Ultimate Subaru Message Board

BRAT Meet 2011 - Leavenworth

Its time for our second annual Subaru BRAT Meet!

Date - Sunday, May 29th

Location - Leavenworth, WA

Event - BBQ :banana:

Details -

We will be gathering in Leavenworth on Sunday. Initial meeting spot will be at the Leavenworth Safeway http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1CHMY_enUS310US310&qscrl=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=leavenworth,+wa+safeway&fb=1&gl=us&hq=safeway&hnear=Leavenworth,+WA&cid=0,0,18314805689797897597&ei=oDS2TYKEMJL0tgOj2sCpAQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCQQnwIwAQ Between 10:30am and 11:00am. We will be leaving Leavenworth around 11 and heading up hwy 2 to Lake Wenatchee where we will have a bbq (if that spot is too busy then we will head to Swiftwater Picnic Area on hwy 2). After that the day is yours; hang out as long as you want, head into Leavenworth, head for the 4x4 trails, go rock climbing, its up to you!

BBQ Details -

This will be a potluck style bbq, bring any and all types of food you want! I myself will bring some burgers, dogs, and bratwurst with buns and some condiments.

The grill i have is pretty small, so if anyone has a grill they are willing to bring then please do, if anything mine will work.

Camping Details -

For those who camp there are options. There are campgrounds in and around Leavenworth that would work. Or there is last years location up Reecer Creek Road north of Ellensburg. Assume there to be as much as an hours drive to Leavenworth from Ellensburg.

There may be a group of us heading up to the Funny Rocks in the Naches area either the day before or the day after. Not planning to do any hard wheeling, mostly going to watch people flip on the rocks, but we can wheel as hard as we would like.

Last years meet was a lot of fun, and I hope that this year will be just as good if not better. So who's coming?

p.s. - Details subject to change if necessary.

Edited by Fenix747

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUMP...For Freshness :grin:

Its only 3 weekends away...Better really start finalizing plans.

Also my son and I were thinking about coming up on Saturday, just because I don't feel like getting up at 4:30-5am and driving like 4 hours and then repeating later :-\ You get the point.

Were not much on the paid camp sites and given the fact that its going to be M-day weekend I am sure it is going to be packed. Just a nice place off the side of a road or on a forest road (dang-it that's gonna get the the BRAT dirty) would be fine. Plus it would make a bit of a "weekend" out of it.

So does any one know of anything around Leavenworth like that. I did some snooping around on google and there is some forest roads that head out/in to town but not knowing the area it could be a shot in the dark.

I guess if all else fails a hotel might work out better, but we were hoping to do the camping thing. And then just drive home Sunday night.

Unless there's a hotel a-la USMB member around? :grin: That could be cool too.

I'll bring my little mini BBQ too so we can cook off it, and any body else that wants too as well. I might by one of those cheapy "bigger" ones just for the show, that way we can all "gather round' "

Hope to see you there.

P.S. Hopefully I'll have the 5spd D/R in by then, but if not I guess I'm rolling the 4sp...no biggy.

Im hoping to get out to leavenworth this next weekend for a little climbing, while im there i can get more details about camping and what not. I know i will be camping out there all memorial weekend with some climbing buddies, so you guys can join us wherever we end up camping if you would like. Ill get that figured out asap.

-Andy

I was just thinkin' cuz I'm pretty sure I get an extra day from school that weekend, I've been looking for an excuse to go camping, an old friend got me addicted to BRATs a few years ago, and I've always wanted to go to Leavenworth. :rolleyes: And no worries... No Hondas here. I grew up in a Subaru family! :banana: If I have my Loyale licensed by then I think I really might try to go! :D

OK folks by this time last year we had a pretty active thread going.

Its only 2 weekends away and will be here before you know it.

So lets get a head count of who is coming and possibly what they are bringing for food to the BBQ. And if anybody has a "real" grill they would like to bring.

Also what is the camping/sleeping accommodations for those of us that have to drive a good distance to get there, and might want to get there a day early and spend the night.

I'll start:

Me and my son.

Dogs and dog fixins (or maybe burgers...I'll let him decide) for us both, along with other picnic items. I'll be bringing our small two man BBQ.

of course im in!

Ill be bringing a little of everything (burgers, dogs, brats) and a little grill.

I was up in Leavenworth this last weekend, didnt have much time to explore but it seems icicle creek rd still has the slide just above 8 mile campground. So as far as camping near Leavenworth, 8 mile is an option but you have to pay. I was talking to some climbers from Seattle that were staying the weekend and they were camping near the boulders and even in one of the parking lots. Usually there is a good chance to get booted for camping out there but lately there hasnt been any case, so thats another option. I will most likely be staying out there somewhere, ill get a specific spot figured out soon, but somewhere up icicle creek.

I didnt get out to lake Wenatchee, but i was at the swiftwater pick nick area. It has a ton of space for parking and bbqing, along with pick nick tables and toilets. So at least that is a good back up if lake Wenatchee is too busy.

Getting closer :banana:

Have fun guys, I won't make it this year :(

No funds and I have an interview on thurs, with, hopefully, work the following

week.

Post up as many pix as you can!

Somebody has to break down before the cruise :-p

I won't be there to do it, so somebody has to step up and take one for the

team.

Take a hacksaw to your axle, run your starter cable through a precarious

location (I still have that other cable powering my car :lol: ), do SOMETHING!

It can't be a BRAT meet without at least one breakdown.

Twitch

Still the same deal, depends on whether you want to pay to camp or not.

Pay to stay at 8 mile up icicle creek canyon, or there is a koa in Leavenworth.

Or you can head up icicle and camp somewhere in the woods. There is free camping way up the canyon but you cant get there until the mud slide is cleaned up which may or may not happen before that weekend.

And if you dont mind being a little further from leavenworth there is last years spot.

-Andy

Im hoping to get out to leavenworth this next weekend for a little climbing, while im there i can get more details about camping and what not. I know i will be camping out there all memorial weekend with some climbing buddies, so you guys can join us wherever we end up camping if you would like. Ill get that figured out asap.

-Andy

Still the same deal, depends on whether you want to pay to camp or not.

Pay to stay at 8 mile up icicle creek canyon, or there is a koa in Leavenworth.

Or you can head up icicle and camp somewhere in the woods. There is free camping way up the canyon but you cant get there until the mud slide is cleaned up which may or may not happen before that weekend.

And if you dont mind being a little further from leavenworth there is last years spot.

-Andy

I think the people asking want a definite answer on a area. You havent mentioned where you (and friends) will be camping, but I think the ones camping want to be in a group where they can all caravan together during the weekend.

Heres a couple of sites I found in a quick search.

http://www.lakewenatcheeinfo.com/visitor-guide/camping/

If you call today, you might be able to get a campsite at the Lake. Which would be great for having the BBQ at.

According to the website reservations open today.

http://www.lakewenatcheeinfo.com/state-park-main/

I just checked the reservations page for the Lake and nothing is open yet.

But camping fees for 3 days is $66 and thats just 2 tents.

Edited by Turbone

OK here is what I am thinking I am going to do. I remember where we camped last year, it was cool and all, but I remember it being about 40 minutes out of E-Burg. And If I hadn't been following somebody I would have gotten lost.

I think I am going to head to the Umtanum creek trail. We had a huge camp mid winter hang (Hammock camping) there this January. It is only about 15 minutes out of E-burg and is easy to get to. There is a nice camping spot about an 8 minute walk from the parking lot across the bridge and into an aspen grove.. We left out vehicles there all weekend and there was no problem.

So according to google it is about 176 miles (3 hours) from Spokane to E-Burg and then 57 miles up US 97W (1 hour) from E-burg to Leavenworth.

So I think I am going to camp at Umtanum and then wake up early and head into Leavenworth. Any body is welcome to join me if they wish. Just remember you have to haul you camping gear about 8 minutes to the campsite.

Here is a map to Umtunam creek

Here are some directions from Spokane.

I-90 W

183 mi

Spokane, WA

1. Head east on W Main Ave toward N Lincoln St

0.6 mi

2. Turn right at N Browne St

0.4 mi

3. Turn right to merge onto I-90 W/US-2 W/US-395 S toward Seattle

170 mi

4. Take exit 110 to merge onto I-82 E/US-97 S toward Yakima

3.6 mi

5. Take exit 3 for WA-821 S/Thrall Rd

0.2 mi

6. Turn right at WA-821 S/Thrall Rd

0.4 mi

7. Turn left at WA-821 S/Canyon Rd

8.2 mi

Umtanum Creek Recreation Area

The camping is free there so no worries about that.

My son and I will be in the first grove of aspen trees you come upon. Just park in the parking lot, walk across the bridge, and then follow the trail around under and then up over the rail road tracks. Stay to the right at all times. You will see a tee in the trail...vere right and walk like another 5 minutes, you'll see a grove of aspens off on the left.

Hope this helps.

Is there cell phone reception in that area? Being memorial day weekend I'd imagine the possibility that your spot may be taken. Of course I don't know that area at all so perhaps not. But if it is, and you cant camp there, do you have a 2nd choice, or a way of contact? Just wondering :)