Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 spfi trouble

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some spare tires to trade for the pugs...

Ben. I think maybe you killed the MAF.

There should be one at wrench n go still. Up near the fence.

Don't spray a maf unless you have received a maf code, they are fragile so you might have killed it the first time you sprayed it. what did you clean it with? MAF or brake cleaner.

I hope you have this sorted out later today. I have spare mafs, for the ej22 series.

cheers.

Ok so heres what i've come up with. The fuel pump is dead and everything else is a coincidence. I used to hear the fuel pump prime the system before it started. While i was messing with this at half turn i could hear the fuel pump kick on while it started the car. Just a few minutes ago while trying to start the car i turn the key and don't hear anything. Ive been trying to start the car for a while now over and over again. So i turn the key and don't hear any noise. Ok so more proof, i pop off the feed line to the throttle body via after the fuel filter. Sure enough no fuel is coming through, when just a hour ago i did the same thing and fuel shot through. I think the maf was just a coincidence because it was running with the maf sitting on the spare tire but then died and never repeated itself. This is my conclusion.

I have some spare tires to trade for the pugs...

Ben. I think maybe you killed the MAF.

There should be one at wrench n go still. Up near the fence.

Don't spray a maf unless you have received a maf code, they are fragile so you might have killed it the first time you sprayed it. what did you clean it with? MAF or brake cleaner.

I hope you have this sorted out later today. I have spare mafs, for the ej22 series.

cheers.

If i get some money i might grab it anyways but i want to see if this fuel pump thing pans out. It most certinally isnt working but it still could be up in the air.

you mess with high pressure fuel, have fire extenguisher near, and escape route.

could be it but that is just too odd to have it occur when you were messing with maf and valve cover air box. I saw the pic, airbox off for filter, bet its something like a hose there.

If you have a working fuel pump, you will have fuel everywhere, so have a catch can and be careful.

Ok let me clarify, thanks for looking out for me but i did have the fuel shooting into a pop bottle so were ok, no fuel on the ground or the engine. I can understand on how you woudl think it was something simple like an vac hose but im telling you ive traced ever line 3 times. If its there its way hidden. Fuel pump is shot, now i just need to save up for a new one. Which will be harder since i need to sell one of my children to put the gas in this fuel pig.

Plug in the green connectors to cycle the pump. You should hear the realy clicking on and off when the key is in run position. The relay is located above the ecu on a clip on the steering column. The brown relay.

Plug in the green connectors to cycle the pump. You should hear the realy clicking on and off when the key is in run position. The relay is located above the ecu on a clip on the steering column. The brown relay.

I hooked up the 2 green connectors and put it in the run position. Nothing happened. The last time i did it last year it worked but not now. I also checked the fuse and all of those were ok. With it suddenly not starting at all and just a few minutes before that it was starting and running badly. Wouldnt that lead you to believe that the fuel pump is dead.

Edited by The Dude Abides

even if the fuel pump was bad, the relay should be kicking off and on. If there is no action of the relay, then that or its wiring/fuse would be the problem. You should hear it click any time you turn the key to the run pos, and any time the engine is cranking. You can actually turn the key just before the starter, but past run, to trip the relay.

What will it sound like, just a click or a humm. Went out and tried, i heard nothing. It will be obvious im sure. I should note that again the alternator regulator is bad so lots of unnecessary xtra current has been flowing through the wires. Could this of destroyed the relay or even the fuel pump.

I would start at checking all the fuses one more time. Either pull them all out and get a good look, or poke them with a test lite. any fuse that lights up on one side, but not the other, is bad.

You might be able to swap out the fuel pump relay with one of the AC ones under the hood on the passenger firewall

running unregulated power will cause all sort of erratic symptoms... a lot of electronics will not work at all if they sense above or below "normal" voltages.

Especially with EFI, the computer, and injectors all work off of differing voltages, and if you are starting out too high...

First order ofbusiness should be putting in a good alt. I'll bring a good alt into town tomorrow... and I can get the rings from you... (unless you need to come get it tonight...)

As of right now i have no mode of transportation. Subaru is down and the truck is out of gas. No money for either of those things right now so i cant get to your place mick. Let me know when you can show up, i dont have work until 3:00 but maybe i can talk my wife into you showing up here and swaping her the alternator for the box of rings.. I can install the alternator myself.

On a side note guys ive been driveing it like this for quite some time. I never went super high in the rpms but at this point im not counting anything out. Though this winter i did blow both headlights out and blew the heater fuses which i fixed both of those things.

I would start at checking all the fuses one more time. Either pull them all out and get a good look, or poke them with a test lite. any fuse that lights up on one side, but not the other, is bad.

You might be able to swap out the fuel pump relay with one of the AC ones under the hood on the passenger firewall

Are you talking about the fuses under the dashboard because i looked at all of those and they are good.

Ok, i found out some very interesting things tonight and none of them are good. 1st off its not geting any gas. I tool the fuel pump relay off and looked it over. When i put the key to on position i could feel it click so i think thats good. I hooked the green connectors up and barely heard the fuel pump make a little noise but it was brief.

2nd its not getting any spark either. A friend of mine came over and we checked the car over. We put alittle gas into the throttle body to see if it would pop and it did nothing. So we pull off a plug wire to see if theres spark. Nada. So................................................ now what.

Did i fry the computer.

Its ok man, a better day for that is friday if you want. On fridays i get off at 330 in the afternoon so if you wanted to meet somewhere then that would be cool. Or you could come out here and help me sort out this pig. Hey do you have a computer also. Not looking to swipe it from you, just trying to deduct what could be wrong here.

Well I believe on the EA82 the disty controls the circut as well, and the belt may not be broke, but may be missing teeth causing it not to fire.

Thats what I found on a '93 Turbo sedan, the belt was missing teeth, but crackned normal.

Tip to you, leave the belt covers off...