Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What a Turd

So because guido is down, bills are due and the truck drank so much fuel i resorted to drastic measures. Sold the truck, paid off some bills and saved some money asside for guidos repair bill. So what now, well i had to get something to get me to work, bus doesnt run at 1 in the morning. Friend of mine had this thing. 1992 Buick Lesabre with 3800 motor. To say this thing is a turd is an understatement. Ive just began sorting through the cheep problems. 1st off it had no brakes because its been sitting for a few years, was covered in tree sap and leaves. Inside was grungy, cd player had a cd stuck in it, no door or trunk key, only 1 working window.

So first thing we do is take it over to my buddy rons house and work in the brakes. After replaceing a master cylinder which was so rusted on i thought that was gonna be it right there we start pumping up the brakes and bleeding them when pow a brake line up front ruptures. Teriffic so another parts store run and 2 hours latter due to rusty connections thats back on but all the air went to the back now so forget it well mess with it another day. Im looking this thing over all weekend to try and see why it has such a bad miss hopeing its not the expensive coil pack. Started notice coolant leaking only to discover the rad has a pinhole crack on the side of it. Teriffic, and i took off a plug wire only to realize i only needed to remove 1 to see the problem. There is enough carbon on the plug end to stop a lightning strike from going through, and the plugs look like they were on there since cliniton was in office. All in all the only good thing about this thing is that it does have working a/c and despite all the problems it still does run and drive somewhat so it can atleast get me to work.

Heres a photo of it after a much needed bath, and believe me this picture makes it look alot better then it is.

picture.php?albumid=235&pictureid=3076

I like the 3.8, but why not buy a good awd subaru that is 110% on upkeep?

this looks like no rust so good start, but how many miles. it may need about 2500 in repairs just for roadworthy, shocks, struts, brakes, timing chain sprockets (they are plastic sprockets and let go) tires, etc.

ammoina works good for tint gunk. razor blades work too.

Brent i would love an awd subaru and i would of even took an automatic. "But there just to expensive and the only cheep one i had any type of bite on was your Rs (maybe) and a brighton in milwaukee. After the subaru S**t out on me i was up a creek without a paddle. Im not putting 2500 bucks into this thing at all. Ive got 500 into it includeing what a i bought it for. That leaves me hopefully enough to pay to have my subaru fixed and bills. Im going to need to wait a few years until i can afford a nice car. IM even thinking about getting a 2nd job, things are just terrible money wise now and i dont see them getting any better. But hopefully this car will last a while.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Those 3.8 V6s are pretty good motors. I have two of them in my life time, put well over 250,000 on both. Had friends that had them too that put well over that mileage as well. When I was in high school we took my friends 1988 Buick with 3.8 down to St. Louis and back to Milwaukee area, it had 388,000 on it at the time, had no issues. Pretty solid transmissions in those cars too.

After i tuned it up and fixed the windows it worked perfect. But then my grandma decided to trade in her car and that had lower miles and got better gas mileage. I still wouldnt be getting rid of this car if the other one wasnt slightly better. Get over 35mpg in the thing.

my dad put over 460k miles on his 88 olds ciera 3.8 But after i switchd my parents over to subarus, they sold it and it is still running around it is a daily driver for who they sold it too. yes, 460k and counting, but my dad was a GM mechanic for 41 years so he maintained it to perfection.