Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front LSD vs a VLSD

1-3-2-4

this is for REAR DIFFS - just to clarify so it doesn't get confusing since it's not what the title says.

yes, all EA82/ER27 - "80's era" Subaru's are 3.7 or 3.9. well i have no idea what justy's are but they hardly count.

for the clutch type under $250 is a good deal. i've sold a few for $250 and they sell for more than that, $300-ish on ebay. there's a few a year on ebay, though you won't typically "always" find one for sale, but they pop up with some frequency and aren't that rare to see either.

i saw one 3.9 on ebay like 10 years ago, that's the only one i've ever "seen". you can still buy them new for like $900 (that was 5 years ago). :lol:

Edited by grossgary

If it was a shop that is familair with Subaru transaxles then I would say..... probably. But a very respected Subaru performance shop in WA quoted the kid who Jacob bought the '96 STi tranny from something like $1500 to rebuild it. Which is rediculously low considering what needed to be replaced on the transmission. In fact if it weren't being used expressely for rally-x racing and I were actually going to charge someone for parts and labor I wouldn't have rebuilt it at all - the gears were chewed up something feirce from a bearing cage that "went missing" :rolleyes: into 5th gear.... 5th gear was totaled and completely unusuable and 4th, 3rd, and 2nd had enough wear that they make a "ghost turbo" whine when you are in them.... this would have been enough for me to condemn the transmission to the scrap heap if I were a legitimate business and a man-off-the-street wanted it rebuilt. Either that or it would need a whole new gearset and that would run about $1500 just for the parts. How they could have possibly quoted $1500 for parts and labor is beyond me - unless they didn't see the gear wear and were planning on reusing them.... at which point I would have to say their tech was incompetant because there's no way you could use 5th and with how much metal went through it all the primary bearings were suspect as well. Add in the syncro's, labor, etc.... not happening for the quoted price.

GD

Wow. I had the opportunity to buy this gearbox, but Jacob beat me to it. That was okay since he's a friend and I only wanted it for a spare in the event my transmission went south. Considering all that was wrong with it, I'm glad I procrastinated this one away.:)

well, i just ordered a front OBX lsd so , when i go to it you are more than welcome to come over and help....cheers, b
yes! please post your results and how you like the drive.

what was your impetus for a front LSD b? offroad, rally X, daily driving, fun?

As far as anyone can tell - they are all 3.7. The *mythical* factory 3.9 LSD hasn't shown up that I have seen. You can take the guts out and put them into any other ratio diff including 3.9, 4.111, and 4.444. It's not a hard swap.

GD

There's one across the street from you. STIs are 3.90.

well, i just ordered a front OBX lsd so , when i go to it you are more than welcome to come over and help....cheers, b

Nice. You'll be happy with it, I'm sure.

A thread on NASIOC has a full tear down of the diff.. pretty interesting... the machining is hit or miss.

The machining on mine was acceptable, just not as shiny as the Quaife. GD and I just replaced the washers and bolts like the instructions on NABISCO said, and it seems to work fine.

The vast majority of LSD discussion here and elsewhere is *about* rear LSD's. Those come stock on many models from the mid-'80s on. All WRX's and STi's have them as well as my '91 Sport Sedan (SS) and many others including some turbo Foresters, and Outback XT's, etc. The other recent post by Zap in this section deals entirely with rear LSD's and what people have noticed about how they react depending on type.

GD

Not all WRXs came with an LSD, actually.

Jacob

Nice glad you saw that thread I need to go back over with it..

once things settle down and I do open my tranny I will feel more at ease doing it..

I could of used a a LSD in the front and year this past snow.. I got stuck in the snow it took me about 3 min to get myself unstuck.. the front right and left rear got down to the pavement but too much snow.

I think it had more to do because it was a tad uphill because i got home and I used my car to plow a lot that had 5 inches down..

The STi uses an R180 rear differential (180mm ring gear). I should have specified R160 when I said that. I don't think the R180 will bolt-up to an R160 rear suspension without some modifications. Granted it could be done.... but the price point on those also makes them a non-option for most besides being a non-bolt-in part and taking "innie" rear axles that would have to be custom made for anything but an EJ based vehicle.

And yeah - I was talking about EA/early EJ diffs. Not the newest stuff of which I know only a little.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

It would be hard to get a helical rear chunk to fit into the R160 diff case. It has to do with the design of the helical and the way in which the rear diff requires that the stubs be removed in order to install the chunk.... or that it use "innie" axles. There isn't enough room for the helical components in either scenario. That's why the only types you will find on the R160 are clutch and viscous.

GD