc and rs25.  Ordered a set of 02 wrx cop's for cheap just to play around with it.

Hey have you tried the coil on plug ignition mod? I read some not so great things about them. Iam interested in the MSD 8239 coil that DOHCEJ22E posted about. I looked into it and MSD said it will not fit. I tried to get some info from MSD about how to make it work, but was like pulling teeth with them. Do you know if he did some kind of mod to make it work?

• Like 1

No I haven't done it yet, I'm still on the fence about it honestly.

The msd coil is one made for a Neon, to make it work you have to get a pig tail from one and splice it together with a pigtail from the subaru to make an adapter harness so it's plug and play.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I can't believe the discussion about the 2.2 vs. the 2.5 has been going on for so long.

In 2004 I bought a 98 Outback Limited from a good friend. It had about 135k on it, mostly highway miles and very well maintained.

Within two years the head gaskets on the 25d blew. At the time there was only one Suby shop in town besides the stealership, and they told me if I replaced the head gaskets it was likely they would blow again at some point. I'm guessing this was before the six star MLS gaskets became available or were widely known. The shop searched for an EJ22 in decent condition and couldn't find one for a long time. Finally I bit the bullet and bought a fully rebuilt EJ22 from Colorado Component Rebuilders.

Seven years later, no blown head gaskets. A few minor oil leaks (I think mainly from when I tried to run synthetic in it, it didn't like that) and that's it. I do spark plugs and filters and oil changes and it's happy.

BUT the power is definitely lacking for this particular car. I have the 4EAT, so that makes it worse. I've been trying to figure out what to do to get this thing to go. Get a rebuilt 25d with the new gaskets? CCR wants about 4k for one which seems insane to me (they do good work, but damn that's more than the car's worth). Go Frankenmotor? Go balls-out and try to swing a WRX swap (plus wiring, plus exhaust, etc. etc.)? Or sell my 4EAT car and get a 2.2 Subaru with a manual? I really like the Outback chassis, it's a great fit for me.

The 95-96 25d mentioned above sounds intriguing.

Anyway, I don't expect anybody to tell me what to do here, this is just my personal venting of 2.2/2.5 related angst. First-world problems :lol:. I love the car, but that power vs. reliability tradeoff has always bugged me.

When I lived in colorado I bought a 2001 Outback from my brothers shop with a blown motor and called CCR and thought their price was a little steep for a SOHC 2.5 long block, I think it was almost $4000. I ended up buying a new long block from Doug at Super Rupair in Boulder for just under $3000 and ran awesome, everything was brand new and good quality parts. I think we put 20k on it with no problem ever. You're the first person to mention CCR that ive seen, I wonder if they'd be willing to do a Franken motor? Haha probably not I know the dude at Rocky Mtn Roos in Golden, CO thought it was a ridiculous idea, if you have that many subaru resources why not experiment?

• 1 year later...

people like the ej22 cause it goes 300k and no headgasket expense in average.

People who go with ej25 DOHC do the headgasket on average 2 x at a high cost of 2g average, every 150k.

4g to run a ej25 DOHC to 300k, thats just HG cost

or no cost to run a ej22 to 300k (no HG cost)

My advice based on fact, is if you have a ej25 DOHC motor, you will have failed HG. 100% bet. If anyone argues that, talk to them when they try to hit the 150k mark.

186 thousand on a 99, no head gasket issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Will the alt, power steering, A/C from the 2.5 bolt up to the 2.2 or do  I need to have all that including brackets,etc. on the existing 2.2 engine?  I can get a 2.2 with everything on it for more, but wanted to check.

Thanks

Will the alt, power steering, A/C from the 2.5 bolt up to the 2.2 or do  I need to have all that including brackets,etc. on the existing 2.2 engine?  I can get a 2.2 with everything on it for more, but wanted to check.

Thanks

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/23034-its-done-swapped-ej22-for-ej25-in-97-outback/

Why are you swapping? If you can do an engine swap, you can do head gaskets... Or you can make a frankenmotor for 180-200 hp, which is decently simple to make

• Haha 1

I'm going to do the gaskets instead of a swap.  The engine has 180k on it. Anything else that should be addressed while it is out.  I the head. block surface and cylinder walls will be checked, timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, valve cover gaskets replaced.  Anything else that should be replaced or checked while it is out?

Thanks

I'm going to do the gaskets instead of a swap.  The engine has 180k on it. Anything else that should be addressed while it is out.  I the head. block surface and cylinder walls will be checked, timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, valve cover gaskets replaced.  Anything else that should be replaced or checked while it is out?

Thanks

Plugs is all I know besides that. You could get a port and polish, but that's more than needed.

Was at the dealership and saw that they had the parts list and part numbers for a head gasket install taped to the desk, lol.

• Like 1

Thanks

Plugs is all I know besides that. You could get a port and polish, but that's more than needed.

Was at the dealership and saw that they had the parts list and part numbers for a head gasket install taped to the desk, lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I personally did the head gasket on my EJ25D. 

I did my research, took my time doing the job, and carefully picked what parts I would use for the head gasket. I do think it can last longer than 150k miles. 

I wouldn't want less power than the 2.5 engine, I think it could already use more power. I wouldn't want to put smaller tires on my outback, I purposely got the outback because its closer to an SUV than a car, but with better gas mileage. It did a great job in the snow we had here last year. I put about 10,000 miles on the engine since changing the head gaskets, and the engine still runs nice, although only time will truly tell. 

Of course I am sure a lot depends on how well the head gasket job was preformed. I made sure to clean everything up, made sure everything was smooth and not warped, and I carefully installed everything. I also use the correct coolant, synthetic oil (although this is mainly so I don't have to change the oil as frequently and I feel a little safer starting the car in the winter time, or driving for extended time in the summer), and I'm going to change them when recommend. 

• 3 weeks later...

My wife has an 09 impreza sport with ej25 doc and my daughter has a 97 impreza sport with ej22(now my mother has it and loves it).

Given gear ratios and a maybe few pounds factored in, i felt the 97 is the same or even quicker in acceleration at its ripe age of 165,000.

I just stumbled on this thread and am a bit concerned, but not discouraged.

By reading this i will now make it a habit to check around the heads on wifeys car when doing routine oil changes to prevent this evident nightmare from entering my happy subaru way of life.

If i avoid an overheat by noticing a leaking gasket i can save my bearings from failing thus saving the engine. good stuff.

knowing this, however, sends me in the direction of finding another 2.2 to rebuild just in case that engine fails as i see no major difference in hp between the 2 engines and yes, the ej22 is a much friendlier engine to work with. I just got one from a 94 legacy to replace my ea81 in the 79 wagon. To me its a no-brainer and if the wiring is in fact plug and play, well..............no more comments for me on this.

this is why i love this forum.

you all rock.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So after reading all this thread, I still dont know what year 2.2 will fit into what year 2.5? any limit? Or all 2.2s will fit into all 2.5s? My kid has a good running 99 impreza  L (rusted out) and saw a  clean 2001 suabaru legacy L  with a blown motor. is this a doable easy swap? plug & play? Thanks ahead of time.

• 9 months later...