Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thickness spec for 2000 Forester clutch

Autozone will sell you a reman clutch disk for $50. They've worked OK for me in the past, and I'd throw a fresh disk in each time I had the motor or tranny out. Which was more often than I would have cared, but I beat the ************ out of it.

I've used the take out disks from my wheeler in a WRX and a turbo legacy because they were better than the disks that came out of them, and they worked fine.

If it's worn to the point that the cross grooves in the disk that divide the friction surface into pad sections are pretty much flush with the surface, it's time to replace it.

Disc thickness really isn't as big of a deal as it may seem. With that kind of mileage the pressure plate (if original) is probably pretty weak, that's generally where your slipping clutch starts.

Not to mention pilot and release bearings will be dry by now, which means it will only be a matter of time before they fail.

Check Ebay for clutch kits. You can probably find an Exedy/Daikin kit (they make the factory clutch for Subaru) for under $150 shipped.

Yes, pressure plates can wear out. My dad's 95 legacy was slipping if you engaged the clutch under power, took it apart and found the disk was still in OK shape. Everything looked normal in there, so I grabbed a pressure plate off my spare parts pile, cleaned the rust off it, and slapped it on. Clutch works fine now, so the pressure plate had lost it's clamping force.

Chucked that one in scrap metal, didn't want it getting mixed into my spare parts stash.