Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Unofficial "How to Lift your Impreza" Thread

Kostamojen

Hi!

New to this forum although I was looking at this forum and this topic in particular multiple times :)

So I have a '04 WRX wagon. I want to go higher and I'm bit confused: Is getting Forester XT struts all I need or I need to also get lower sway bar rear mounts, longer front sway bar links and do something to trailing arm brackets, or are those optional? I expect to go up just those 2 inches up.

Also: How about CV joints? Shall I expect them to go bad soon after that?

At the moment all I have is taller winter tires (205/55 R17) and it went about 2cm (3/4 in) over my stock 215/45 R17 worn-out summer tires. IU'll definitely go with taller tires for summer too (215 or 225 /50 R17)

What I want to achieve is all-around performer, a fast and nicely handling street car that can go on a gravel/rutted/muddy country road without having to slow down.... much ;)

Current situation on winter tires, no rubbing (car is not level here, right front wheel is on a raised surface of my driveway)

woss09K.jpg?1

Edited by Mibars
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got her lifted today with Forester struts and springs.  Just got to get the 215/65R16 AT2's ordered.  So has nobody had an issue with the rear tires rubbing the bottom strut cup on the rear struts?  Seems awful damn close!                                                                                                                                                     

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/oTCtp_3WmMGpOZPhKf9fVR0pPYqZ-bV6uH1jZp9Iv1LmLnGpL6F5fV9V4HPU0OHJ4G2CkC7eb9kgM6wQ2htZOAB3pesLtqjD8Xqt3-3qIPg8VqTjKnLWLwj8vAWNFlhFSIBxJltivP7v6xOW7Rgdk7Ganpswditsfv70QpDqe1keoxDrs2DWVbcNoA8J_KvZcX5FNf_VejTFqI7wF32MiotT4JUq6cwBL9cPG6TScxJZRvjDopkC4hqcmQ0_TnNKFvbjWT7rdk7Bx8LhUo2Y3uw9lAES1YCW3PiAqfKc5u3zyLDkW5R8XwcbdcWn0UGoJpFA7HSD2o_lmFvNjmcvmNmek989sER-FkcgBPYDvQUUGaxlM2J4nw1q4Oz9yt55kTItSLKzJcUU9ZGvzOM638BdDIvjyF1ul0egGhOSaHmB0Q0rFlohi1xZ1x1oCigNQL6-O0DGwWqUsjIZaaiJ0vpUmnYYoxBQl0EWG-nYi7Z3BtFEo6h8cLRP7-eYFt1jxD8tdGSQvtNcIJsJ_LucaqqCSs2ySllyVG8OwfDqx7qU-QRimQwG5J2GUKjK-5J47RXkBbWa_I_7yg0YI72QbUU4W4oPmL8abgWvhU6W0eTx4_Jk=w851-h638-no

Not sure if the pic will load.

Well, got her lifted today with Forester struts and springs.  Just got to get the 215/65R16 AT2's ordered.  So has nobody had an issue with the rear tires rubbing the bottom strut cup on the rear struts?  Seems awful damn close!                                                                                                                                                     

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/oTCtp_3WmMGpOZPhKf9fVR0pPYqZ-bV6uH1jZp9Iv1LmLnGpL6F5fV9V4HPU0OHJ4G2CkC7eb9kgM6wQ2htZOAB3pesLtqjD8Xqt3-3qIPg8VqTjKnLWLwj8vAWNFlhFSIBxJltivP7v6xOW7Rgdk7Ganpswditsfv70QpDqe1keoxDrs2DWVbcNoA8J_KvZcX5FNf_VejTFqI7wF32MiotT4JUq6cwBL9cPG6TScxJZRvjDopkC4hqcmQ0_TnNKFvbjWT7rdk7Bx8LhUo2Y3uw9lAES1YCW3PiAqfKc5u3zyLDkW5R8XwcbdcWn0UGoJpFA7HSD2o_lmFvNjmcvmNmek989sER-FkcgBPYDvQUUGaxlM2J4nw1q4Oz9yt55kTItSLKzJcUU9ZGvzOM638BdDIvjyF1ul0egGhOSaHmB0Q0rFlohi1xZ1x1oCigNQL6-O0DGwWqUsjIZaaiJ0vpUmnYYoxBQl0EWG-nYi7Z3BtFEo6h8cLRP7-eYFt1jxD8tdGSQvtNcIJsJ_LucaqqCSs2ySllyVG8OwfDqx7qU-QRimQwG5J2GUKjK-5J47RXkBbWa_I_7yg0YI72QbUU4W4oPmL8abgWvhU6W0eTx4_Jk=w851-h638-no

Not sure if the pic will load.

I run 215/70/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires on stock size KYB Excel-G 2003-2008 Forester struts with no rubbing on the struts. I DO have rubbing on the plastic wheel well liners in the front at full lock, though.

I got mine lifted with the help of a fellow board member.  It is a 1996 Impreza Outback 4EAT 2.2L.  All four struts are 1997 Legacy Outback.  On top of those are 3/8" Anderson Design and Fabrication strut top spacers.  I (we) also installed the Outback rear trailing arm mounts, rear sway bar with mounts, rear Whiteline camber bolts, Kartboy STi rear endlinks were mounted up front and we had a heck of a time getting them to fit.  The stock bushings will not work as they show up.  I figure the easy way would be to order new lower bushings to fit the suspension arm, but instead of doing that we just ground down the bushings to make them narrower and then drilled the hole in the suspension arm to a larger size.

These are not the final tires for the car, the wheels will end up on my Baja.  The car will end up with 205/70R15's from an Outback for now.  I may end up going bigger, we will see how it does with the ones I have.

postlift_zpsq4cejhbc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, Im having a clearance issue on the rear.  I have an 03 impreza wrx
lifted with forester struts and springs.  I got my Grabber 215/65R16
AT2's mounted on my stock wrx  rims.  The problem in the rear is the top
of the wheel is hitting the lower spring/strut perch.  Not sure whats
going on.  Could I maybe have the two rear struts switched around?  Not
sure if that would make a difference.  I would post a pic on here, but
not sure how.

post-64920-0-59329600-1481684058_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found the time to ask the questions I've had. If anyone could help I'd much appreciate it.

I keep reading that there is a height difference between using the impreza rear strut caps vs the forester strut caps, when using the 98-02 forester Struts in the rear, when lifting a 97 Impreza. Does anyone know how much difference there is between the two?

Also I've read that guys are using washers as spacers When they re-use the impreza caps. Is that to make up for the height difference? And where are they using them?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, Im having a clearance issue on the rear.  I have an 03 impreza wrx

lifted with forester struts and springs.  I got my Grabber 215/65R16

AT2's mounted on my stock wrx  rims.  The problem in the rear is the top

of the wheel is hitting the lower spring/strut perch.  Not sure whats

going on.  Could I maybe have the two rear struts switched around?  Not

sure if that would make a difference.  I would post a pic on here, but

not sure how.

I'm not surprised they are rubbing, I have 205's on mine and 15's and I BARELY have any room.  I can't even fit a finger in there.  You may need different offset wheels.  Hopefully someone else has another solution, but I just barely scraped by on my clearances.

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering lifting my 2002 Imprezza.  I have been considering the SJR lift but noticed he does not provide contact information.  Most of his reviews are good but without being able to contact him with questions makes me wonder about technical assistance should I run into issues.  Has anyone here used his kits and if so what was your experiece?  Any input is greatly appreciated.

I am considering lifting my 2002 Imprezza.  I have been considering the SJR lift but noticed he does not provide contact information.  Most of his reviews are good but without being able to contact him with questions makes me wonder about technical assistance should I run into issues.  Has anyone here used his kits and if so what was your experiece?  Any input is greatly appreciated.

According to his website (sjrlift.com) His email is: sjrwa@yahoo(dot)com. I have never purchased from Scott, but his reputation is solid around here. Plenty of happy customers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm looking at doing something similar with my 99 Impreza Outback; could you post a picture of your car after the 2" spacer lift?  Do you think you could run chains with those tires - maybe with some plastic trimming?

Hi, sorry for the delayed answer.

Chains are out of the question since the rear tires are very close to the spring perch on rear struts. They even rubbed a bit there when I first installed them but with some "fine adjustments" with a hammer, they were fine. :D

Here are some pics after the 2" spacers:

15123060_10210128043455022_798015034957015042289_10210127964453047_7895502478669

Edited by buktop3

• 1 month later...

I have a question...

Is the Outback steering joint going to work for a 97 Impreza? Or do i need the Forester one or something else?

I've read most of the posts and i see that some ppl are having issues with this, and there is no clear answer that i can find.

Thanks!

I have a question...

Is the Outback steering joint going to work for a 97 Impreza? Or do i need the Forester one or something else?

I've read most of the posts and i see that some ppl are having issues with this, and there is no clear answer that i can find.

Thanks!

Unless you drop your subframes, you don't need a longer steering joint at all.

If you do drop the subframes, the steering joint that you need will depend upon how far you drop.

Edited by jmoss5723

Unless you drop your subframes, you don't need a longer steering joint at all.

If you do drop the subframes, the steering joint that you need will depend upon how far you drop.

I'm about to drop the subframe with Outback spacers.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking to give my 2006 impreza wagon a lift nothing major just an inch or 2. I have a full set of 04 wrx sedan springs and I want to get a set of forester struts and I know im going to need trailing arms but I have some questions about the swaybar stuff. Are the sway bar mounts welded on the the chassis or bolted, will I need new sway bars themselves and whats this anout the cartboy links?

Cheers for any answers.

I'm looking to give my 2006 impreza wagon a lift nothing major just an inch or 2. I have a full set of 04 wrx sedan springs and I want to get a set of forester struts and I know im going to need trailing arms but I have some questions about the swaybar stuff. Are the sway bar mounts welded on the the chassis or bolted, will I need new sway bars themselves and whats this anout the cartboy links?

Cheers for any answers.

Rear swaybars will still connect easy. Fronts can be driven disconnected, or you can just get longer links for the ends.  Kartboy is the source many have used.

The swaybars have tabs that bolt them to the subframe. Easy to remove.

Also - I grew up in Wernersville and later Mohnton PA. We live up near Erie now, but still had to say "Hello neighbor!"

• 3 weeks later...

So has ANYBODY tried swapping the Impreza top hats over to the Forester Struts? I have a '96 Impreza Outback Sport, which I have lifted with '98 Forester Struts, trailing arm brackets, and sway bar mounts, I have a VERY annoying rattle coming from the top hats in the rear, because I used the Impreza ones. What I noticed is that the Forester top hat is a one piece design, where the Impreza has a metal plate, and then strut mount. I used the plate, and the Strut mount together, like it was on the stock Impreza strut. I can't really see what's going on with the struts, because there isn't much room, and I really don't want to take it apart just to find nothing at all. Has anybody ran into this? I have talked to Miles Fox about this in person briefly one of the times I was up at his place, but he also hasn't looked into it too much either, and he has the same issue with one of his lifted Impreza's. I am willing to investigate this so others don't have to deal with this issue, I don't have much time, so I'm hoping somebody already has found a solution. On the plus side I've been driving the car this way for almost a year without any issues, other then the noise. 

Thanks for any input, Harold.

• 3 months later...

I have an 05 Impreza 2.5RS. I swapped 07 Forester struts into it. I love it! Just what I was looking for. I also took the wheels and tires from the Forester, so I got like an extra half inch from the taller tires.

When I swapped my front ones in the passenger side front axel dropped out so I had a mechanic replacenit and finish the strut installation. Now it seems that axel is poppong out? I keep getting this weird thud noise, sometimes not is really bad. Do I need to upgrade my axels to Forester axels to fix this?