Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1993 Loyale: Work In Progress

GirlWithALegacy

What orange peal? If you sand down the body with 120grit, wipe it off with a clean rag, you'll be fine. I didn't do anything to the paint afterwards, except wipe it down with WD-40 to moist it up for sh*ts and gigs.

Try it sometime and you would see.

As with all of my issues its time. The rollon type of paintjob has sounded time consumeing which is why i liked the idea but i didnt like the idea of having to sand the orange peal out of the paint. Unless you can tell me you did it another way.:)

roll on is less time consuming, less prep, and less mess.

If spraying, you deal with wind, masking off the windows, and overspray dust on you unpainted surfaces.

roll on you can do outside, just tape off the trim pieces, and go to town.

prep the car by scuffing it down with a scotch brite pad. not the cheap ones, but the green 3M scotch brand. tis is equivalent to 220 sandpaper.

roll on the rust-o straight from the can, in 2 coats. complete the first coat before going for the 2nd.

get the 6 inch foam rollers and a paint tray. only pour out of the can a little at a time, enough that you can use up befoe the paint gets tacky and sticky. If you pour the whole can into the tray, you will get about 15 minutes befoe he paint gets too gummy to lay smooth

the scotch bright is a great idea because i can do it in the car wash and they think nothing different then me just washing the car.

I would not recommend using the scotch bright pad, as I've seen Desmond's Fiat and he had some orange peal and flews.

I always use sand paper. But give it a try.

Yes, these are ideas Crystal should use to make her car one color.:grin:

Awww you boys are no fun! No checkerboard?? :rolleyes:

Nothing like good practice on a old beater. Hook up a log chain or a come along to a tree or a large secured pole and slowly pull the headlight valence out until its where it needs to be. It doesnt need to be perfect it just needs to be straight for the headlights. As far as paint goes, it looks like the roof is kinda cooked on the wagon, it definately looks lighter then the rest of the car so maybe a whole car could be painted. You can rattle can it, or roll it. Or you could get one of those wagner house painters and buy a gallon of dupli-color paint shop pro paint. Its everything you need in one can no mixing. The problem is that its not going to come out perfect but it will get the job done. Painting is all in the prep, and since your not driveing it every day thats a plus.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SHW-BSP200/

That whole tree/secured pole would be AWESOME! Too bad the only pole I could have used is now on the other side of a 6 foot fence :-\ There is a chance we might already have a professional grade sprayer in the garage... that shack has proven to be a wondrous treasure trove on occasion...

Again, i dont have time to TRY anything. I need to know something that works, but i know you drive your car everyday and if it holds up then thats good for me. PM me on what you did please.

And by all means... DONT PM IT! Honestly! How will I learn it if you keep it a secret from me? :grin:

I would not recommend using the scotch bright pad, as I've seen Desmond's Fiat and he had some orange peal and flews.

I always use sand paper. But give it a try.

NOPE. scotch brites are good. Desmond used a polishing wheel and polish compound to buff the flat black paint, and then painted over it without washing it. That will cause an orange peel

Scotch brite the car, wash it of, or at least clean the surfaces with a window cleaner. I recommend a primer coat, first.

NOPE. scotch brites are good. Desmond used a polishing wheel and polish compound to buff the flat black paint, and then painted over it without washing it. That will cause an orange peel

Scotch brite the car, wash it of, or at least clean the surfaces with a window cleaner. I recommend a primer coat, first.

Ah, thats where his mistake happend.

I know you used a Scotch Bright on the GMC before painting, it turned out pretty good for what it is.

SO - I've done a lot to my car lately. :banana:

I'll probably forget something... I put the hood on, I attached the headlights, replaced the alternator, replaced the negative... battery terminal... thing. :lol: I spliced in new bulbs for the marker light on the passenger side, and scraped the paint off my steelies. :)

I'm hopefully going to be ordering some new tires tomorrow, putting insurance on it, and changing the oil next week. Then next paycheck I'll get some offroad lights to mount somewhere. By then I'll have my mud and snow allseasons on and I'll be ready to go! :D

My power locks stopped working :-\ and I still need to read my CEL code. Also I'd like to put some sort of roof rack on for stability and.. well obviously so I could put something up there if I need to.

I'm so excited for this car to be up and going! :grin:

----------------

Now playing: LADY ANTEBELLUM - I RUN TO YOU

via FoxyTunes

Yada yada yada.... it's a hassle to get pix from my phone to my lappy when I don't have a cord for it. ok its not that bad but I usually forget... and I don't have time right now. :rolleyes: I will though I promise... I love pix too ;)

Rugby - It's not unthinkable... its "Inconceivable!" :lol:

So I straightened that fender out much as I could...

0411111913.jpg

0411111914.jpg

0411111914a.jpg

I got the headlights to attach for the most part. :-p And wired in that one bulb.

0513111652d.jpg

0513111652e.jpg

New and old alts

0513111652b.jpg

new^

0513111652c.jpg

old^ Poetic no? :grin:

Battery stuff

This is the positive one (obviously) its an old fixture but it works fine, the negative was similar but it wouldnt tighten down enough to make good contact with the terminal so I replaced it...

0513111652a.jpg

New negative...

0513111652.jpg

Happy? :lol:

Edited by GirlWithALegacy