Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm back in it.....my '84 Brat

Numbchux

I was thinking of making this a secretmobile until I had it up and running a bit. but.....screw it....

I just bought this:

241512_2067707330050_1165825034_32517390_1466263_o.jpg

My buddy bought it from Elcaminokurt probably 5 years ago or so. It's an '84. It says it's turbo, but it never was.

I helped him add this stuff:

IMG_7451.JPG.jpg

IMG_7471.JPG.jpg

IMG_4566_Resized.jpg

IMG_4621.jpg

which turned it into this:

IMG_5195_Editted_Resized.jpg

IMG_5067_Editted_Resized.jpg

Those were taken the last time it was really driven, over 2 years ago. He said it didn't start the last time he tried ~ a year ago. We pushed it off the trailer when we got it up to Duluth, jumped it, and it fired right up. Drove it around and into the shop.

Plans:

As some of you know, I'm crew chief for the Ziptie Rally Team. Well, the #171 '04 STi was just totalled last weekend at RallyMN. Well, we bought a '96 impreza brighton as a new shell. I should be able to get the EJ18 out of it for next to nothing.

SJR adapter plate (came with the brat)

Starting with an RX FT4WD D/R trans. convert it to 4.111 (I have a front R&P) or 4.444 (I have a rear set). convert it to 1.592:1 low range. And a phase 2 STi center VLSD.

Carbonetic front LSD

rear LSD. Either OEM clutch-type, or carbonetic

• 3 weeks later...

started on the rear disc swap. First step was convert the disc hubs to 6-lug.

well, broke 2 1/2" drill bits trying to use a hand drill on the first hole.

Then borrowed a benchtop press, and got the hole drilled, to find out that was too small a hole for the EJ lug studs I had.

Ordered a 35/64 bit, which was perfect.....

DSCF1318.jpg

I have to swap my 200SX calipers onto my XT6, and then I'll have calipers for the brat.

Hopefully next week I'll get out to the shop to get that all installed, and attend to the front hubs (when the 6-lug swap was originally done, the holes in the hubs were drilled a bit too big, I'm hoping to just find some studs with a larger knurl). And finish mounting the new ignition switch.

Once all that's done, I'll start driving it a bit to work out the kinks.

Well, the threads dont go down far enough on the EJ studs to work with a steel wheel. Grabbed some dorman 610378 studs and got those pressed in today. Weather sucks....so I still haven't gotten the rear calipers swapped out on the XT6.

Also found an OEM part number for the 4.444 front R&P and found a few sources for that....so yea, that's happening.

Might have a line on a 20kg STi phase 2 center diff (stock is 4kg...).

Couple possible sources on 1.59 low range gears.

trying to decide what 5th gear to use. I think with the larger tires, the .871 RX 5th will be fine (about 3100 rpm in 5th at 70), but I have a .780 XT6 5th (2800) gear, or .738 (2650) WRX....

I think with the EJ18 it'll be best with the shorter 5th gear.

• Like 1

hehe, yea, it's pretty sweet.

Before I can start on the really awesome parts, it needed some more basic stuff. For whatever reason, the stock ignition switch was screwed up, and being operated with a screwdriver. So I bought a universal panel-mount one, and mounted it on the dash:

DSCF1321.jpg

And got to work on the rear disc swap. Still have to play musical calipers with my XT6, so the drums are still hanging there by the lines to keep the fluid in. Hopefully I'll get that finished up next week.

DSCF1326.jpg

Also, my buddy used studs that were too long when he did the 6-lug swap. it wasn't much of an issue with the rears, but the front threads were bottomed out before the nuts got even close to the wheels. And, he torqued the crap out of them.....So, the nuts and studs were ruined, and the holes in the hubs are ruined.

Luckily, the toyota wheels have a large enough center bore that clear the 4 bolts that hold the hub to the rotor. So, the hub can be removed with the wheel still on it, so the next time I'm out at the shop, I'll bring some demolishing tools and get those crappy studs removed, and re-do the 6-lug conversion.

THEN it should be driveable :banana:

• 4 months later...

got the rear disc swap finished and the front hubs re-redrilled pretty soon after my last post. Then I didn't get out there for months.

But, I got out there today. I re-installed the wire from the battery to the fusible link box, along with new battery terminals. I was planning on doing some POR15 work on the rust spots......but instead I went out and screwed around in the back 40.

Then the guy who owns the shop came home, and decided to get out his rally car (the rally car hasn't been home for some time since it went off for paint, and then was at another guy's place for trailer modifications) and he came out to join me:

298733_2548591871863_1165825034_33028155_1386682141_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, on a whim, we went up to the offroad park just north of here yesterday. Pretty posh being able to put the brat in a 25 foot enclosed trailer and haul it up with a F-350 with a 7.3 Power stroke and a 6-speed manual transmission. Made it a lot more fun to ride the subaru hard at the park, because all I have to do is limp it out to the parking lot and I'm good.

Had some electrical issues (somehow the alternator is generating voltage, but it's not getting in the battery....started a thread about it in the old-gen section).

Had some running issues. once the engine was good and warm, I had no partial throttle. I had idle, and WOT. anything between just bogged down.

And the stock carb in it's current, neglected condition REALLY didn't like hills. Frequently bogging out on climbs. Even stalling and bogging after steep descents.

Only picture of the brat from the day:

335409_2768312484741_1165825034_33131377_365388738_o.jpg

checking battery connections while waiting for a jeep to turn around and come give me a jump so I could give that hill climb another try.

Oh yea, and the EJ double-springpin I had installed in the shift linkage fell out. I went for a quick 1-2 shift at one point (on the core road, thank goodness), and the shifter came off in my hand (the pivot ball is pretty much shot too....so no resistance there).

So, I got to drive back to the parking lot and load into the trailer with only 2nd Hi or Lo.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good Numbchux!!!

Starting with an RX FT4WD D/R trans. convert it to 4.111 (I have a front R&P) or 4.444 (I have a rear set). convert it to 1.592:1 low range. And a phase 2 STi center VLSD.

I don't know if you know this already, and I'm not meaning to insult you.

The RX FT4wd dual range gearbox with locking centre diff has a longer pinion shaft than the EJ AWD gearboxes - for anything different to 3.7 or 3.9 final drive ratio you will need to cut and shut the pinion shaft:

p4220005rs.jpg

p4220006rs.jpg

^ This is my cut and shut 4.11 R&P gearset that will end up in my RX FT4wd gearbox with the 1.59:1 L series low range behind my EJ. I know it's up to the task as it was previously behind a version 5 EJ20 turbo.

Also, the centre diff in this gearbox is open until you lock it. It is not interchangeable with the EJ centre diff. The EA pinion shaft is longer as the drive to the front diff is taken from the rear of the centre diff, the rear diff's drive is taken from the front of the centre diff. The EJ is opposite as subaru tweaked their design on this.

I hope this hasn't thrown a spanner in the works for you, being with the rally team you might be able to get the cut and shut job done through them for cheap ;)

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Bennie

You are right, you cannot mix and match the pinion and center diff without major modification. But, I'm using an EJ pinion shaft and EJ center diff. Crisis averted :grin:

I have tested it, Separately. a 4.111 pinion shaft and center diff (from a '93 legacy) will work with an XT6 ouput shaft (lower gearset). I have tested this outside the case.

Also, I have swapped the case halves from an XT6 gearbox with a '94 impreza 4.111 AWD one (all internals, front diff, center diff, and center diff housing) and actually run it.

I am 99.9% confident that it will work as I imagine. I know the 4.444 ring gear will have to be made a bit smaller to clear the low range gearset. I'm confident enough that I'm purchasing front LSD, center LSD, low range gearset, and R&P.

I'll probably have close to a grand into the transmission, and about $500 into the rest of the car.

Had some electrical issues (somehow the alternator is generating voltage, but it's not getting in the battery....started a thread about it in the old-gen section).

Fusible link, or some other problem on the main White wire. If all else fails, run a new wire from Alt to battery with a heavy fusible link.

Had some running issues. once the engine was good and warm, I had no partial throttle. I had idle, and WOT. anything between just bogged down.

And the stock carb in it's current, neglected condition REALLY didn't like hills. Frequently bogging out on climbs. Even stalling and bogging after steep descents.

Remove the top of the carb, and unscrew the emulsion tubes and blow them out with compressed air.

Replace the O-rings on the air horns and it'll run great.

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently the link I had bookmarked with the 4.444 R&P part number is now bad.....had to start the search over.....

so I'll post it here: 38100AB680

Where can you get the 4.444 R&P from? I've searched a little, but I've come up with nothing. The dealer near me wants a ton of money for it.

Will this R&P fit into a 91-92 legacy trans?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Carbonetic clutch-type front LSD, and OEM 4.444 front ring & pinion are in my possession:

IMG_20120504_234107.jpg

Just need the low range gearset, and I can build the transmission. Then I just need a clutch and 25 spline axles, and I can put it in the rig.

trying to decide what 5th gear to use. I think with the larger tires, the .871 RX 5th will be fine (about 3100 rpm in 5th at 70), but I have a .780 XT6 5th (2800) gear, or .738 (2650) WRX....

I think with the EJ18 it'll be best with the shorter 5th gear.

I run an EJ18 in front of a standard 3.9 D/R. My 5th is 7.80. 29" tires

4th gear is great on the highway....5th is fine for flats, and holding steady not accelerating.

Now I'm thinking with 4.44 R&P 7.80 will be great. .871 might be too low geared for best milage.

• 1 month later...

I bought a non-turbo PT4WD D/R trans this weekend. Which SHOULD mean I have everything I need to assemble the trans. Theoretically the ring gear will need some machining, but I have the complete trans, so I will have the 3.9 gear for comparing. The stub axles will have to be modified, but since they will have circlips like the 4EAT, they can be installed after the trans is put back together.

Pics to come tomorrow. I will be tearing this trans apart ASAP.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...