Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Unofficial "How to Lift your Impreza" Thread

Kostamojen

I'm trying to lift my 92 legacy this weekend with the help of this thread. 

I'm probably going for the whole 97-99 outback strut and body lift. 

Everything is a direct swap other then the top hats for the struts, and i might need to use some washers on the top of the back struts?

What about camber bolts, do i need them if i have the outback bodylift?

Just trying to clear up a few questions before i get into this.

I also have to deal with a bad atf leak this weekend so i'm hoping i can get it all done and aligned.

• Like 1

I'm trying to lift my 92 legacy this weekend with the help of this thread. 

I'm probably going for the whole 97-99 outback strut and body lift. 

Everything is a direct swap other then the top hats for the struts, and i might need to use some washers on the top of the back struts?

What about camber bolts, do i need them if i have the outback bodylift?

Just trying to clear up a few questions before i get into this.

I also have to deal with a bad atf leak this weekend so i'm hoping i can get it all done and aligned.

You only need different top hats for the rear. Or you could drill holes and isn't all them complete.

The front has camber bolts already and even without the body lift, alignment can be adjusted in spec the way it is.

Please excuse me for asking this after this has probably been answered more than once here. I have ADD, it is what it is.   :P  and just think, I'm a locomotive mechanic lol   :blink:  visual learner, sorry...

I have a 97 Impreza wagon with bad front struts. I figured I might as well do something fun & take it UP a bit, especially since I'm an offroader with a not-yet-built truck & take my Impreza on light trails once in awhile. If I read this thread all correctly, I can go up about 2" with forester struts & WRX springs, or closer to 4" with forester struts AND springs. I got that part. What I'm not sure about is at what point of lift I would need the forester sway bar drop brackets, KartBoy longer rear end links for the front, and Outback trailing arm brackets for geometry correction. Is there an amount of lift I can induce WITHOUT needing to play with the sway bars at all? thanks in advance.

You'll only get 2-2.5" of lift with the forester struts and springs. You should really stick to those springs or similar length on those struts. The additional lift comes from bigger tires. I don't run a rear sway bar on my lifted cars. The front works just fine as is. But yeah, if you wanted to run the rear sway, you could probably use longer links or bigger brackets. And yeah, you can use the outback or forester rear trailing arm bracket to Re center the rear wheel.

1999 Forester S with 288k miles, with the Method Race Rally VT-Spec MR502 wheels and 225/70-R15 General Grabber AT2 tires (as rippinglips mentioned earlier they have the best pricing for the setup via Discount Tire Direct).  Stock height, stock suspension.  Minimal rub on the inner fender wells at full lock.  Planning to lift more with King springs and strut top lifts. 

post-57347-0-70357400-1428340545_thumb.jpg

2" would be great, I just don't want to go a full 4" or more and end up needing to lengthen the steering shaft & all kinds of other craziness that I've read about because I just won't have time for it. I think what I'll end up doing is try for 3" using forester struts & springs with a 1" strut topper lift kit, the other trailing arm brackets, and the drop sway bar mounts & extended end links, and maybe finish it off with a little bit of wheel spacing. I want to try to keep my on-road performance intact within reason, i know how to drive my Impreza a little too well haha   :D   thanks again for the help, i'm looking forward to getting started.

• Like 1

97 Impreza L sedan. 127k miles, struts are all bad. Car bounces down the road.

Car is bone stock, if I use 98-02 Forester struts instead of the ones that "belong" on the car, and otherwise keep stock springs and such, how much lift am I looking at?

I've already used forester struts AND springs before to lift a 97 OBS. That also necessitated changing trailing arm brackets and such. I'd rather avoid all that work on this L if I can. If it gets me a small 1 or maybe 2 inch lift, cool.

Not looking for a big lift. Just a slight raise over stock. Main thing I *don't* want to do is crawl around in a muddy junkyard finding trailing arm brackets because I lifted too high and now my wheels are pulled too far forward.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps I am just tired, but it seems like there is a lot of differing thoughts/facts on amount of lift with certain parts. 

I own a 2006 Impreza N/A Wagon. I'd like....say 1.5" to 2" of lift (2.5" in worst case scenario). I won't be buying new tires at the same time as the lift parts, so I don't want it to look weird, hence a minor lift. (I'm going to be putting a Westin bullbar on it, so I need to regain that 1" loss of ground clearance anyway.

So, I know I need the following:

>>97-99 Outback (I'm going to go with '99) trailing arm brackets

>>97-99 Outback rear swaybar brackets

>>Kartboy STI rear endlinks on the front(these I am assuming work on a N/A Impreza seeing as someone in here earlier mentioned having them on his Impreza L).

I know that thanks to owning a 2006, I do not need tophats, no drilling required. Basically almost plug and play for Forester struts. 

However, are Outback struts plug and play for my 2006 Impreza? If so, what year?

And finally, if I am looking for that 1.5" to 2" lift, what struts should I get? Forester or Outback? (Outback only viable if bolt-on [confirm or deny if possible please]) and what springs to match the recommended struts?

Sorry for the short story I just typed. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps!

Perhaps I am just tired, but it seems like there is a lot of differing thoughts/facts on amount of lift with certain parts. 

I own a 2006 Impreza N/A Wagon. I'd like....say 1.5" to 2" of lift (2.5" in worst case scenario). I won't be buying new tires at the same time as the lift parts, so I don't want it to look weird, hence a minor lift. (I'm going to be putting a Westin bullbar on it, so I need to regain that 1" loss of ground clearance anyway.

So, I know I need the following:

>>97-99 Outback (I'm going to go with '99) trailing arm brackets

>>97-99 Outback rear swaybar brackets

>>Kartboy STI rear endlinks on the front(these I am assuming work on a N/A Impreza seeing as someone in here earlier mentioned having them on his Impreza L).

I know that thanks to owning a 2006, I do not need tophats, no drilling required. Basically almost plug and play for Forester struts. 

However, are Outback struts plug and play for my 2006 Impreza? If so, what year?

And finally, if I am looking for that 1.5" to 2" lift, what struts should I get? Forester or Outback? (Outback only viable if bolt-on [confirm or deny if possible please]) and what springs to match the recommended struts?

Sorry for the short story I just typed. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps!

As you said, Forester struts will be a direct bolt in. And it's 96-99 Outback struts that would be as well. Use the springs that go with the struts for best results. And you don't NEED the trailing arm brackets or the sway bar brackets, but it doesn't hurt to have them. I've never used them. I removed my rear sway bar all together. But if your just going for the look, and don't care about offroad suspension travel, then a sway bar wouldn't hurt.

As you said, Forester struts will be a direct bolt in. And it's 96-99 Outback struts that would be as well. Use the springs that go with the struts for best results. And you don't NEED the trailing arm brackets or the sway bar brackets, but it doesn't hurt to have them. I've never used them. I removed my rear sway bar all together. But if your just going for the look, and don't care about offroad suspension travel, then a sway bar wouldn't hurt.

So, how much of a lift would an outback strut-spring lift get versus a forester strut-spring lift get me? 

I plan to buy the tires later, so I don't want it to look weird in the meantime. 

The OP mentioned the forester struts give a 2" lift and I'm assuming the springs would make it another inch or two, so I'm guessing an outback spring-strut lift would be best for me? That would be like 2" of lift I am assuming?

And thank you so much! I think I will keep my rear swaybar intact since I tend to have a bad habit of taking corners a bit hard at times, and I like that rigidity while doing so haha...

• 4 weeks later...

I've got an '04 Outback Sport that I like to take on the forest service roads around the California "Gold Country" where I live.  Looking to do a modest lift project to make it so I get over the ruts in some of those roads a little better.  This forum seems like just the ticket for me.  Thinking seriously about going with the Forester strut and Outback trailing arm and sway bar brackets along with the after market rear sway bar ends on the front.  The pics of the blue Imrezza look pretty nice except that I'd agree with the other poster that felt the tires look at little close to the fenders, especially in the rear.

I've got two questions for the forum.  First, does anyone have a bead on how big of a tire can go on after this mod without having to modify the fender wells.  I've been thinking about something along the lines of 205/65's to stay with the stock width but get a slightly higher profile. 

My second question is really more general. Just want to know if anyone that has tried this mod has anything to add to what's already on the forum about it.  Particularly interested to hear about any "gotchas" that anyone has run into.

Thanks in advance for any responses and have to say this is a great forum!  Just what I needed.

• Like 1

I've got an '04 Outback Sport that I like to take on the forest service roads around the California "Gold Country" where I live.  Looking to do a modest lift project to make it so I get over the ruts in some of those roads a little better.  This forum seems like just the ticket for me.  Thinking seriously about going with the Forester strut and Outback trailing arm and sway bar brackets along with the after market rear sway bar ends on the front.  The pics of the blue Imrezza look pretty nice except that I'd agree with the other poster that felt the tires look at little close to the fenders, especially in the rear.

I've got two questions for the forum.  First, does anyone have a bead on how big of a tire can go on after this mod without having to modify the fender wells.  I've been thinking about something along the lines of 205/65's to stay with the stock width but get a slightly higher profile. 

My second question is really more general. Just want to know if anyone that has tried this mod has anything to add to what's already on the forum about it.  Particularly interested to hear about any "gotchas" that anyone has run into.

Thanks in advance for any responses and have to say this is a great forum!  Just what I needed.

I had forester struts on my 02 outback sport. Same car as yours. I didn't use the trailing arm brackets on mine and you couldn't tell the difference. You could easily run a 215 60 16, or 215 65 16 without issue. The 226 60 16 is stock size for a 2000-20004 outback, and the 215 60 16 is stock for 03-08 foresters.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bratman18, you've been a huge help, but I have a few more questions.

The 1999 Outback I am supposed to be getting the Trailing arm brackets and rear swaybar mounts...in 1999 was the Outback part of the Legacy line? Because when I go to the shop for parts page on my local subaru dealership, they only have Impreza, Legacy and Forester. A lot of sites are like that.

Do I buy my camber bolts from a Forester (2006) or a Outback (1999)? I know someone in here mentioned buying Eibach camber bolts and I was curious what car I should buy it for?

Those parts seem a bit expensive for what they're worth. Know of a website that is legit and is cheaper than the dealerships? 

Another question....what do I do about my shocks? Obviously struts and springs will come from a 2006 Forester, but what about the shocks? Shock boot? Can I use the same shock boot or will it be too short? What shock boot and shocks do I buy if so? Outback? Forester? 

These are just some extra questions I realized I needed answered. Thank you so much in advance!!

As a bonus, is there a website where I can get all this as one big order including my struts and springs? 

Edited by dangerzone

Yes the outback was part of the Legacy line. Even now, while they're listed separately, they're still the same body design. Camber bolts can be ordered for either. As long as they're for the rear. Front ones won't fit. I always bought them from NAPA. You have all struts on yours, no shocks. So you'd be buying 2 front struts and 2 rear struts, and then use the springs to match the struts. The dust boots can be reused if they're in good shape or buy new ones. As far as where to purchase, there are many places. Amazon has some good deals at times.

Okay thanks! 

On Sunday my buddy and I custom fabricated mounts for my Westin Bullbar that came from my friends' 1999 Dodge Ram. I was taking pictures throughout and plan to make a basic how-to on here and NASIOC as well most likely. 

I'm at work so I can't get on Facebook to get before-after pictures (I'm using Chrome Incognito, but I don't want to risk going on Social Media. I'm also the only user of this PC, but it doesn't hurt to be safe).

In the meantime, know a good thread section to put up a nice little how-to for when I get home this evening? I'm switching between Chrome and my Visual Studio at the moment haha...it's a good thing they're pretty lenient here.

Edited by dangerzone