Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fastest non-ej'd brat ? Maybe. Mwuhahaha!

So after a long lapse in working on it, work has resumed on my spider'd AWIC'd ea82T.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23539

This may not seem like news nowadays , but I built this engine in mid 04, I believe it to be one of the first US ones.

It was put into storage whilst I had some Alaskan adventures and now that I am back in the lower 48 , it has found a new home in my turbo BRAT. I have no idea what I am making for power, but its plenty adequate to rocket the brat along quite nicely .

Traction is a big issue in front wheel drive and in the wet in 4wd with the lsd , holy sideways batman :)

Anyone else got a quick ea82T? I have THE solution for head gaskets . Copper wire inserted into a groove machined around the cylinder bore that sticks up about 12 to 15 thousandths above the deck, Also known as O-ringing. I have aquired a nice heavy duty metal mill and have a small shop and am now taking requests. I intend to produce custom subaru goodies. Ej adapted flywheels, custom billet lift kits, porting, the works.

Let me know what Ideas you all have and I will see what I can do . I am in it for the fun not to get rich . Bear in mind this may mean a slow production rate at times.

Based in the SF bay area .:banana:

Brat pics soon as I get them uploaded, I have to create an account somewhere.

Edited by K9WAGON

Welcome back!

Glad to see a face come back, even though you left before I ever joined! :grin:

Awesome that we have another fabricator in the house.

For a second I thought you were talking about a turbocharged EA81, not EA82 :-p

I might look you up when I start my project.

No EJ's for me, nor any EA82's ;)

EA81TT is where it's at...

Anyway, welcome back, and even though I'm in Idaho, still happy to see

another fabber on board.

Twitch

Are you talking about somehow using the EJ flywheel when using the EJ engine adapted to an EA trans? If so, I'm up for that. The stock EA clutch behind an EJ won't last long with my driving style and I don't want to shell out the $350 for the EA 'race' clutch. If you can come up with an EJ flywheel that will work with the SJR adapter plate, I'll take one.

Are you talking about somehow using the EJ flywheel when using the EJ engine adapted to an EA trans? If so, I'm up for that. The stock EA clutch behind an EJ won't last long with my driving style and I don't want to shell out the $350 for the EA 'race' clutch. If you can come up with an EJ flywheel that will work with the SJR adapter plate, I'll take one.

XT6 clutches are good for EJ power and I got a SACH's from O'reilly's for $200.

All you need to do is have an EA82 flywheel resurfaced to XT6 specs.

I had my guy spec it to a 91 XT6.

Everything works great and the clutch bites like no other with my EA81 :D

Twitch

The trick I found for the EA82T headgaskets was to buy OEM or Felpro and coat them with copper spray sealant.

Never had a problem with them after that, but I did with keeping the ring lands on pistons :rolleyes:

Heh I am betting that is what happened to my Alaskan RX. Never tore into the motor after the problem but it was a 60,000 mile block that I regasketed with Ishino hgs and the copper spray that was running great .... until it didn't.

Compression dropped in # 3 (imagine that):rolleyes: and I parked it .. its still sitting up in Fairbanks.

To be fair to the engine, I was flogging it at the time running 12psi with no IC @ - 25 deg F and running an experimental fuel mix with acetone in it.

Yes the acetone mix does seem to work , even if only in a small way.

I need more testing to absolutely confirm it though.

Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket forged pistons ? Or ea81T pistons ?

Has anyone tried ceramic coating the crowns yet ?

Does anyone have a set of ea81T pistons to directly compare to the ea82T pistons?

Specifically I was told the ea81T pistons are lighter and may have the top ring land moved down a bit further from the crown..

I have not had access to an sjr kit yet to have a look at the EJ flywheel idea.

But If someone wants to provide me one to measure and test fit I would be glad to take a crack at it . Somwhere I read that a wrx clutch disk will work on the ea82 5 speed.

I have not verified this.

Welcome back!

Glad to see a face come back, even though you left before I ever joined! :grin:

Awesome that we have another fabricator in the house.

For a second I thought you were talking about a turbocharged EA81, not EA82 :-p

Twitch

I gotta say I do miss the low end torque of the previous ea81t.

But I am loving the pull past redline of the spider'd ea82t

I have plans for the old motor eventually. That thing was a tractor!

I'm finding that with my EJ22T swap I really dont need a D/R trans. Plus when on the freeway my rpm's are over 3k at 65mph. I plan on going to a EJ trans soon.

And all pull type EJ clutch discs will work for a EA trans/flywheel. Not really much of a improvement, but if you have the $ for a better disc then it would pay off.

I dont have any info on the EA81T pistons, but I bet Ram Engines would.

Or Wiseco, I know they made a special batch (forged) for a ER27 a few years back.