Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Swap - Brakes?

The EA engine in my old Loyale seems to be in need of a rebuild and doesnt like turning 27 in tires. im thinkin about doing an EJ swap and have been pricing it out. I was wonderin if i will need rear disc conversion in my loyale to be able to stop with the heavier motor:eek:

The EA engine in my old Loyale seems to be in need of a rebuild and doesnt like turning 27 in tires. im thinkin about doing an EJ swap and have been pricing it out. I was wonderin if i will need rear disc conversion in my loyale to be able to stop with the heavier motor:eek:

The motor isn't much heavier. I don't have exact numbers, but it's something like 50-60 lbs.

I doubt you'll notice much difference in stopping. It would be less of a difference of having someone sitting in the passenger's seat.

Having loaded an EA71, EA81 and EJ22 into my wagon all in the same day - i can say there isnt a big difference in wait. The EJ was about 20kg heavier at the most.

I'd stick with rear drums if this is your daily driver, (but if your running 27" tires im guessing it isnt).

I have 27's on my GL, and I noticed an incredible difference going from drums to discs. And mine has an ea81 swap. It was probably partly due to lots of air being in the system and the drum brakes out of adjustment.... But the rear discs are a nice upgrade.

I figured they'd just wear out quick, but they didn't stop worth a damn. I installed them in the "Alternative Brews" parking lot in Buffalo NY while on a cross country trip so I was a bit limited in my choices. The pad material on the original pads separated from the backing plate and spat out coming up to the toll booths there. Didn't give me much time to shop around for new pads.