Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really Bad steering wheel shake

I'm not sure, if the problem does come back, then I would suspect that to be the culprit, theres nothing else left

Let me know if there is any change in how it drives.

Seems to be just as bad, (not locked up, just hanging up) got pretty hot today after a 30 mile drive.....

Sooooo.... can I use my old bracket with a new caliper or do I need to replace both at the same time???

Current caliper and bracket were both installed 15,000 miles ago, about 1 1/2 years old.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems to be just as bad, (not locked up, just hanging up) got pretty hot today after a 30 mile drive.....

Sooooo.... can I use my old bracket with a new caliper or do I need to replace both at the same time???

Current caliper and bracket were both installed 15,000 miles ago, about 1 1/2 years old.

As long as the caliper is the same style (And it should be) then you can use your bracket, I bet there is something wrong with the pistons in yours. Maybe it was ran dry once and has now a build up of crap and making them get stuck after useage.

If you get the caliper from NAPA, you might get an entire assembly (With bracket) don't quote me on that, but you might.

Either way, as long as the new one you buy has the style where its two bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket then you are good to go. The other style will only have one bolt and the other end will just ride on a slide pin.

hopefully didn't waste too much time - but in the future if you crack open the bleeder screw and the caliper still doesn't release/free up, then it's not the hose. hose will retain pressure in the line and on the rotor...cracking the bleeder valve slightly will relieve the pressure and seized caliper. if that doesn't happen then that's not the problem.

wow, what a pain. another failed caliper and a new one that failed? :confused:

no need to replace the bracket, there's nothing functional to it - it just holds the caliper in place.

If you get the caliper from NAPA, you might get an entire assembly (With bracket) don't quote me on that, but you might.

Former owner who replaced caliper and bracket, paid an extra $30.99 for the bracket. (But he had the work done in a shop)

Maybe I will just clean mine up real good on a wire wheel or sandblast.

Opinions on painting it??

HAHA I "quoted" you on that!!!

Edited by KaraK

Former owner who replaced caliper and bracket, paid an extra $30.99 for the bracket. (But he had the work done in a shop)

Maybe I will just clean mine up real good on a wire wheel or sandblast.

Opinions on painting it??

HAHA I "quoted" you on that!!!

Yeah a steal wire wheel will work, then just paint it with some rustolium.

hopefully didn't waste too much time - but in the future if you crack open the bleeder screw and the caliper still doesn't release/free up, then it's not the hose. hose will retain pressure in the line and on the rotor...cracking the bleeder valve slightly will relieve the pressure and seized caliper. if that doesn't happen then that's not the problem.

wow, what a pain. another failed caliper and a new one that failed? :confused:

no need to replace the bracket, there's nothing functional to it - it just holds the caliper in place.

Yeah..... It was o.k., spending the day with a Subaru, and a new friend :)

I had it in my head, that hose was going---So it went.

Pardon my extreme ignorance, Is there any possible way, that a heated wheel that won't turn could, even remotely, be something else?? Wheel bearing?? Again, pardon my exreme ingnorance. :slobber:

What is up?? If it is the caliper?? This one looks so much better than the driver side that doesn't heat up. Could there be a reason this side was bad, 2 times in 15,000 miles.? Driver side is original to the car.

Something with the master?? Proportioning valves?? Just poor re-manning/fluke??

We both know the brake is whats holding it up, as once we take the caliper off, the wheel turns freely.

Can the ABS junction box be causing some type of issue?

Duuuu:slobber: I guess I did know that!

Got a caliper ordered up, gonna pull that rotor and have it turned.

multiple calipers failures is weird.

i'd get it to "lock up" again and then crack the bleeder screw open. if that causes it to free up - then that would mean something in the hydraulic lines is causing it to sustain hydraulic pressure like:

1.hose (you already ruled out)

2. ABS module (i'm not sure if that's possible or not, not sure how it operates but seems plausible?)

3. Proportioning valve (i don't know the failure modes of these, it would be worth a search

4. Master Cylinder - not sure a master can cause one caliper to lock up, Subaru master cylinder failures are really rare.

Was this car ever wrecked?

*** If cracking the screw doesn't free it up - then it's not hydraulic pressure related.

Tom already diagnosed it as brake related....so that would have to point to caliper...which is looking very possible at this point...though fishy?

:eek::confused:

good luck!

Tom already diagnosed it as brake related....so that would have to point to caliper...which is looking very possible at this point...though fishy?

good luck!

Well seeing the caliper was put in at a shop in Alabama, makes me wonder, if the mechanic pulled the pistons out and somehow damaged the bore or piston to result in a "Returning Customer" ?

Once you get the new caliper and get it one, I would like to inspect the old one and pull the pistons to see whats up.

Well seeing the caliper was put in at a shop in Alabama, makes me wonder, if the mechanic pulled the pistons out and somehow damaged the bore or piston to result in a "Returning Customer" ?

Once you get the new caliper and get it one, I would like to inspect the old one and pull the pistons to see whats up.

They knew dude was from WI, they took his credit card no doubt, before work began.

You can do whatever you want to it:grin: :rolleyes::banana: As long as it's o.k. to return for a core (They trust me, and aren't charging a core)

They knew dude was from WI, they took his credit card no doubt, before work began.

You can do whatever you want to it:grin: :rolleyes::banana: As long as it's o.k. to return for a core (They trust me, and aren't charging a core)

Yeah I can put it back together like it was.

Maybe they just wanted to screw this dude over Lol!

multiple calipers failures is weird.

i'd get it to "lock up" again and then crack the bleeder screw open. if that causes it to free up - then that would mean something in the hydraulic lines is causing it to sustain hydraulic pressure like:

1.hose (you already ruled out)

2. ABS module (i'm not sure if that's possible or not, not sure how it operates but seems plausible?)

3. Proportioning valve (i don't know the failure modes of these, it would be worth a search

4. Master Cylinder - not sure a master can cause one caliper to lock up, Subaru master cylinder failures are really rare.

Was this car ever wrecked?

*** If cracking the screw doesn't free it up - then it's not hydraulic pressure related.

good luck!

Not sure if the car was ever wrecked- before purchase searches came up clean, but if someone fixed on their own, or had a buddy fix, It wouldn't show up right?

If anyone knows about proportioning valves, or ABS feel free to chime in.....

It would still show up as a Police report, Looking at it, I don't see anything that could have been involved in a wreck, It all looks factor and the fender bolts all look factory torque and the paint is still on them (Having never been removed)

Good luck Kara!

Also, if you get bord while waiting for your caliper. You can take off that dumb intake cover and then the bottom splash guard.

Did you know, a Skid plate from a EA82 (Loyale/GL) would bolt up to your Outback. Something to think about :)

Also, if you get bord while waiting for your caliper. You can take off that dumb intake cover and then the bottom splash guard.

Did you know, a Skid plate from a EA82 (Loyale/GL) would bolt up to your Outback. Something to think about :)

Been busy w/ other stuff, ElCamino,house,school exc.....

I know the cover/guard is dumb, but when I take them off I gotta store them-You've seen my garages!!!:eek:

Been busy w/ other stuff, ElCamino,house,school exc.....

I know the cover/guard is dumb, but when I take them off I gotta store them-You've seen my garages!!!:eek:

Well, I would take the intake cover for you, and hang it on my wall for "Art" and if you ever want it back, just ask.

Well, I would take the intake cover for you, and hang it on my wall for "Art" and if you ever want it back, just ask.

Hate to say it, but it will probly be on my wall, next to my "beloved" GMC grill.

I will try to love them both equally.... That will come in time, I'm sure.......

Tom (TheLoyale) and I replaced caliper today, so far so good- after a couple mile test drive, all wheels seem to be the same temperature.

Big Thank You to Tom!!!

I didn't do much, I know you could have done it by you're self, but I figured I was sitting there ;)

I didn't do much, I know you could have done it by you're self, but I figured I was sitting there ;)

Yeah, blocking my access to the wheel well area!!:grin: is all good, it's done. (I hope) You are just not happy if you're not wrenching on something hey??

This stuff should really be here, and not in my Hi! thread on the welcome page... O.k. I guess I don't know how to "copy and paste" here... so I'll retype the gist of it...

Odd thing, the "turned" rotor w/ new caliper, seems to have surface rust as if the pads aren't gripping to wear it off...

xbeerd says... "maybe caliper is stuck open,like pins are binding, not allowing it to close"

I kept the old bracket, just cleaned it up. Old bracket appears to be aftermarket, as one of the slides that came w/ the new caliper had a little rubber tip on the end (same as stock/original driver side) Whereas old/bad caliper had both slides the same (no rubber tip)

The one new slide w/tip did not slide well in the old bracket, so we reused one of the old ones. They are lubed, and seem to move well.

Also, new caliper came w/a little clip thingy, about the size (not shape) of a paperclip, we didn't know what to do w/it so it's sitting in a baggy next to the computer. I will try to get a picture of it into an upcoming post.