Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant overflow question 03 OBW

What is the typical rate for coolant level to drop in the overflow? Before winter hit, it was below the low level, and so I topped it off, now it's almost below the low line again.

Also sometimes when the heater is on, and I exit the vehicle I can smell burning fluid of some kind. The dealer said it was oil that spilled under the engine.

Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

Is this a 2.5 or 3.0? Do a search for "coolant leak" "head gasket" and read this thread http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12780

You might have an external head gasket leak if it's a 2.5, even thought you have a MY03 engine, the leak is worse in colder weather. The leak "seals" itself as the block and head warm up and snug together. Usually on the driver's side head at the rear cylinder near the firewall.

I am guessing that this is an idication of a coolant leak of some sort?

Does coolant burn off normally, or is it supposed to stay the same level in the overflow?

I have the 2.5 03 OBW, this car only has 16,000 miles on it, could the head gaskets really leak this early?