Ultimate Subaru Message Board

White letter tire paint

elcaminokurt

I bought new tires for my Brat last summer. I really wanted white letter tires, but the tire dealer I went through was unable to locate any. I know it sounds hokey, but have any of you tried the tire paint pens? Or, has anyone heard of other methods of getting the white letter look?

Thanks, Kurt

Boy Kurt, this goes back a long way for me.

I tried that stuff many years ago, like 1974 or thereabouts. The "stuff" came in what was like a crayon, similar in consistency to those touch up putty sticks used for wood in the home/boat. IIRC it never worked or covered very well, and didn't stay on very long. Even at it's best, it looked kinda hokey. If you want a sample, I may even have the rest of that stick laying around in a box of small car stuff I found awhile back that I can send to you.

It just wasn't worth it.

Just my 2 bucks

I lost this reply the other night.

In the 70's we used to do this to the fire truck tires before parades. Worked well for that but they were hardly "daily drivers".

You may have to be specific. They make white tire crayons but I'd guess a tire LETTERRING crayon may be different since you're using it for a specific purpose and want bright white not to simply mark tire problems and mark which corner of the car they came off of.

• 1 month later...
I bought new tires for my Brat last summer. I really wanted white letter tires, but the tire dealer I went through was unable to locate any. I know it sounds hokey, but have any of you tried the tire paint pens? Or, has anyone heard of other methods of getting the white letter look?

Thanks, Kurt

Check ebay if you're interested.

"

Ace's genuine whitewall tire rubber is the only product on the market to offer a 100% genuine, factory quality, whitewall tire finish. Our product is the actual rubber used in whitewall tire production with added elasticity agents for use on modern radial tires. This rubber is sold in spray form, not from a tin or plastic tub like other companies. NO BRUSH STROKES! Our product goes on in solid even coats, and will not crack or peel (like paint based competitors) when properly applied.

Ace's Genuine Whitewall Rubber (and any other aftermarket whitewall product) is only recommended for use on weathered tires. ALL brand new tires are so impregnated with factory mold release and other oils that it is virtually impossible to get any coatings to stick reliably NO MATTER HOW YOU PREP THE SURFACE."

Edited by Quidam

A plain old plumbers paint pen will do a great job. I get mine at NAPA, and they do the trick great. Shake the pen back and forth, get the paint flowing out the tip, and carefully apply. I've been doing so since 01 or so. Did so alot more back when I was into the "street race" scene. I still do so on a few rigs. I always had orange, or red lettered tires, and was constantly being asked where I got them. Nobody ever figured that it was a simple paint pen.

It lasts about 3 months before needing to be touched up (In my perfectionist opinion). It holds up to tire shine, and washing. It may not hold up as well through mud. I don't know, as all the cars I did it to were lowered street vehicles. If you want to take it off, it comes of with Westleys tire bleech.

There's no need to buy anything expensive. The paint pen sticks are about $5, and will do a set of tires numerous times.

• 10 months later...