Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torxxx, Snowman, Northguy AK lift kits

P K

Hi guys,

Shipping to Chugiak, AK options:

Kit price plus additional $10/each - US Mail Parcel Post (with possible Canadian Post inspections/invasion) 7-14 days

Kit price plus additional $55/each - FedEx Ground (should be fairly secure) 5-7 days

Kit price plus additional $62/each - USPS Overnight - actually 2 nights (best security potential)

Well, everything is a bit more pricey to AK (except probably gas - San Diego gas is now $2.20/gal reg, WTF?)

Email me with your thoughts. Ready in a couple weeks.

r/PK

those are pretty respectable prices..

The airmail thing should be fine.. airmail is flown into alaska, not trucked.. Well it was last time I checked anyways.

FedEX ground seems that it would prolly be searched unless they fly the ground mail to alaska and then truck it from there.

Ozified - what about prority mail? should be less than over night.. maybe something like 30 bucks.. I'd check the post office myself on prices, but I dont get off work until 7 pm.

I just visited Alaska Airlines cargo site (1-800-225-2752) and the information posted there says you can ship at economy rate, up to 250 pounds from airport (San Diego) to airport (Anchorage) for $85.00, if you're willing to drop them off at the cargo area / freight office. If you could do that, Patrick, that should put the price for shipping considerably lower and guarantee no molestation of the package. How does that sound? PK, Torxxx, Kelly? Let's get this sewed up.

I am in.

Talked with AK Air Cargo. They were very nice, but in the end, either the shipper or receiving shipped must be a "KNOWN SHIPPER COMPANY" to Alaska Air. Since they carry passengers as well as cargo on same plane, the Known Shipper status is required. The company needs to have a background security check and history.

I do not qualify. (Must be all those kits I shipped to Cuba..., jk) hmm even though I have over two years history with FedEx and UPS, she said no, has to be with AK Air.

Anyway, I tried- their rate is now a flat 0.89/lb for regular cargo. She quoted me $128.38 for the three kits at 140 lbs total from San Diego to Anchorage. just FYI for comparison.

I will call FedEx to see if they fly partway or bypass Canadian pervue... but for the extra $7, USPS overnight might be the best.

r/PK

NAClink, a division of Northern Air Cargo is another airshipper, and I received a set of Pug wheels from Ed Rach through them. I'll try to get a quote from them and let you know. If that is the case, payment for shipping can be paid to them at point of pick up. Maybe that's the route to go - less outlay for you. I'll report back. In he meantime, Torxxx and Snowman - let's hear from you.

Got the quote from NAC link - $187.00 deferred freight (5 - 12 days) that's an additional $62 each. Sounds like the Fed ex route is the best option. I'm down for that, and Kelly and Torxxx, I will order and pay in the next 3 days. So if you are on board, let's hear and get some money to PK.

And after looking at this, it appears that there is no advantage to ordering the kits in a bundle. So, Torxxx, it might be better to have yours sent to Fairbanks and if you find the time to get together with us, we'll certainly help you with it. And Kelly, you may as well have yours sent to your dorm. We can link up later for the install. So, PK, Yes, put my order on. Let me know how you want payment, and I'll PM or e-mail you the address. I'll take you up on the Fed ex route.

Guys go ahead and order yours. I won't have money for a few weeks, so I'll order mine later. The way work is going now, I can't afford to take any time off to come down there so I'm most likely still going to get my lift, I just wont be able to come down there as early as you guys are going to do it.

I will probably have time in May between the change of going back home to go commercial fishing. I could alway stop in wasilla and then make my way back to prince william sound.

If something changes, I will make sure you let you guys know if I can make it down there.

Thanks