Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I rolled into my garage after work with the odometer sitting on 350,003 miles (95 Legacy L wagon, 5 speed). I then check the mail and see that my DMV registration renewal has arrived. I have the option of renewing for one, two, or three years. Three years is tempting - I can save $5. That would get me through about 425,000 miles. ;) Can't pull the trigger on that. One year at a time has served me well. I keep joking that this car will be my 5 year old's first car.

Almost nothing. I bought it in 2003 with 174,000 miles for $2300. I had to get an exhaust hanger clip right away, which was really cheap - I think the sound it was making had scared people away. I've had 2 or 3 wheel bearings replaced, the clutch at around 275,000, a few O2 sensors, and I did a Seafoam treatment last year when I had a stuck exhaust valve. Other than that it's been normal wear and tear stuff - some brakes, lots of oil changes, three timing belts and related seals, a water pump with the second timing belt, some bulbs . . . that's about it.

Needless to say I've been very, very spoiled by this car.

Way cool. So, I gotta ask -- what have you had to do to it over all those miles?

My wife has a '95 automatic. We did have to have a transmission but in around 230,000 which hurt (about $1100 when all said and done). She now has 260,000 on it. We bought that one back in 2005 for $2500 with 130,000 miles on it.

That's amazing. I have a '96 automatic (which I believe has the same engine as yours) and it's going strong at 215k miles. Looks like I have a standard to live up to now! :)

Pretty religiously every 3000 miles. I use Castrol High-Mileage, and typically Purolator filters, with an occasional Fram when I'm lazy. Usually I run 10 w 30. I typically burn through about a quart between changes - more if I run it hard.

To have reached 350K miles, is a testimony to Subaru motors, and I bet you changed the oil frequently during the years. Keeping fresh oil in the motor is an inexpensive way to reach that extra high millage. Congrats on the 350K milestone!