Ultimate Subaru Message Board

00 Outback Buildup

Scott in Bellingham

Got a 2000 Outback wagon its

Blue/gold Looks like your wagon Gregg what year was yours ?

5 speed

2.5 EJ single cam engine

16" alloy rims

I got it to make up a lift kit as I dont have the newer style 2000+ style with the multi link rear suspension

its got a good engine, the trannys in the back seat rear sections all tore apart looks like a bad central Diff, after I make a lift for it I just might fix er up for a new wheeler, if so I may drop in a Dual range and add some mudders, got a few questions, will 15" wheels fit on this baby? as all my mudders are 15" , also I have a older 5 speed from a 91 Leg Wag would that bolt right up and use the same driveshaft? I noticed it has a hydrolic clutch release , would that work on a older trany? also whats the rear diff ratio? also whats the largest tire that will fit? I have some 235/75-15 MT Bighorns would like to slip them under there will they fit? looks like room in the rear, just may have a strut clearence issue in the front , anyway this may take some time . first will be lift design and construction, then more

5719810155_a229e24e2b_z.jpg

5719810151_00cfa9867e_z.jpg

yep, that will have the 276mm 2-pot front brakes, which will fit under 15s just fine.

I believe that should have a 4.111 axle ratio. Which is the same as the 5MTs in first-gen legacies.

The push-style hydraulic transmissions (what that has) are easily converted to cable (move the pivot ball, swap the fork, bolt the cable bracket on). But I'm not sure about the other way around. I don't think the older trans will have the other mount for the pivot ball, or the holes for the slave cylinder. I'm sure something could be done, but it's probably not going to be totally bolt-on.

But yes, crossmember, linkage, and driveshaft will all be fine.

yea, only the 2.5s got the hydraulic clutch. And in '96 the outback MTs were 2.2, and I don't think the LGT started until '97.

It MIGHT have the newer casting though, which would mean the extra hole for the other pivot location, and mounts for the slave.

But, if it were me. I'd drop the gears and such from the '91 into the '00 case.

Mine's an '03 so bigger front brakes/ calipers( I ground the calipers down to fit 15" rims.)

'01 was the model year change to bigger brakes/calipers.

H6 that thing and make a real beast! Gut the interior to save some weight, add some tube bumpers

Edited by scoobyclimbs

Yeah, i have a 2" lifted one. It kisses the wheel wells in the rear with stock tire (225/65/R16). Even if you don't want to grind the calipers you can always add a lower profile caliper, however you are pre the bigger brakes, so you can run 15's NP. And yeah, they are heavy, my 2002 VDC is over 2 tons... but with just primacy mxv4s i haven't gotten stuck anywhere.. not that i've gone anywhere TOO sticky.. ripped across very muddy corn fields this spring, sure it could get stuck if i tried... Yet to destroy the bumper but my mud flaps aren't fairing well and are gonna get a replacement due to lots of high speed gravel... need a new front bumper.. someone needs to make them again =/

Yeah, you run in to problems with the spring perch if you try to run.. any tire. Needs 4" of lift to deal with the caster issues i think. I am also going to put 1" spacers on mine to deal with the narrower stance the lift left me with and to deal with the spring perch. How to completely deal with the spring perch would be to put a modded strut top lift so it has 2000-2003 style top and a 2004 lower so you can mount megan racing coilovers, then no spring problems, and adjustable suspension. Do i honestly feel like spending all this money on my DD though? I don't think i do. Spend money on something else... like something with a frame, aftermarket support and a car someone else might want after you dump a few grand on it getting it off-road worthy. Stupid to lecture i guess though.. just finding my OBW to be more trouble than worth for any off-road application.

post-36266-136027647957_thumb.jpg

Edited by lesstutrey