Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So my 97 Legacy Brighton EJ22 5MT has been knocking when you up shift... symptoms are it knocks only on the up shift going up a hill, flat road, but not down hill. My thoughts are a bad u-joint in the drive shaft, or worn mounts somewhere. I had the trans replaced a few months back but it did this noise with the old one as well, but I'm almost 99.9% sure it has nothing to do with the tranny and the fact that it comes from right under the back seat leads me to the drive shaft. All of the exhaust mounts are new and it is nice and stiff. The exhaust was my first idea but now...I dunno any ideas or has anyone had the same prob. I have no vibration per say just some from the snow tires that are on it.

Problem solved, GD was under the rear end and noticed one of my "mishaps" :lol: We take it on some pretty rough forest roads since we hike so much and it looks as if we hit a fairly large rock, enough to bend the bracket supporting the mustache bar and causing vibrations through the entire cabin and not allowing that bushing to flex like it should causing the clunk between gear changes. Nothing a hammer couldn't fix:banana: Thanks again Rick!!

It's the bracket that supports the end of the mustache bar that holds up the front of the diff. It's bolted to the body with a couple of 8mm bolts and then a large 12mm bolt that goes through the rubber bushing mount of the mustache bar. It was bent such that the metal ring that supports the mustache bar rubber bushing was actually touching the mount - causing a knocking noise and vibration due to the metal-on-metal contact that was bypassing the rubber bushing mount.

Removed the bracket, Hammered it straight on the anvil, and reinstalled. No big deal really - finding it was the biggest chore.

GD