Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Gl no power to fuel pump

So a few days back my GL broke down luckily in my drive way. After poking around I found out that there is no power going to the fuel pump. I tested the pump by using alligator clips and connecting them to a battery jump box just for a few seconds pump fired right up. So then I tested the connectors and had no juice. I checked all the fuses. And I'm now wondering if the relay went out, but I dont know where it is on these cars can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

87 GL SPFI

Edited by NWSubie

Broke the timing belt. The timing belt drives the distributir. The distributor turns on the fuel pump.

Do a simple test; remove the distributor cap and observe the rotor while cranking. If it is not spinning, the belt is your problem.

Ill have to wait until the weekend when I can get a buddy to help check the ditsy. It was just in a shop a few months ago it has new timing belts but I guess they could break still. I really hope its not the belts!

It would be a good idea to check the ECU codes to see if the ECU may be shutting down the pump. Since the ignition is working the ECU shouldn't be turning the pump off.

The fuel pump relay may be next to the ignition relay under the dash in a blue socket.

Well I located the fuel relay today. It was a small round silver thing right next to a brown plasic cube like thing that clicked when I turned to key on. The silver relay did not click however is that right or is it bad. Unfortunetly the local part stores are not much help in getting me a new relay. I did jump the 1 and 2 wires on the blue plug that goes to the silver relay. when key is on pump starts pumping but still no start. I was not intending on driving it like that just a simple test to see if she would start.

The brown relay should be the fuel pump. What you are looking at is the ignition relay, if it has a green plug.

Look under the dash above the fuse panel. there will be 4 relays like the one you mentioned. Try swapping one around and see what the results are.

If that does not work, trouble shoot back to the fuse panel, and back to the fusible links.

Check which fuses come live when the key is on and off, and if any are live all the time, and any that are not that are supposed to be.

Fuse #5 will supply the constant memory voltage to the ECU, and the car will not run if voltage is not present.

Have you replaced the stereo? The green wire on the back of the stereo(single wire with white plug) should be hot all time. If it is not, you can backfeevoltage into this waire to supply the constant volts to the ECU.

The info I have for a '88 model shows the ignition relay is in a brown socket and the fuel pump relay is in a blue one. The previous year may be different though.

I'm pretty certain the brown cube is the ignition relay and the silver one is for the fuel pump. Does the pump turn on without having to jumper the connection in the socket? The relay usually will click when they turn on but there may be something else going on that isn't allowing the relay to turn on. Checking for voltage across the coil of the relay will tell you if it should be on or not. The relay should at least turn on for a couple seconds when the ignition is first turned on and after the engine is running it should always be on.

No the pump will not run unless I jump it. And yes the 87 also uses a blue socket for the fuel relay. Im going to the portland pick n pull tommorow. (its thier anual 50% off sale) so my 80 is gettin an interior swap! But as for the 87 im plannin on grabing a few relays and hoping that does the trick. Ill check back in tommorow.

The trouble may be with the ECU. They can have a transistor fail inside that can cause that trouble. You might see about getting one of those also. Check the model number of yours and write it down so you will have it with you.

• 5 weeks later...

So I wanted to say that my 87 has been back on the road now for a few weeks and the reason she broke down was #5 fuse "hazzard,clock,horn" had blown. After checking the All Data I found that the fuse also controls the ecu, horn and the light at the very rear dome light. I replaced the fuse and all has been well I put about 600 miles on it and have had no issues. So I guess I just wanted to say this for anyone who may have a strange issue like this. Im wonering if my stereo had caused the issue cause it compleatly died right after I swaped the fuse. I kinda doubt it cause my stereo was connected to its whole own wire ran right to the battery. I removed it and and just using my phone as my stereo now lol.

Yeah I sure, did funny thing is that when the car first broke down I pulled every fuse and checked them all. I did not see it burnt out then. so after a week of trying diffrent things I brought it to my brother who was in the local High school auto program. They poked around and my brother pulled the fuses again and found #5 burt out. Haha I guess the little grimlin in the old girl decided it wanted to mess with me. oh well life goes on and so does my subie!

Any I deas as to why my stereo got damaged? could the ignition wire cause a short and destroy the stereo through the rem wire? Im bummed cause the deck was not even a year old now it just make a buzzing sound for a few seconds and thats it.

for future reference (and I am amazed that no one mentioned this before)...

plug the green test connectors together (under hood near the fuel filter) and it will cycle the fuel pump on & off - key on, without the engine running, for testing purposes. :rolleyes:

I know this to be fact 'cause i used this "feature" to empty the fuel tank on my old 89 GL wagon before hauling it to the junkyard :)