Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have been having a rough idle and the CEL was on with codes P0302 & p0304. I took it to a mechanic and he found that I had put in the "worst" spark plugs when I traded them out and that the spark was tracking to the nearest ground through the wires. So that made it run a little better, but he kept getting weird readings, more research done and cylinder 4 is showing 75 PSI and the other 3 are showing 150 PSI. The head-gaskets were changed 4/5 years ago and nothing is leaking. The mechanic recommended a new engine to fix the compression problem. What I need is a recommendation on a supplier of good quality low mileage engines and What engine can I put in the '99? I do NOT want another EJ25.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

it depends on what car you have. foresters are different than outbacks or GTs.

do you want a 2.5L engine or a 2.2L engine?

why not just do the head gaskets again and replace the burned exhaust valve in #4 cylinder . be sure to adjust the valves while you have it out.

Edited by johnceggleston

I do NOT want another EJ25.

Then the only other choice is a 2.2L swap. Do a search here for the details. If you get the right 2.2L engine (engine from same transmission type - MT or Auto) with the same EGR setup, it will be a plug and play installation if you swap over your intake manifold. Some of the Cam or Crankshaft pulleys may have different timing targets so keep your old engine until you get the new engine started.

You don't say how many miles on the engine or what car (the '99 Outback had the Phase I 2.5L engine and the other cars for '99 generally had the Phase II). Since you did say the HGs had been replaced I'm going to guess that you have an Outback.

I'm with John it may be cheaper to fix the bad valve or just put on a used head (make sure you adjust the valves).

Edited by Mike104

It is an Outback manual tranny with about 170,000 miles on it (I replaced the speedo head and lost some mileage in the process). The mechanic is not sure if the compression problem is in the valves/heads or the rings. I would love to do it for less than a new engine. I would love to stay with a 2.5 engine, I like the little more power.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by Mtnrider9800

best bet is to price out some EJ22's agaist your other options. sometimes you can find them cheaper than you'll fix or replace the EJ25.

my EJ25 engine swap cost $150 with a 3 or 6 month warranty and only had 100,000 miles on it. i'm at 170k now.

realistically you only need one headgasket replaced, not that expensive really. and have all the valves adjusted while the engine is out, that's probably why the compression/valves are bad.

he can do a leak down test but it would be really odd for the rings to be loosing compression on a subaru engine. every one i've ever seen still has original cylinder wall crosshatching after 200,000+ miles.

figure out your actual price points and options first then decide.

i would not buy the high priced over seas stuff, imports, etc. they probably have original or unknown heagaskets.