Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Brat, no spark out of cap

So yesterday I sold my Outback. So I'm down to my Brat as a temp daily driver, it ran great, but on occasion the tach would bounce and the distributor had considerable play to it. So I figured to make sure it wouldn't let me down, I would replace the distributor. The old one was a hitachi, the one rockauto sent was a ND. So I installed it, I figured it would work just fine, maybe I'm wrong? Here is my diagnosis, I need some help quick, pretty frustrated, and now I have no other vehicle to drive :)

Brat ran good with old worn out distributor. Installed new distributor (nippon denso rather than the hitachi that was on it). Now it won't run at all. Yellow wire is hooked to negative on the coil, black to the positive. I have full power on the + pole, and a pulse on - pole. So the distributor is working fine. Also checked the air gap inside the distributor and it's good. I have a strong spark out of the coil. But none to the plug wires. I tried a NOS cap and rotor I had laying around, and a brand new one that I just bought ten minutes ago. No dice. Just in case, I also tried 3 different coils, one being brand new in the box, no luck. I also tried installing the old distributor again, and it won't even work with that now. Even if anyone has a free couple minutes to give me a call, I could really use the help 570-617-2473 Thanks!

I searched around, but couldn't find anything further than what I've already diagnosed :mad:

Okay...for a little while I had weak spark at the plugs, now I have no spark from the coil. I tried switching to the old distributor again, nothing changes. Yes, I checked the wire order 100 times and reset the timing from scratch about that many times too. Hell of a time to sell my wagon... And I also switched out condensors. I'm going to the bar now, who wants a brat real cheap? :mad::mad:

That's what I thought at first. But one was a NOS nippon denso, then I went out and bought a new one for it too. For the old hitachi that was on it I tried two different new cap and rotors that I had, and the old ones that were on it. Really frustrated at this point. Seeing as I get all different readings for whatever reason. The one thing that is constant all the time, with both distributors is that I get a pulse for the coil from both, that reading never changes. But sometimes I have spark from the coils, sometimes I don't.

Keltik, thank you for replying and trying to help, I appreciate it. Today I reinstalled the old distributor for the third time, with a new cap and rotor. I know it's worn out, but it runs great now, and I don't know why. I'm not complaining tho. To hell with that new distributor.

Wow great timing, I read your tale of woe with great interest, as I am about to buy a new disty for my 84 brat or sell it, I have this issue where it will not start, then start, then not..........yada yada, new plugs,new wires, new cap, new rotor, coil good, new battery.I have even hot wired it from under the hood, to eliminate the ig switch and wiring. Some times it will start just as I give up and let the key snap back from start to on, or if under the hood disconnect the jumper wire from the starter. I am afraid to drive any place and shut it off! Tach is not jumpy, but was when I bought it, switched out the disty at that time from a hitachy to nippond, started good for quite a few years, then this started, thankfully its not a daily driver, but I do like to drive it, or did, I am about to sell it if this continues. These ignition systems are not that complex, so what do the experts say/do?.....................G