Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Unofficial "How to Lift your Impreza" Thread

Kostamojen

Just so I make sure I am buying the right part (the diagrams are a bit fuzzy)

For trailing arm bracket, part 4 (LH and RH) https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.sectionDiagram&vehicleID=976&diagram=F732210 ?

For rear swaybar mount/bracket, part 2 (LH and RH): https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.sectionDiagram&vehicleID=976&diagram=7521475 ?

I'm going to get aftermarket struts, springs (maybe KYB?) and camber bolts (Eibach as someone recommended)

Are you able to recommend a reliable struts/spring brand?

Thank you for being so helpful, Bratman18. You're a life saver. 

Edited by dangerzone
  • Like 1

Looks like those are the right parts according to the diagrams. Used is just fine too, if you are able to find some. KYB is a good brand for sure, not sure on springs. Oem is fine. I have a set of 05 forester xt springs if you're interested. They're actually full strut assemblies but the struts are tired.

Hmmmm I may be interested in the Springs if they're new. If not, know of a good site to buy springs from? carid.com does not seem to have any. 

Also, in terms of KYB Struts...a lot of websites seem to sell the struts as Front Left, Rear Left, Front Right and Rear Right. Rears are a few more dollars each. I can buy a full set off of kyboutlet.com, but on carid.com they just have a Forester KYB Strut and don't mention anything about front/back left/right. Do struts not matter in terms of side or front/back, or is carid.com not correct? 

Because they're selling a Forester KYB Strut for $67 versus everywhere else is like $78. 

I just don't want to buy 4 from carid.com and find it they're all for front right or something.

x2. Used springs are fine. Swaybar brackets are very optional. The rear swaybar can be reattached easily after the lift is done in stock form.

KYB are great. Monroe is a good brand and pretty cheap now on RockAuto.

Front and rear struts are different. Left and right are only different due to the orientation of the brake line clip. You can mix and match right and left if you're willing to be creative with some zip ties or similar.

Greetings once again. I found the website that makes the King springs. 

http://get-primitive.com/10-springs

If I'm using 2006 Forester Camber Bolts and Struts, 1999 Outback Swaybar and Trailing Arm brackets, do I get Impreza Springs or Forester Springs? Which one would fit the struts properly and not cause issues?

My other concern is if I am doing the King Spring lift plus the Forester Strut Lift and then add in tires that will be 1 or 2 inches bigger, will I need crossmembers, spaces, extenders, etc?

I feel like bigger tires wont affect it since it still connects at the center to the axle-strut assembly so it doesn't make the axle farther from the chassis/body, but suspension and struts would. I just don't want to kill my CV joints haha...

I know that if I do Forester Strut and King Impreza 2006 spring, I'll get between 3" and 4" of lift.

Forester Strut plus 2006 Forester King Spring will get me 3" to 3.5" of lift. 

I just don't want to buy the wrong set of springs or end up lifting it so much that I'd need to buy crossmembers, braces, spacers, etc. 

Any idea which is the right springs to get?

Edited by dangerzone

I wouldn't put impreza springs on outback or forester struts. They're shorter and will put the struts into a different range of motion than they're meant for. So yeah, if use forester struts, with king springs, it'll be at least 3.5" of lift, which is pushing for the cv angles. So you could either get regular springs, or start dropping the crossmembers.

Okay, so if I went to my local Subaru dealership and got these as rear springs for example, http://parts.glanzmann.com/a/Subaru_2006_Forester25L-TURBO-AT25XT/_54106_6029020/REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER-03MY-05MY/S11-211-01.html

I'd have no issue with CV angles if I were to go with only KYB Forester Struts and OEM Forester Turbo XT springs, correct? And bigger tires would not affect this either, right?

I know you mentioned Forester Turbo XT springs are stiffer, so I want to go more stiff. 

When you say "dropping" the crossmembers, what is the process in doing that? I know some car stuff, but crossmembers is something I've never dealt with. Would you be able to explain possibly?

Edited by dangerzone

Yeah those springs would be fine. Front and rear are different though.

Right, you'd have little issue with cv angle if you just used forester struts with oem forester springs. And the tires have no influence on cv angle.

Dropping the crossmembers means dropping g the front engine cradle and the rear diff cradle down using lift blocks. There are a few other things to do as well. And there are people that make lift kits for doing this as well.

Oh nice. I take it I'd buy a 03-08 Forester Mammoth Lift Kit which I'm assuming has the spacers? 

So, I just found this Forester component box suspension lift kit thing on autopartswarehouse.com 

Is this the same thing as the Mammoth Lift Kit essentially? Are these component boxes the spacers?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Univ/Rough_Country/Suspension_Lift_Component_Box/WAGX548098.html

And I know this is a loaded question-full of a post and I apologize, but just to summarize so I understand here...

If I go with KYB Forester Struts, OEM Forester XT (stiffer) suspension for front and rear from my local subaru dealer or parts.com... (for lifting my 2006 Impreza N/A) (I plan to keep my swaybars)

The parts I'll need for the rear are:

-1999 Outback Swaybar Brackets (OEM) (purchased)

-1999 Outback Trailing Arm Brackets (OEM) (purchased)

-2006 Forester Camber Bolts by Eibach (purchased)

The parts for front are:

-Kartboy STI rear Endlinks for front swaybar http://www.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16156&cat=256&page=3 (2004-2007)

Struts (all four) - http://www.kyboutlet.com/kyb-excel-g-standard-kit-2006-subaru-forester.html (Is there a cheaper website for this?)

Suspension - (buying 2006 Forester XT Auto Trans Turbo Springs)

Rear: http://parts.glanzmann.com/a/Subaru_2006_Forester25L-TURBO-AT25XT/_54106_6029022/REAR-SHOCK-ABSORBER-06MY-/S11-211-02.html (Part number: 20380, see diagram)

Front: http://parts.glanzmann.com/a/Subaru_2006_Forester25L-TURBO-AT25XT/_54106_6025259/FRONT-SHOCK-ABSORBER/S11-210-01.html (Part number: 20330, see diagram)

So these are all the correct parts I'll need, based on what you've been telling me? 

Am I missing anything I need?

Edited by dangerzone
  • Like 1

You wouldn't have to buy the mammoth kit, but that's an option. I have no clue what that stuff on autoparts warehouse is. It's nothing that'll fit a forester though. No place like that is going to sell parts for subaru lifts.

Looks like everything you want in those links. I'm not sure on the endlinks. I always remove my rear sway bar and just leave the front as is. Never had any issues. And I'm not sure where you might find them cheaper. There are so many sites out there.

• Like 1

Ah, I just figured I'd leave the swaybar on the rear for simplicity. It's a shame endlinks are so much money...the OP says to use them, so I shall.

I think for now I'll get the basic lift, get bigger tires, then remount my bullbar. It'll be like a two month process....and the dreaded waiting for car parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, has anyone tried a set-up with coilovers and taller tires instead of struts? Coilovers have a smaller diameter spring and no spring perch. For example I have a 97 Imp OBS. If I installed coilovers, could I run taller tires than 205/60/15, which is what I have now. Im thinking 205/70/15 for winter tires and 215/55/17 for the summer. IDK just a different thought on the ability to run taller tires.

Just curious, has anyone tried a set-up with coilovers and taller tires instead of struts? Coilovers have a smaller diameter spring and no spring perch. For example I have a 97 Imp OBS. If I installed coilovers, could I run taller tires than 205/60/15, which is what I have now. Im thinking 205/70/15 for winter tires and 215/55/17 for the summer. IDK just a different thought on the ability to run taller tires.

Of course, but most coil overs have stiff springs and don't allow suspension travel. So yeah you can do it, but it wouldn't perform well.

Off road.

Im cool with that. I dont really do off roading in my OBS. Just some dirt roads into my property where a bit more clearance is nice. As for on road, I do a lot of freeway miles to gigs and such. I love my 22mm sway bars so stiffer springs will just add to my joy of driving. Just hope my new tires fit in the wells! Thanks for the info!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so i just can't find these answers.  I have a 2013 WRX on BC Br coilovers, as low as they can go. Im sick of "slammed car" life.  

Please forgive all my questions, but no one seems to be able to give a straight answer.

So first question:

Does anyone know if the BC coils will go higher than stock? (not super important if no answer)

Ride comfortability aside, is it safe to jack up lowering coilovers?

I was able to come across base Impreza GR struts and springs. Does anyone know if that is higher than stock WRX?

If I wanted to lift my WRX with said Impreza struts, could i fit the equivalent year Forester springs, on those struts? And would it lift it higher?

Last question, could I put King forester lift springs on the impreza struts?

I really would like to not have to buy forester springs AND forester struts. But if needed i guess i can.  Im not trying to be the next Buckey Lasek. I just want to be a tad higher than stock, with a reasonably taller tire, on the stock 17" wheels. to be able to hit some very mild dirt roads. I guess lastly is there any particular year of struts/springs for a forester i should look for to fit my WRX?

Edited by JacobVersus

Coilovers that I've used, do go higher than stock. But with no suspension travel it defeats the purpose. Regular impreza struts won't be much different than stock wrx. You shouldn't put forester springs or forester king springs on stock impreza or wrx struts. The struts will top out often and cause the struts to wear out quickly. You may be able to just bolt in forester strut assemblies from the same year. You can also look into a lift kit. Anderson Design and Fabrication makes good ones that can fit your car.

Last question. Im thinking of just doing stock height. I know thats not lifting it, but it'll be lifted for me.  It's so hard to find these specific one off questions. On stock suspension and stock wheels on a 13 wrx, how tall of a profile on a tire could i run?

• 1 month later...

First post guys.. I have a 2003 Suby Impreza.. I bought it as a total and rebuilt it, then color match (dark red) bedlined the entire thing. It has a turbo xs exhaust and im fixin to put intake on it as well. Also a full size spare is going on the roof basket! I just had a set of AM wheels powder coated matte gold and I have a set of 215/65r16 Gen Grab AT2's going on it as soon as its lifted.. I pulled the struts off of and 04 Forester (I was told they'd bolt right up?) and I assume that'll lift it the 2'' i'll need to clear the tires. My question is, what else do i need? Sway bar end links? (I want to keep the sway bars) if so, anybody know where to get em? Do i get them for the forester or the impreza? Id assume forester.. Thats all! Thanks for all the useful info on this forum! I'll post pics of it once i get it in the air!