Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 lower head water drain ports?

OK, I've got the A/C compressor swapped and all the other pieces installed (alt., rad, fan & clutch, AT lines, etc.) and I'm pouring water in, and about 1/2 gallon in, I hear the sound I dread: water hitting the floor.

It appears that these EA82 heads have a drain port (?), maybe a 12mm hole in each head. I blew air up in them, and they definitely go to the cooling system.

So . . . I've sold my spare heads, and I've sent the other set back to AHR as cores for these rebuilt ones. I've got no manuals that cover this, and no other EA82s laying around to look at for an example.

Just what goes in these holes? Bolts with seal washer under head? Pipe plugs?

WaterDrain01a.jpg

Originally posted by GLCraigGT

Yeah those holes get bolts with seal washers.

Great. Now I'll have to go try to dig up 12mm fine thread short bolts. On a Sunday. Well, it's not supposed to be easy, I guess.

If you have a turbo the water supply for the turbo connects there instead of the bolt with washer.

Now wait a sec . . . if I've got a turbo, I've got multiport heads, don't I? This thing is SPFI, with single ports.

Don't the EA82Ts heads have multi intake ports?

I was under an '86 RX turbo today, and the water line connects to a different port, one that's horizontal.

I assume that the NA drain ports I plugged are never used for turbo water lines. I guess that would have been my point, had I been able to think clearly.

Anyway, I obtained two 12mmx1.25x50mm bolts, cut them to half lenght, and seated them with copper washers and a dab of RTV. Seems fine.