Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speedometer problem in 84 Brat

I have an 84 Brat that I picked up from a guy locally a couple months back that is in good to very good condition. One problem I am having though is with the speedometer. Sometimes it works fine, but most of the time the needle just goes all the way around and buries itself on the bottom when I start moving. Anyone had this problem or know what might be causing it?

• Like 1

Very common problem. Oil from the transmission has migrated up the speedometer cable and into the speedo head and is dragging the needle around. Only fix I know of is to replace the seal at the transmission to prevent this in the future and replace the speedometer unit and cable. Do a search on this; it's been written up before.

Edit: Cleaning the speedo head might be possible; I never tried it. Also, cleaning the speedo cable and re-greasing it might also be possible.

• Like 1

I had that problem, and cleaning the cable really didn't work. Even the new cable I put in didn't work. I suspect in my case the actual speedo unit got damaged from the cable spinning too much for too long and, unexpectedly, the needle shot off with a loud pop after more than a year of no movement. I had to replace the whole gauge cluster and now no problems. If you can't fix it with the easy methods, you may want to yank out the cluster and look to see if the speedo is damaged.

Edited by eVIL_NTT
typo
  • Like 1

I had that problem, and cleaning the cable really didn't work. Even the new cable I put in didn't work. I suspect in my case the actual speedo unit got damaged from the cable spinning too much for too long and, unexpectedly, the needle shot off with a loud pop after more than a year of no movement. I had to replace the whole gauge cluster and now no problems. If you can't fix it with the easy methods, you may want to yank out the cluster and look to see if the speedo is damaged.
The point of cleaning the cable and replacing the seal on the transmission is to keep the replacement speedometer from having the same problem again. In any event, replacing the speedo will be a necessity unless you're very lucky in cleaning out all the grease that got into the head.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have had this problem with my 86 XT DL.  I have pulled the speedo head and am working on a replacement, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me the Subaru part number for the oil seal.  My local dealer has only been a Subaru dealer for 3 years and didn't even know what an XT was, and the seal that he order isn't even close to fitting.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Give Jason in Parts (Dealer in Auburn, WA) a call.  He's quite familiar with the earlier models.  Does online sales with a pretty good discount off list.  I know he's not local to you but that shouldn't matter.  The other rub is he would need to special order seal to get it to you.  Toll free number:  8 six six 5 two eight five 2 eight two. Have your VIN # ready if you call.  

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

yeah, sort of clipped in. I think ( only did this swap a few months ago, and I think??!!) I tend to slid fingers along cable to the back of the speedo head and feel for the clip(s) and to spread fingers splayed out and pull on cable outer at same time. I undo the two 12mm headed bolts to lower steering column after removing steering wheel for better access 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As far as that oil seal in the transmission end, whereabouts is it and what does it look like? I am going to search for a transmission parts list after this post. Thanks for any information anyone can furnish.

April 24;

So, I have received a new cable and when I pulled the old cable from the trans, I saw the dreaded oil. The seal has breached and I have found that the new cable also replaces that seal. Now, how to insert and screw in the cable end as it seems not to be going in all the way. I realigned the slot with the cable drive and cannot get the cable to mate the "screw" with the hole. Hmmm... Going to the library to see if they have a definitive picture of the hole, its angle, etc. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just put a plug in the hole and use GPS!

Edited by lrgvanman

• 6 months later...

Well, to start off, I attempted screwing in the cable into the trans and had to carefully modify the end of the cable (shorten) by 1/8 inch because the seal was apparently thicker that the original and the cable would not mate. I finally got it into the trans and out of kicks, reassembled and the test drive showed my fear that the speedo is useless and still faulty. So, I put the replacement cluster in and its speedo works but I cannot get half the lights to work and the fuel and the voltmeter are useless. So, does anyone know, how does this cluster safely disassemble? I figure while I am wasting time with futility, I might get lucky at random by cleaning out the original speedo. I mean, what the hell, why not since these things are so scarce that I cannot find yet another replacement? Thanks in advance for any info.