Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oops! Wiring issue

Hi,

I decided to fix some wiring issues in my 91 loyale. Some of the wires on this connector http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/nickmohrbacher/91%20Subaru/?action=view&current=IMAG0480.jpg were messed up, so I went to the junk yard and clipped a new one. I made sure that the new one had all the right wires on it and everything, but what I didn't notice was that there are 2 wires that are colored the same until I cut the one off of my car. I don't know if you can tell, but there are 2 black/white wires on this connecter. I was hoping someone could help me identify what they were and where they go to. The connector is located behind the fuse box on the driver's side. The wire that was goobered up was the large green/yellow one. Anyway, I made a best guess as to which wires went where and the car runs, but now the CE light just blinks non-stop and the ECU gives a 5 light flash (Vehicle ID?). It seems to run fine, so I don't plan on changing anything unless I find out I'm tricking the computer or something.

http://s748.photobucket.com/albums/xx125/nickmohrbacher/91%20Subaru/?action=view&current=IMAG0481.jpg

Looking at the picture of the connector on its side I only see 1 blk/wht wire, the second pin slot from the top. There are two blu/wht wires in slots 5 and 6. The wire in slot 6 may also have a red strip along with the white. Check the colors carefully using a good light source and maybe a magnifier.

I edited the pictures to point out the wires. They are both definitely black/white with no other colors and are both the same gauge. I could always assume this means they are the same thing, but chances are they are not and therefore, could be incorrectly connected. 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time though.

The wires you pointed out in slots 2 and 6 of the connector show up as blue/white on my monitor. I'm not sure why there is a mix up about that.

It is hard to say what connector ties to. The easiest thing to do may be to cut those wire in question and then see what happens. You don't want to leave the system in the test mode.

The only wires I could find on http://the12volt.com

that match your description is for the starter. But those look pretty small to send power to the starter unless they control a relay. It could be possible that they do the same thing as in they both send/receive power when the circuit is closed. One could send power to the starter relay and one could kill the power to the accessories. This is all hypothetical cause I've never worked on the under dash wiring on a 91' loyal but when I put a new back hatch on my 85' I had two wires that were the same color and did the same thing. Sorry if I didn't help you get any further.

yes, Cougar, they are in slots 2 and 6, but I am sorry, in real life they are black/white. Please just take my word for it, I am not color blind. As for AK_kev_007, I agree, I think they may do something similar to that.

You need to get the ECU out of the test mode. I assume you don't have the test plugs tied together under the dash. I suggest you cut one of the wires in question and then see what happens. Then cut the other one and see what happens. You may need to then swap the wires. If you do this I suggest you mark one set at least so you can keep them straight.