Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jack Stands

1-3-2-4

So I will be buying my tranny jack next week and I need 2 pair of jack stands. I was looking at getting the 6 ton set from HF due to it's lift range

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/jack-stands/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html

It's min height is like the max lift for many jacks My concern is having enough lift to get the tranny from under the car.. Is the 6 ton overkill or can I get by with the 3 ton with it's 16 3/4" lift?

I've always used the 6 tonners on everything. They are overkill, but overkill is good. Larger pad, larger surface area on the bottom etc. If money is tight you could skip the trans jack and buy the 6 tonners and be a little safer while under the vehicle. I've always just used a floor jack when removing transmissions anyway, and with a little modification and maybe a strap you'd be more than set.

the trick will be to jack the car up from one side. this will get you up to get the trans out without the whole car being that high

you will want the 3 ton jack. scissor jacks and the little stupid larin awlmart/autozone jacks just wont cut it.

• 3 months later...
So I will be buying my tranny jack next week and I need 2 pair of jack stands. I was looking at getting the 6 ton set from HF due to it's lift range

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/jack-stands/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html

It's min height is like the max lift for many jacks My concern is having enough lift to get the tranny from under the car.. Is the 6 ton overkill or can I get by with the 3 ton with it's 16 3/4" lift?

When I put a car on jack stands, I always try to knock it off the stands before I get under it. Makes me feel better.

I wouldn't buy stuff from harbor freight. It's all made in China. I'll buy American, it makes me feel better.

• 1 month later...

I have some home-made ones I found at a garage sale for $2. :eek:

they are made from heavy 3" tube that are split into 3 sections at the bottom, peices are bent out to form a tripod, then bars welded in between them for support. upper sections are slightly smaller diameter tube, then there's holes drilled in both for adjustments with a grade 8 bolt stuck thru...

then just lay underneath the car, pull the trans up onto your chest, and bench press it into place... arms get a bit tired after couple hours of trying to line up the pilot bearing and shaft though :)