Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber fuel surge

G'day chaps,

Getting fuel surge in my weber 32/36 on tight right handers. The float bowl is off to the left side (passenger side here) of the carb so it makes sense to me that the cornering force is throwing the fuel away from the jets. Its not the end of the world for me as it takes a fairly tight corner to cause the surge - and by that point, trying to put much power down results in wheelspin.

Currently running a smidge over 2psi fuel pressure and 38mm float level with the foam floats. I also have available to me 3 other parts carbs, one of which uses the brass float.

Twisting the carb 90* isnt really possible with the manifold im using so any tricks would be appreciated - im sure you wheelers have something to beat this.

Edited by keltik

G'day chaps,

Getting fuel surge in my weber 32/36 on tight right handers. The float bowl is off to the left side (passenger side here) of the carb so it makes sense to me that the cornering force is throwing the fuel away from the jets.

Does it have a raise diamond around the top of the carb at the choke? Based on the description of the fuel bowl, your not running a Weber, but a Holley/Autolite 5200. I'd start by changing the fuel filter, checking pressure regulator(if you have one) and fuel pressure, then I'd start increasing fuel pressure. The stock Ford/Holley 5200 I'm running has an operating range of 3-9psi. They also aren't made to the same tolerance as Webers and can have "personality":grin:.....

My Holley 5200 was jetted for a ford '74 2.0L/2.3L, and when I put it on my EA82 1.8L, it didn't want idle jets. Checked for vacuum leaks and found none, so I'm not running any idle jets(just the jet holder) on my primary idle circuit. Runs great now, awesome MPG's!

Its not the end of the world for me as it takes a fairly tight corner to cause the surge - and by that point, trying to put much power down results in wheelspin.

What kind of surge are we talking about? It sounds like its leaning out going off your description of what the fuel is doing , but is it richening up? It sounds like you don't have a loss of power either if you can break your tires loose going through a tight turn, so what exactly is the problem/whats it doing when it "surges"?

Sorry peoples, by fuel surge - i mean fuel starvation during cornering. I get a very sudden loss of power, in fact its a total loss of power for a second or 2 until i straighten out - then off at full power again.

The carb is definately a Weber DGAV32/36. I know this because i have rebuilt it twice and it has DGAV3236 stamped on its ID plate...:lol:

The float bowl is on the passenger/left side of the carb and the jets are in the drivers side of the float bowl - so under right hand corners, all of the fuel would be thrown over to the left and away from the jets right?

Fuel pressure is being held constant at 2.2psi by a regulator. I can set it anywhere from 1-4psi. There is a gauge fitted for keeping an eye on this.