Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Unofficial "How to Lift your Impreza" Thread

Kostamojen

How do you attach pictures so they're not the tiny thumbnail? Is it because I'm doing this on my phone. I'm getting whooped and I'm usually pretty text savvy. Attached is a better view of my stance

To get pictures to post so they're not a thumbnail I've had to put my pictures in a photobucket account and post them from there. All my pictures were coming up thumbnail before this, I have not figured out an easier way yet.

They rubbed a lot on the plastic under fenders, especially on full lock and bumps. It needed some cutting + zip ties and still wasn't "rubfree", but it was drivable.

I have this one pic from when i put them on:

Now the car is lifted with 2" spacers (stock Impreza struts) and there is no rubbing at all.

Hi I'm looking at doing something similar with my 99 Impreza Outback; could you post a picture of your car after the 2" spacer lift?  Do you think you could run chains with those tires - maybe with some plastic trimming?

Hi people, 

So, i recently bought a 1997 impreza wagon, 2L non turbo but low range gearbox fitted. I lifted it by fitting forester EJ20 non turbo struts front and rear. In the rear i redrilled the 3 holes instead of the 1 that was recomended to approach standard location in the strut tower as to not disturb suspension geometry too much. 

Problem is the rear, its very saggy and for some reason or the other, the spring compresses 5.10 inches when i lower the car off a jack from full droop down to ride height . The result is a very limited suspension travel. I dont want to use any kind of spacer for the struts as this wont solve the problem of the shock / strut botoming out. I also plan on steel bumpers and spare wheel carrier in the back so this would amplify my problem.

I want to solve my problem by using the forester +2" springs from King in 'Straya but use the standard struts. Reason being the springs are stiffer and higher so this should have to translate in not compressing that much and thus raising the rear of the car and gaining suspension travel. I have been in contact with King and they asured me there springs will fit standard struts as long as they are not equiped with the SLS found on some forester struts.

Has anyone here went this way or has anyone got some tips for me ?

12745412_514289892075968_6937699430665587400_n_zpsvqsfd2gn.jpg

A pic of my wagon. Fitted with a bashplate and 27" BFG mud knockoffs on forester wheels ! I've got a set of 26" maxxis tires for a 14" rim, anyone knows if a 14" rim will fit in front (caliper clearance) ? 

A pic of my wagon. Fitted with a bashplate and 27" BFG mud knockoffs on forester wheels ! I've got a set of 26" maxxis tires for a 14" rim, anyone knows if a 14" rim will fit in front (caliper clearance) ? 

When we bought my brother's 98 Impreza it had 14 inch wheels. They should fit with no problem.

I'm looking to attempt this lift idea. I have a 2005 Impreza RS PRO that currently sits on a lowered strut/suspension system with 17" wheels and lowpros that rides great, but can't handle the weight of a full car/trunk without getting too friendly with the pavement. I'd like to go the other way, and get plenty of clearance plus larger tires to be able to get off road. (I live in sand/snow). 

I have a friend that is swapping out his Forester for full coilovers and has offered me his strut/springs ('04 XT) and I'd like to make the swap. The best I can tell, the '04 Forester to '05 Impreza strut install should be bolt-in simple. I understand that the trailing arm brackets need to be found from an '97-'99 Outback in order to correct the angle created by the lift to make the CV angle correct, but I'm not sure about what is required beyond that. 

There is talk about sway bar adjustments, camber bolts and then a lot of spacers and bolts for adjusting for larger lifts. 

If I'm looking to do the straight swap on the Forester struts - is all of that likely to be required? The way I can tell, it's about a 1.5"-2" difference between the two. Does that require all the additional spacers? Or is that in the case of a larger lift?

Looking at Jonty's post - looks like he straight-swapped the struts and didn't even use the camber bolts. Does that theory hold water? Any experience?

Thanks for the tips. I'm excited to give it a go. 

Struts, springs and trailing arm brackets and drive. It's not really more complicated than that.

Rear swaybar will still fit. Front can remain detached if you are not an aggressive driver.

Front has stock camber bolts - can buy rears if desired.

nothing else is necessary - it's all straight bolt on other than drilling one hole for the rear struts. Wheel spacers are only useful to go even bigger in tire size (over 28 inches)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm curious, if swapping a fair amount of things is required for a proper lift, could you not just swap the whole underside from a forester to impreza? they share the same chassis if im not mistaken...

You could, but a lot of the parts are identical. Most of the posts in this thread discuss swapping the parts that you need to swap and not messing with the ones that you don't need to mess with.

Why do more work for no gain?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just skimmed through here and didn't see it. anyone know the part number to the 97-99 outback trailing arm bracket? Is it 20520AA040 and 20520AA030? Just checking because the local dealer needs to order them and I don't want to order the wrong stuff. Those are the part numbers listed on the Subaru OEM parts website but if i look up a 2.5 wagon its a different set of numbers. Those are 20520AC030 and 20520AC040

Edited by Icyhotpatch

So since I've been doing everything on my car on the cheap. Has anybody successfully swapped the top hats from the Impreza to the forester struts? Also has anybody simply used stock STI rear sway bar links instead of Kartboy ones? The factory ones are WAY cheaper, I suppose I could try and swap the top hates, but I just want to be sure before I do, any input would be greatly appreciated. 

This is my fist post here. I have a 96 2.2L sedan, and it needs a whole new rear crossmember and gas tank due to rust, this summer before I go to college, so I wanted to do a lift. I want to use Forester shocks and springs, and get the most height possible. Since I'm not very experienced I was wondering if anybody could help with putting together a list of all I need for parts? That would be much appreciated. While the rear end is apart, and since the carriage bolts for the rear crossmember are gone, I'm going to have the new one welded in with a 1.5 inch spacer.

• 1 month later...

Well that was a heck of a read and I still have a few questions of my own but first I'll explain where I'm at with my 97 impreza obs... I bought new kyb 04'forester struts with my existing front Springs and replaced my rear Springs with new impreza oem to solve the saggy bottom the 20yr old car displayed. Now, I had new ones on hand but actually ended up using the original tophats because the bearings in the front ones were still good and the back ones seemed solid as well. Got about 1-3/4" lift from just the struts and the new rear Springs did level it out, I even got the sway bars front and back bolted up without any issue. As for the rear trailing arms, basically just shimmed it with 5/8" plate drilled to match the original bracket and that got the rear tire close enuf to center in the wheelwell for now, I'll fabricate better ones during phase two. Removed front mud flaps and squeezed (27")205/75r15's onto stock rims, the only rubbing I get is a little bit on the plastic inner fender if I brake hard or hit a bump while turning. Overall I'm really happy with the ride, no body roll, rides like new but with close to 3" of extra clearance, great for the logging roads I run when fishing or hunting remote locations. However, I want to get some 235/75r15(smallest made) wrangler duratracs under the old girl and there 29.1"... looks like I can put 1/2" spacers in without messing with tophat bolts(more then 1/2" if it won't bugger my cv angles too much) and I don't mind opening up the fenders, making better swaybar and trailing arm brackets or getting camber bolt kits but I have a few questions still... can I even fit that size tire under the 04'forester spring perch or do I need wheel shims to offset the rims and widen the stance? Cv angles seem fine now but will that 1/2" or more spacer lift change that? Any advice is appreciated, even if it's just "be happy with what you got", lol... thank you;)

Tried uploading a pic of the car but it says it's forbidden, sorry...

There it is... looks kinda low in the back but on even ground it's bang on level... probly make the rear tophat spacer 1/4" thicker just to be on the safe side though...For now, that's as far as I can take it, once I know if/how much offset I need to make the 29.1"s work with the 04'forester spring perches I'll start gathering and fabricating everything else I will need to complete phase two... I am eagerly awaiting all your expert/experienced advice, hopefully this thread still gets a little action:)

PS. This is a daily driver

post-47723-0-78179700-1466978409_thumb.jpg

Edited by Canuck

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/117456-stellaaaaaaaanew-pics/?hl=stella

Monstaru put 235/75/15s on one. He used 07 forester struts and can't remember whether it was 1/2 inc or 1 inch spacers.

But it can be done. If you get a spare rim/tire with the 235 you can test fit with plywood spacers before you make or buy the real stuff.

• Like 1

Looks like he opened up the fenders considerably and trimmed the bumpers way back... looked pretty good though and glad to know it can be done with minimal effort from where I'm at now, exhaust and intake will come first now after driving it like this on a few road trips... on a side note, I was quite surprised to get a 5mpg increase on the highway with the 27" tires I threw on... and thank you very much for the link Adventure;)

• 4 weeks later...

Would raising my 2016 Impreza about 2 inches ruin my warranty??

What would be the best way to do it?? Would strut spacers work??

If so, then where can I find a set??

Just want to make it easier on my back for getting in

and out of car.

Probably should have bought the Crosstrek instead, but didn't notice so much

with Impreza test drive.

Would raising my 2016 Impreza about 2 inches ruin my warranty??

What would be the best way to do it?? Would strut spacers work??

If so, then where can I find a set??

Just want to make it easier on my back for getting in

and out of car.

Probably should have bought the Crosstrek instead, but didn't notice so much

with Impreza test drive.

No idea about your warranty, or if spacers are the "best" way, but you can find them here, among other places: http://www.subtle-solutions.com/index.php?cPath=21_23_168&osCsid=0b6496966bc30936e161aa107364f332