Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1993 Loyale: Work In Progress

GirlWithALegacy

Umm. No.

Sound familiar, but rings no bells in my young naive head. :grin:

Google is your friend, young naive man... ;)

Louie Armstrong was only one of the greatest jazz trumpet players ever (and a singer as well)

Ella Fitzgerald (same era as Louie) was the "first lady of song" - jazz singer.

Haha... Louie Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald are more my style :lol:

Little late in the game here, but Holy crappola! Can't believe this is coming from a 20yr old!!! Right on sister! Check out some Winton Marsalis!

:lol: Thx Kara! I bet you were blown away by Tom as well! He's got pretty spiffy musical preferences himself! :grin: Anyhow - Back to my car... :rolleyes:

Nickolai is going to help me cut out the passenger corner that is all crumpled up underneath and replace it with part of one of his parts cars. zzz :eek: He's a lifesaver!

I promise to take lotsa pitchurzz! (Just for you Tom) :lol: Should be up by this weekend. We talked about making the other side a checkerboard too with the rest of his panels from the car I got the hood/fender/door from. :lol:

I guess we'll see!

OH yeah.... drove thru a creek the other day. Our faces got wet... :confused: No Idea how the water got in... but it did. No water on the floor, arms, dash... nothing. Just got a spritz on the face when we hit the water and some washed over the car. :headbang: Oh well... :-p

Edited by GirlWithALegacy

With the water leak/spray:

Check that the seal at the top of the windscreen is still good - remove the decal strip to properly inspect it - you can run without this, I've never had mine in since having it on the road which is good as you can keep the area around the windscreen clean ;)

I've got an L series that did the same to me - but it was a waterfall at an automatic car wash :( Turns out that there's about 20cm of rust just along the top of the windscreen... I knew it had some rust in there but wasn't expecting that. So that job is on the things to do list.

Around the windscreen is where these subi's mainly rust out over here...

Great thread you've got going here - I read it from start to finish the other night ;)

Cheers

Bennie

"Had a job but I lost it"... but I got my car done! :banana: It's 3 different colors now :grin: I'll post pix later. But we got the front corner unibody replaced. :D As well as we replaced the washer fluid resevoir and a/c lines. Now my headlights point straight! :lol: Also figured out (hopefully) why the cruise doesn't work. the tab that the vacuum line attaches to is broken off. so i figure if I glue it then hopefully it will work. still didnt figure out why my horn isnt working though. we just didn't have time. oh and my exhaust keeps getting louder and we discovered its because one of my exhaust studs has been torn out... :mad:

Big thx to Nickolai for helping me out!!! :clap: (actually he did most the work) :popcorn:

Stay Tuned Folks! :)

oh and my exhaust keeps getting louder and we discovered its because one of my exhaust studs has been torn out... :mad:

Get used to that! Mine stripped out all the time until I had all studs held with helicoils... Not fun. EJ solved that problem as well :rolleyes:

Is the cruise factory or aftermarket? We didn't get cruise in our L's over here :( I've fitted an after market unit and its great.

Hope you get another job sorted!

Cheers

Bennie

Get used to that! Mine stripped out all the time until I had all studs held with helicoils... Not fun. EJ solved that problem as well :rolleyes:

Is the cruise factory or aftermarket? We didn't get cruise in our L's over here :( I've fitted an after market unit and its great.

Hope you get another job sorted!

Cheers

Bennie

I used to get cruise in my subaru all the time. most people call it a sticking throttle but im positive and like to call it cruise control.

short of putting in a helicoil - um, no, there is no way to get it to quiet down.

and for the cruise - not sure how well gluing that nipple back on will work - might work for a short time, but kind of doubt that it will hold for long - best bet would be to try to find an unbroken piece at a junkyard and just replace it.

so where are these pics that were mentioned?!?!?!

For the cruise... I take it you are talking about the little round thing with 2 "nipples" on it, one for engine vacuum, the other to the cruise? If one of those nipples broke off, just find a small, threaded one at Home Depot or Lowes, drill the hole a little bit bigger, and then just screw the new nipple down. I think they should have something small enough to work for you. It will make it's own threads and should seal up fairly well. If it doesn't seal, then throw some silicon on it.

Here's a pic of kinda what I am talking about. The pic is of a cruise control vacuum pump off of a 88 gl-10 turbo and one of the nipple broke off of it, and I was able to fix it using the method I mentioned above...

IMG_0615.JPG

The green ziptie is the location of the new nipple I added in. Not the best pic, but you can get the idea.

I can live without cruise... I mean I've been living w/out it for the last 2 years. Its just a luxury really... :grin:

And it saves heaps on fuel and energy used for driving! I'm saving about 1L per hundred km on cruise compared to using the foot...

Cheers

Bennie

I had every intention of posting pertinent progress photos ( :lol: I just made an alliteration) Anyhow... I had the intention of posting those pics.. but it's taken photobucket over half an hour to upload a measly 24 pictures and theres over 40 still to go! SO - somewhere in here is the link to the album if you're desperate... I'm sure you can see them before I'll be awake enough to actually post them in the thread. As for now, I'm going to sleep. Hopefully it will be done uploading by the morning. :rolleyes:

Donor Car :dead:

DSCN2192.jpg

Deliberating

DSCN2163.jpg

zzz

DSCN2166.jpg

My oh my... most people would take my baby to the scrap yard if they saw it like this!!! It's amazing how much potential can be found if you let yourself see it! :grin:

DSCN2181.jpg

Lining up the amputee.

DSCN2190.jpg

Finishing up. We put angle iron as reinforcement at all the joints.

DSCN2199.jpg

Bolts through the crossmember.

DSCN2200.jpg

Behind the fender, beneath radiator.

DSCN2204.jpg

We put bolts through the layers that overlapped.

DSCN2206.jpg

Three different colors! :lol:

DSCN2207.jpg

Good as new!!! :banana:

DSCN2210.jpg

BIG SHOUTOUT TO NICKOLAI!!! Without whom, this project would have never been possible! Thank you SO MUCH for all your help! Dom too! You guys are the best! "Ferris you're my Hero!" :headbang:

Yes and no. I need to put a tack weld on the bolts because they're permanent. But unless I personally learn to weld (which I would like to), I probably wont have the whole thing welded. It's too expensive and really, unnecessary.

PS - Whats a Hilux?

Edited by GirlWithALegacy