Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gurus needed....car's down!

'86 GL CALIFORNIA CARBED originally.

Car quit, and I immediately suspected the fuel pump cause it starts, runs for a few seconds, then putters out. The pump's been whining sporadically for some time now, so I'm prepared to throw in a FI oem one, but may have another issue here. I pulled the old pump, and it does seemingly run ok when hooked up directly to a battery. DMM only reads 7.5V at the pump, not running. Now I know this may be normal, with the long run, and going through fuses and a relay, but before I drive another 60 miles to install the pump in the snow.....I'd like to know more about the relay. The engine is an EJ, but that shouldn't be relevant, because I could never find the original relay to tie in the EJ's. Heck, I don't even know what to look for.....it's likely completely different, and in a different location than the norm. So any help would be greatly appreciated with the following:

1) Is 7.5V normal at the pump with the engine off?

2) Pump or relay bad with above info?

3) Pics or description of a cali relay

4) Location of said relay

BI-MART and myself would very much like to get my ugly rig outta there. With this info, I can properly run the pump from the ECU, and not end up in a huge fireball one day if I wreck it!

Thanks,

~Eric

I believe the 85-86 had a fuel pump controller that turned it on when the tach wire sensed revolutions. just a note.

it should show 0 volts when off as far as i know. when on, it should show 12-14 when on and running. there won't be a very big volt drop from battery to pump because the pump is the load. I would do a rewire on the one you have. that's just me

Edited by Ricearu

No - the CA feedback carbed models had a real live relay that was controlled by the ECU like an EJ engine. If you disconnect the ECU the fuel pump will not run.

GD

I HATE cali laws and regs. I would love to visit, hate to stay... :grin: