Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no fuel problem on 2001 Legacy after running dry on gas **problem resolved**

I did a bone head move the other day. I was driving and the gas was really low. I forgot to get more gas before it ran out and I ran it dry.

I put more fuel in and tried to start it but I can't seem to get it to start.

AAA came and the car turned over with starter fluid but did not stay on. Pulled the fuel input lines and there fuel pressure is very low.

AAA towed me home. I called Andrew (hondasucks) and he suggested that I cycle the ignition a few times to put fuel into the engine. Still no start. I got a new fuel pump, strainer and filter and replaced the parts. I took an air hose and blew the lines clear. It is still not getting fuel.

I connect the green test plugs and the fuel pump cycles on and off. I pulled the gas input line to the filter and saw the gas flow. reconnected the input line and then disconnect the line from the fuel filter to the fuel rail. Gas is flowing there. disconnected the output line from the fuel rail and gas is not coming out. The pressure from the fuel pump seems to be kinda low. What am I missing?

Thanks

BW.

Edited by s'ko

i've ran mine out of fuel multiple times and it's never caused problems. dump in a gallon (or less) of gas and it firse right up.

4 or 6 cylinder, auto or manual?

check engine light?

not sure what is causing it but running out may not be your issue? maybe it was coincidence that it quit running while it was really low on gas?

no CEL.

4 cylinder automatic.

Car ran great before this happened. I had the fuel injectors cleaned out about 2 months ago. What keeps the fuel rail from getting gas?

Fuel pressure regulator?

Probably call AAA and get it towed to a shop for them to work on. I really really need the car working on Tuesday.

BW

nothing out of the output line? interesting.

here's a picture of the FPR in a 2000 - should be the same as yours. i'd suspect maybe it's hosed?

pull the vacuum line to it and if there's gas in there then it's ruptured. not sure if the newer ones work that way and can fail that way, but it's a test that works on some. if you see gas then it's hosed. if you don't see gas - then it might still be hosed or not.

if the return line has any rubber hose portion i have heard you can squeeze the line (use some vice grips maybe) and that may get it to start. though i've never tried it.

starting fluid might be the simpler test. a squirt around some vacuum lines should only take a few seconds.

*** EDIT *** Forgot to attach pic

post-6800-136027647503_thumb.jpg

Edited by grossgary

The in tank fuel pump motor is cooled by the gasoline that surrounds it. It is possible that running out of gas over heated the pump motor damaging it.

Another thought is that completely draining the fuel tank pumped some residual crud/dirt from inside the tank. These particles got trapped in the fuel filter to the point of clogging the filter. Maybe a new filter will fix the problem.